Question

Sonos to TV glitch

• 29 August 2019
  • 9 replies

I have 3x Sonos One's installed at my work. While at home, the TV show I was watching (on Amazon Firestick) was interrupted and I was able to hear for approx. 0:30s a live stream of audio from my workplace.

This had a title and was clearly audible - the people at my work place could also hear... my show - is this a connection issue? I am unclear on how the two are even communicating - Alexa ? Amazon?

Any help would be great... thank you.

R

9 replies

I'm not sure this makes a whole lot of sense.

The 'live stream' from your workplace was of what? Just people talking? And where exactly was the 'title' showing? What did it say?

And you're saying that whatever you were watching on the FireStick at home was playing out of the Sonos Ones at work?

Are home and work part of the same network, or miles apart?

Is there a Sonos system at home? And was the work Sonos system set up entirely independently, or was it 'cloned' from a home system by taking a One to work?

Do you use Amazon Alexa to communicate between two locations?
I'm not sure this makes a whole lot of sense.

The 'live stream' from your workplace was of what? Just people talking? And where exactly was the 'title' showing? What did it say?

And you're saying that whatever you were watching on the FireStick at home was playing out of the Sonos Ones at work?

Are home and work part of the same network, or miles apart?

Is there a Sonos system at home? And was the work Sonos system set up entirely independently, or was it 'cloned' from a home system by taking a One to work?

Do you use Amazon Alexa to communicate between two locations?

My work is 10 minutes drive and a separate WiFi network - the screen when black then appeared was a title slide of 'Anything Else' (I imagine this was picked up from someone in the room and chosen as a title). I could then hear an audio stream of people talking in the studio.

My home has no Sonos installed at any point with a separate WiFi network.

One of my members of staff is under the impression he could hear my TV show - which is unusual / unlikely. I don't have Alexa installed at home, but the Firestick...?

Thank you!

R
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
.3 seconds of audio? If the issue happens again, I'd submit a diagnostic within a couple minutes after. You can post the number here, and an Sonos rep will pick it up and be able to tell you what source was playing on which speakers when. Maybe have coworkers do the same for the work system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi rnewman87

That is strange. Are you also saying that the audio came across the Sonos One's? As they cannot connect to a TV; unless grouped to a Playbar, Playbase, Beam or Sonos Amp and possibly a Sonos Connect.

Assumingly, both home and work are on different networks.

The only plausible way that might happen (and this is a very far left field guess) is via an open VPN connection.
  1. Were you by chance casting FireStick video to your TV from your computer?
  2. Do you have a Sonos Connect receiving audio from a TV at work via RCA and in turn grouped to Sonos One’s?
  3. Was your computer linked to your office network over a VPN connection?
Granted none of the above makes sense; but then again neither did Sonos 20 years ago 🤔

Can you share any more information?
Since there's no Sonos system at home the only feasible route seems to be through Alexa.

The Firestick contains Alexa. Presumably the Ones at work have Alexa. It sounds like someone/something may have triggered point-to-point communications in some way, but I'm not an Alexa expert by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe someone else can comment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

My work is 10 minutes drive and a separate WiFi network - the screen when black then appeared was a title slide of 'Anything Else' (I imagine this was picked up from someone in the room and chosen as a title). I could then hear an audio stream of people talking in the studio.

One of my members of staff is under the impression he could hear my TV show - which is unusual / unlikely. I don't have Alexa installed at home, but the Firestick...?

Thank you!

R

Ok, nevermind what I said about diagnostic above. If there is no Sonos at home, then this is not a Sonos issue. You're using the same Amazon account for home and work, correct? Amazon music was playing at work when this happened, right?
.3 seconds of audio? If the issue happens again, I'd submit a diagnostic within a couple minutes after. You can post the number here, and an Sonos rep will pick it up and be able to tell you what source was playing on which speakers when. Maybe have coworkers do the same for the work system.
Thank you!

R

Thank you!

R
Ok, nevermind what I said about diagnostic above. If there is no Sonos at home, then this is not a Sonos issue. You're using the same Amazon account for home and work, correct? Amazon music was playing at work when this happened, right?

Same Amazon Account... perhaps I just disconnect via the Sonos App..

R
Hi rnewman87

That is strange. Are you also saying that the audio came across the Sonos One's? As they cannot connect to a TV; unless grouped to a Playbar, Playbase, Beam or Sonos Amp and possibly a Sonos Connect.

Assumingly, both home and work are on different networks.

The only plausible way that might happen (and this is a very far left field guess) is via an open VPN connection.
  1. Were you by chance casting FireStick video to your TV from your computer?
  2. Do you have a Sonos Connect receiving audio from a TV at work via RCA and in turn grouped to Sonos One’s?
  3. Was your computer linked to your office network over a VPN connection?
Granted none of the above makes sense; but then again neither did Sonos 20 years ago 🤔

Can you share any more information?

I think it's no to all 3 questions!

Seperate WiFi networks, Firestick plugged direct into the TV, Alexa is the only linking factor...

R