Question

Sonos system not found

• 29 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Hi all. I recently took my Play 3 to a neighbours house and set it up on their router. I've now taken it back to my house and can not get a connection. Neither my iphone or PC will show Sonos as being visible to my router (even if I use the ethernet cable). I've explored every option via Sonos support and many Community threads but to no avail. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Some clarifications needed please. When you say you "set it up on their router" what EXACTLY did you do?
What does "Neither my iphone or PC will show Sonos as being visible to my router" mean? What are you seeing in the controller? What error messages are you getting? Have you given it a few minutes after wiring to allow it to settle down before you say it can't be seen?
Thank you for replying John.

I set it up on my neighbours system as a 'New System'. I'm a little hazy about how I did it, but I wirelessly linked their router to my Play 3,

In answer to your other question my iphone does not show the 'Sonos' network when I go to Settings WiFi. The problem seems to be that the Play 3 is still linked to the neighbours router although I would have thought making an ethernet connection to my router would break the wireless connection to my neighbours router.
Hi. There was no need to set up as a new system at neighbours. Did you have many Sonos playlists or favourites, as these have probably been lost. I don't understand what you mean by "my iphone does not show the 'Sonos' network when I go to Settings WiFi". The question is, if you go into the Sonos app on your phone, with the Play:3 Ethernetted to your router, does the Sonos app find the Sonos system? Can you play music?

We'll go from there depending on your reply.
Further thought - for the moment you should not be trying to set up another new system. Although we might end up doing that.
The Sonos App on my phone or PC could not find the Play 3. It also would not allow me to set it up as a 'new system' or indeed an existing system. It simply couldn't find the speaker despite carrying out router, phone and PC reboots, uninstalling the Sonos app, connecting via the ethernet or any other of the many system restart options.

I have now spoke to a Sonos technician and the only course of action was to reboot/reset the Play 3. This was achieved by holding down the play/pause button after disconnect/reconnect to the power supply. I then went through the set up process as though it was fresh out of its box.

Unfortunately for future thread readers I can not inform you of what the actual problem was but I guess the speaker couldn't identify my router, maybe because it was still linked to my neighbours router and as they have gone away I coulnd't break the connection by closing their internet.

Cheers for your help John. Would you have solved it do you think?
Factory reset was my next suggestion, which is why I asked about playlists etc, in case you hadn't already lost them. It is always a last resort because it destroys a lot of info including diagnostic info. I would have expected you to be able to reset the wifi credentials after Ethernetting to your own router, but it didn't allow you to, and the factory reset was last place to go.

Glad it is sorted anyway.
I'd have expected the ethernet to have solved it but anyway thanks very much for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'd have expected the ethernet to have solved it but anyway thanks very much for your help.

That should have.

The Sonos wifi network you were looking for only broadcasts if your player is not set up at all. Since you'd set it up at your neighbor's, it would only broadcast this wireless if you factory reset it again.

The Ethernet should have made the unit visible on your home wireless network to any controllers that had been connected to it at the neighbor's.