Answered

sonos unable to play ... connection to spotify was lost

Over the last few months we have been unable to play Spotify through our Sonos Play 1 & 3, occasionally a track will start to play but will then stop and we get the error message that has been referred to in many previous posts “sonos unable to play ... connection to spotify was lost”. I’ve been on the phone to a Sonos technician today who tried to resolve the issue, but was struggling to find a solution.  We have a Linksys Velop with 1 additional node.  It was suggested that we change the channels to 6, but I am struggling to do this as I cannot seem to access the Wireless tab when logging into the Router. I will persist with this issue via my ISP, but don’t understand why Sonos Radio plays absolutely fine, but Spotify won’t if it’s a channel issue. Any help answering this last question would be gratefully received.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 June 2021, 16:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @IanB66, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We’re aware of a recent increase in “Connection Lost" errors when listening to Spotify through Sonos, and our engineers are currently investigating - this could be what is causing issues in your system.

Mind sending a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number so we can take a look?

It may also be worth checking if you experience the same issues when using Spotify Connect to play to Sonos from the Spotify app - let us know how you get on :)

It was suggested that I change the channels to 6, which I don’t understand.  Sonos Radio works with the current set up without changing the channels, I have subscribed to Amazon Music to see whether that works and it does, with the current setup.  Can you therefore explain why Spotify does not work on the Sonos and that this seems to be an ongoing problem for numerous people post on Sonos Community.  I do not want to be forced to subscribe to a new Music service just because Sonos has an issue with Spotify that cannot be explained.

Please advise what else can be done, which doesn’t require me to change the channels, which are optimised on the Linksys for a reason.

Who suggested changing the channel to 6, and based on what information?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @IanB66 

Thanks for the diagnostics. They don’t indicate that you’re being affected by the current Spotify issue that is affecting some. What I do see is a high count of failed transmissions from the WiFi node that they are connecting to. As the speakers aren’t reporting significant noise, I would presume that there is a source of noise near the used Velop node. Please read our guide on reducing wireless interference and see if you can reduce the interference near the WiFi nodes.

I also recommend that you reboot your entire network - Velop node and your router, if you have a separate one. Please turn off Sonos at the same time. Once they’ve all been off for 30 seconds, switch on the router (if separate from Velop) and wait for it to come fully on and ready before switching on Velop nodes, then switch on Sonos once your WiFi is up-and-running.

I don’t think you need to change any channels.

I hope this helps.

Airgetlam - suggested by one of the Sonos team who had looked at the diagnostics sent a few days ago.

Corry P.

I have done this on a number of occasions and Spotify plays sometimes for ¾ of a song and the ‘dreaded message’ appears saying connection to Spotify Lost.

If this is interference, can you explain why Amazon Music and Sonos Radio play without any problem, which would suggest that it is a Spotify/Sonos issue????

Interesting. Which suggests that they saw something in the diagnostic that suggested that there was a lot of traffic on channel 6 in your area. So using channels1 or 11 would make sense. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @IanB66 

Although you are getting symptoms that match the current issue we are aware of with playing from Spotify, the error messages I see are not what we’ve been told to look out for in regards to this issue, so I fell back to other explanations. I can’t explain why other sources perform better without further evidence and testing, but it may be due to lower stream quality. Or, perhaps you are experiencing the known Spotify issue but in a different way from other users.

If you initiate Spotify playback on Sonos from the Spotify app, does it play on Sonos without issue? If so, then perhaps it is the known Spotify issue, and you should continue to use the Spotify app to choose music, for now.

If playback from the Spotify app on Sonos still produces the sporadic results, then the issue is most likely to be with local networking. Can you try temporarily connecting one of your speakers with ethernet to your main Velop node, while keeping it 1m away from the node? This will make both speakers bypass your WiFi settings. Please test Spotify playback (from Sonos app) and compare performance to the previous configuration.

Another, easier, thing to try is to disband the speaker group and recreate it by selecting Family Room first and adding Kitchen to it. This will swap the leader of the group and may result in better performance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @IanB66 

I consulted an engineer about this and it seems although we’re not getting the exact messages I mentioned, you are in fact being affected by the current known issue with Spotify, on some systems.

We are working with Spotify on this and you will either need to do nothing at all when it’s fixed, or will just need to install an update. In the meantime, please initiate playback from the Spotify app, as previously suggested.

Apologies for the delay in getting you a concrete answer.

Hi Corry,

Thanks for the update, we are away for a few days so will see if we can play songs from the Spotify App, from memory though I thought we were having the same issue.  Do you have a timeline to get this resolved with Spotify?

Thanks

Ian

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @IanB66 

I’m afraid we have no time-scale to share for how long it will take. We are treating it as a priority, however.