Answered

Sonos system either is not found or takes a long time being found every time app is started.

• 16 June 2022
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I recently finally upgraded from S1 to S2, got rid of my Sonos Connect (Gen 1) and added a Sonos Roam.  Ever since then, I’ve had a heck of a time with the S2 apps.  Every time I start the app, whether it be Android, iPhone, or Windows Desktop, it will often fail in finding my system, or if it doesn’t fail, it will take about over 2 mins to finally find the system.  I never had this with my S1, so I’m not sure why these apps are having a hard time finding my system.  When it is found, then things are usually ok, until I stop using it and open the app again later on.  I’ve cold rebooted each player, and reset my router many times.  I can see all four Sonos speakers in my Router’s IP list and they are all on the same 2.4Ghz network.  I can’t figure why it does this and it’s super annoying knowing that I can’t use my Sonos for a while after starting one of the apps.  I have to hope that it will find the system and if not, keep relaunching it.  I’ve even uninstalled and reinstalled the apps.  Does anyone have any ideas?

My four players are three Play:1s and one Sonos Roam.  My router is an Asus RT-AC5300.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 16 June 2022, 04:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Try disabling Airtime Fairness for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands on your router.

You can also try wiring one Play:1 directly to your router with an ethernet cable.

Try disabling Airtime Fairness for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands on your router.

You can also try wiring one Play:1 directly to your router with an ethernet cable.

Wow, you single-handedly not only resolved the issue but also resolved why I have occasional issues finding devices on my network from my phone.  I never connected the two since it worked fine when running S1.  I am not very familiar with the Airtime Fairness setting but turning it off resolved this and the Sonos system is found very quickly.  I am not sure if there is any negative effect for any of my other wifi devices but so far I have not seen any.  There must be something about the way the S2 apps look for the system vs S1 I guess? But since this resolved some other issues, I’m so far thrilled.  :) 

Since this worked immediately, I did not try to wire one of the Play:1s to the router.

Thanks!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Airtime Fairness is intended to keep one fast client from hogging all the available WiFi connection. With it on a data hog will get less time to talk giving slower clients more time.

I have found it does little to nothing here but folks with 10 or more fast clients and some slow ones seem to think it is a good thing.

I’d keep what you have now if it is working for you. If you do need the Airtime Fairness to make your other clients happy you might do as I did, and put your Sonos in wired/SonosNet mode and get all but the Roam and Move off your WiFi.