Answered

Sonos turning off Bravia TV

• 2 January 2020
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 1

Just got a Sonos Beam. Connected it to a Sony Bravia TV using HDMI ARC and set up Bravia Sync. Audio is playing great. The TV remote, Apple TV remote, etc can control the Beam volume just fine.

However, I’ve noticed that lately the TV is doing what I might call a “hard power down” after sleeping, but only after having slept for some time. By hard power down I mean that next time I try to turn the TV on by waking a Bravia Sync device (like the Apple TV), the TV won’t turn on like it did before the Beam was added. And when the TV does turn on (which requires using the TV remote), it shows the Sony logo, the Android logo, the four rotating color block animations, etc and takes a minute or so to load.

My hunch is that the Beam is somehow sending a CEC power down signal to the TV, and the TV is interpreting it as a hard power down. 

This only happens after the TV is off for an extended amount of time (an hour or two).

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by loodaddy 5 January 2020, 18:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Yes, they stated that the Sony TV is “forgetting” the Sonos and thus thinks it’s a new device- hence initiating the restart.  This explanation is problematic for a host of reasons.  I felt like they were trying to get rid of me tbh.

Is it happening to any TVs other than Sony? If so, it could be a Sonos issue. If not, it’s liable to be a Sony HDMI-CEC issue. Might be worth double checking to see if there are firmware/software updates for the TV, just in case. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Is it happening to any TVs other than Sony? If so, it could be a Sonos issue. If not, it’s liable to be a Sony HDMI-CEC issue. Might be worth double checking to see if there are firmware/software updates for the TV, just in case. 

Yes I just updated my firmware to their latest version via USB but I’m sorry to say it still has the issue.

Badge

I have an XF9005 (with Sonos beam) that was doing this exact same thing. I was also experiencing some wifi stability issues. In the end, i disabled the TV wifi (now use apple TV 4K) and this actually resolved my rebooting issue. Just thought id put this out there in case it can help anyone else.

The one problem i still have is when turning on the TV using alexa, the TV will turn on but then instantly turn off (only a soft turn off). If i use alexa to turn it on again it will stay on. The problem ususally happens when the tv has been off for a few hours. 

Badge

How long has it been since it rebooted after turning off wifi? I’ve tried changing setting on the tv, sometimes can go 3 or 4 days, but reboot always came back.

Badge

Ive not had it reboot once in the last month. Its worth noting that im running the latest firmware and when i turned off wifi i also turned off “scanning for networks” 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It’s not much good turning off the wifi when I use the Wifi for Netflix, Youtube, movies from my NAS etc.

Badge

Turned off wifi and tv has not rebooted for a week. I use my Xbox for Netflix and stuff anyway. But i loose my built in chrome cast, tv will not auto update with wifi off and Alexa will not be able to turn on tv or anything. Solves one problem but creates a new one.

Badge

Turned off wifi and tv has not rebooted for a week. I use my Xbox for Netflix and stuff anyway. But i loose my built in chrome cast, tv will not auto update with wifi off and Alexa will not be able to turn on tv or anything. Solves one problem but creates a new one.

Yeh i know it’s frustrating. Personally I use an apple TV 4k for everything so it’s not really a problem. But if you rely on the TV smart platform it’s not really an option. Regarding updating the TV: it is possible to do that from USB (in fact it’s probably a bit more reliable). Just search for the relevant support page on the sony website. Updates are quite rare so its not really an issue just checking knce every couple of months to see if there’s an update.

Also the TV can still turn on/off with alexa even with wifi off. That uses cec commands over hdmi.

I have the same issue.

Is it just an annoyance with the reboot then i can live with it until Sony fixes the issue (they rolled back Android 8 due to soundbar issues).

If the issue harms tv or soundbar then it has to be prioritized though.

I would hope that Sony pays attention to this forum, but I would sincerely doubt that it does. I’d be sure to express your concerns directly to Sony. 

I’ve had this issue for over a year now. It’s so annoying. I did the workaround to optical, but I bought this TV specifically to upgrade to HDMI ARC. The powering off is only half of the issue for me. Every time it reboots, it also resets all of my sound settings, so in addition to doing a hard reboot on the TV, I also have to go to the Sound settings on my TV and change output from “TV speakers” to “external audio” -- EVERY TIME. I can’t believe this has not be fixed in over a year.

Since optical is a one way transmission, I.e. the Sony doesn’t receive any data from the Sonos, it certainly seems like this is an issue with the Sony. Have you tried contacting them?

I did find this on another thread, I wonder if it might help you?

Courtesy of method_ben and Smilja in this thread, try this:

• Turn on IP Simple Control
    • Open Settings
    • Go to Network and Internet
    • Go to Home network
    • Go to IP control
    • Go to Simple IP control
    • Toggle On
  • Set RS232C Control to "Via Serial Port”
    • Open Settings
    • Go to Remotes and Accessories
    • Go to RS232C Control
    • Set it to "Via Serial Port”  

Following worked for me. No more boot up when I switch on TV in the morning.

• Open Settings
    • Go to Network
    • Go to Home network
    • Go to IP control
    • Toggle On

Same here. I have a Beam connected to Sony Bravia KD-49X8000G via ARC. When the TV has been turned off and in stand by mode it will do a complete shut down after about 2 hours. The next time you restart the TV it will go into the full Android start up routine. If you disconnect ARC connection, TV stays in stand by mode. Also the TV mute button becomes unstable while the Beam is connected. Sony state that their TV software is not compatible with Sonos. Can you believe this?  If you own a Beam and considering to upgrade your TV, then don’t buy a Sony. 
sony would have to be the the most difficult company I have ever experienced. Sonos on the other hand have been excellent in their support. Hoping they can get Sony to update their crappy software. 

Did anyone find of solution of TV shutdown with HDMI ARC ?

The same issue occurs with Sonos Arc and a Sony TV. 

See grcrew post above yours. That fixed the problem. Sony Technical service were useless. They said that their new software was designed to shut down after being in standby for 2 hours. My experience since carrying out the setting ip Simple control that the TV remains in stand by mode as expected. 

cheers

See grcrew post above yours. That fixed the problem. Sony Technical service were useless. They said that their new software was designed to shut down after being in standby for 2 hours. My experience since carrying out the setting ip Simple control that the TV remains in stand by mode as expected. 

cheers

I already tried it and it didn t work. 

Actually I also turned off the « auto sleep mode with no incoming signal » and the TV didn t shut down during standy mode. Maybe a clue. 

Badge

I’m also having an issue with my Sony A9G and the Sonos Arc. It idles out to a Bravia logo minutes into watching an HDMI connected Fios set up box. I don’t think this is Sonos issue but a Sony issue. I’ve tried every setting, contacted Sony and they tell me it’s just me and not a known issue. They are calling me tomorrow because they need to address this. Call Sony and let them know what’s happening.

Userlevel 1

I’m also having an issue with my Sony A9G and the Sonos Arc. It idles out to a Bravia logo minutes into watching an HDMI connected Fios set up box. I don’t think this is Sonos issue but a Sony issue. I’ve tried every setting, contacted Sony and they tell me it’s just me and not a known issue. They are calling me tomorrow because they need to address this. Call Sony and let them know what’s happening.

Have the same issue with the Arc and my Sony A8H. It would get to that black screen after maybe a minute or so. I’ll get the screen on again by hitting “back” or going into settings. But after about a minute it would go black again with the Bravia logo. Very frustrating. I would also lose sound sometimes with different apps. 

Hi All,

I just wanted to say I have the same issue with my XE9005.

I went a step further and got the crash logs from Android, before knowing the reboot had to do anything with sonos and finding this thread.

If interested, please see my post on the sony forums here: https://community.sony.nl/t5/android-tv/xe9005-crash-when-exit-from-sleep/m-p/3679237#M8013

I also opened a ticket to sony support to see what they make of it.

I have not tried the fixes above yet, but I will surely do (if I don’t write back, it means they worked). 

Following worked for me. No more boot up when I switch on TV in the morning.

• Open Settings
    • Go to Network
    • Go to Home network
    • Go to IP control
    • Toggle On

Had almost given up then I tried this as the tv hasn’t rebooted for 3 days and asking Google to turn the TV on and off now works consistently. This has been a life saver.

We have an XBR900E from late 2017 and are also having this problem with the Arc. We don’t want to use the optical because we’d lose Dolby+. Sidenote, why did Sony put one of the two available HDR ports as the ARC port?

Going to try the IP simple setting as well, we also don’t use any of the smart tv functionality so next step will be to turn off wifi.