Answered

sonos sucks

• 22 August 2019
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 1
Once again I cannot get these over priced speakers to connect to an existing network . I have moved my speakers from my summer home (where they never did work because it is a line of crap that they work on a hotspot) back home and they will not connect to my network. How do I reset them as if they were new? Sonos is the most disappointing purchase I have ever made. I cannot understand with today’s technology how these people cannot make a simple speaker plug and play.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 August 2019, 05:34

That's certainly an odd way to ask for help.

If you want to reset them to new, just follow the instructions in the factory reset FAQ.

If you want further assistance, consider your words more cautiously. If I were a Sonos employee, I certainly wouldn't want to assist someone who trashes my product.

In my experience, the set up and maintenance of these speakers has been quite easy. It sounds like you haven't had that same experience. If you would like, there are many folks on this forum who would be willing to assist you, if you don't punch them in the face first.
View original

42 replies

That's certainly an odd way to ask for help.

If you want to reset them to new, just follow the instructions in the factory reset FAQ.

If you want further assistance, consider your words more cautiously. If I were a Sonos employee, I certainly wouldn't want to assist someone who trashes my product.

In my experience, the set up and maintenance of these speakers has been quite easy. It sounds like you haven't had that same experience. If you would like, there are many folks on this forum who would be willing to assist you, if you don't punch them in the face first.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
If you want to connect your speakers to a different network, this is explained here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

In future, if at all possible, I would advise you to use the same SSID an login on your hotspot as you use at home. That way you wouldn’t need to change the networks every time you move your speakers.
Userlevel 1
I can relate to your desire for a product that just works. I've found that to be the case with Sonos. While I'm VERY happy with my Sonos speakers, I got them because they have a reputation for being simple to setup and easy to use. I've found they've consistently delivered on that promise, while also delivering great functionality. Hope your reset works.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
(where they never did work because it is a line of crap that they work on a hotspot)

It's not a line of crap.

Hotspots are designed to connect your device to the internet.

They are not designed for device to device communication, that is why as per the Sonos system requirements, you need a router.

I have just finished setting up Sonos One again and it was complicated. Would not recommend this to anyone looking for simple, stable setup. No one should have to know about DHCP and static IPs to use these things. I am particularly amused by what I must guess are paid Sonos company shills who dismiss the complaints of users as they passionately defend the things as if it were their offspring.

Sonos speakers are buggy devices with decent sound. Overpriced and sold as simple, which they are not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have just finished setting up Sonos One again and it was complicated. Would not recommend this to anyone looking for simple, stable setup. No one should have to know about DHCP and static IPs to use these things. I am particularly amused by what I must guess are paid Sonos company shills who dismiss the complaints of users as they passionately defend the things as if it were their offspring.

Sonos speakers are buggy devices with decent sound. Overpriced and sold as simple, which they are not.

I’m curious to know:

If they are overpriced, why did you buy it/them?

If they are buggy, how do you know if you’ve only just bought and set them up? Or, when you found them to be buggy, why not return them?

Will you return yours and choose something “better”? If so, what will you choose, and why?

I’m not a “paid Sonos company shill”. I am an owner who considers the price/performance to be acceptable, who spent a little time understanding the cause of problems and set up his system accordingly. 

@just of me joined the Community today.  His first post attacks and tries to provoke longstanding, frequent contributors to the Community.  People can make their own minds up on whether or not this is genuine or just trolling.  My advice, FWIW,  is don’t waste any more time on this thread.

I have same issue. Soooooo frustrating. Every time I turn on streaming services I have to reboot me entire wifi and everything in my home just to hear music. System is is awful. Each time I’ve contacted Sonos HELP I’ve been instructed to reboot entire home/wifi. DAH!!! Wish I never bought this super expensive garbage system. . . 

Currently I can’t connect to my system at home, as the controller doesn’t even see my new router (even though EVERYTHING else in my house from my printer to Google home has already connected easily). Now I’m trying to connect to my friends system and it won’t even find it on wireless, because i think it’s still only setup to connect to my home system??? i actually have no idea why i can’t just open the app and play music. Very simple. But nothing EVER works seamlessly with Sonos. 

Honestly, I think that Sonos is a dinosaur and will be surpassed by new tech any day now, and I can’t wait. From the constant updates, to losing contact with the controllers regularly, to trying to use someone elses system and not being able to connect, I’m CONSTANTLY dealing with Sonos not working and then trying to troubleshoot. 

Currently I can’t connect to my system at home, as the controller doesn’t even see my new router (even though EVERYTHING else in my house from my printer to Google home has already connected easily).

The controller doesn’t connect to the router in the manner you’re suggesting.  Your speakers do and will need to be setup with the router through the steps mentioned here.  Your controller, the Sonos app, is going to use the WiFi connection of your phone to connect to the speakers.

Now I’m trying to connect to my friends system and it won’t even find it on wireless, because i think it’s still only setup to connect to my home system???

No, the Sonos app will connect to whatever system is on the same network that your phone is connected to.

i actually have no idea why i can’t just open the app and play music. Very simple. But nothing EVER works seamlessly with Sonos. 

Honestly, I think that Sonos is a dinosaur and will be surpassed by new tech any day now, and I can’t wait. From the constant updates, to losing contact with the controllers regularly, to trying to use someone elses system and not being able to connect, I’m CONSTANTLY dealing with Sonos not working and then trying to troubleshoot. 

What new tech are you referring to?  Your network connection issues can likely be resolved, perhaps even will going away once you configure to your new router.  Have you contacted Sonos before about the issues you’re seeing.  And I get that updates can be annoying, but that annoyance goes mostly away if you setup automatic updates and resolve your network issues.

Currently I can’t connect to my system at home, as the controller doesn’t even see my new router (even though EVERYTHING else in my house from my printer to Google home has already connected easily). Now I’m trying to connect to my friends system and it won’t even find it on wireless, because i think it’s still only setup to connect to my home system??? i actually have no idea why i can’t just open the app and play music. Very simple. But nothing EVER works seamlessly with Sonos. 

Karlos DelRio,

It must be something that you are doing, as I have the Sonos Controller App on my iPhone XR and when I arrive home and open the Sonos App, I see all my speakers running on SonosNet. If I take my mobile to my sons family home & open the App there, I immediately see his Sonos speakers running on his router and if I visit my daughters home it’s also the exact same story.

It couldn’t get any easier, so don’t know what Sonos controller device you are using to auto-connect to the various networks, but whatever it is, it’s certainly not representing my personal experience, as my controller device sees each of the family systems mentioned ...and the setup of each connection was extremely simple.

Danny, I’m not railing on you, just Sonos because it really is an inferior product. I’ve had 4 Sonos speakers for 5 years now and they never work seamlessly without having to trouble shoot. None of my other electronics require this much effort just to get them to work.

“Your speakers do and will need to be setup with the router through the steps mentioned here.  Your controller, the Sonos app, is going to use the WiFi connection of your phone to connect to the speakers.”

How many times do you think i’ve tried those steps? the wifi doesn’t recognize my sonos connect so i followed the steps. “Do you see a solid orange light?” NO I DON’T SEE A SOLID ORANGE LIGHT!! and I tried it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again. That’s right, 7 times. It’s annoying to read the word ‘again’ 7 times, much less try the same steps over and over 7 times and get nowhere. 

“No, the Sonos app will connect to whatever system is on the same network that your phone is connected to.”

No it won’t. It’s not working now...

“Have you contacted Sonos before about the issues you’re seeing.  And I get that updates can be annoying, but that annoyance goes mostly away if you setup automatic updates and resolve your network issues.”

I have it set for automatic updates. And it still asks for updates. 

Now I’m going back to try it AGAIN! so fun. Been over an hour of trying to get music on speakers. Speakers that worked perfectly fine last time I was here. 

Danny, I’m not railing on you, just Sonos because it really is an inferior product.

I didn’t take it personally.  I was trying to answer your questions and provide some advice.

I’ve had 4 Sonos speakers for 5 years now and they never work seamlessly without having to trouble shoot. None of my other electronics require this much effort just to get them to work.

Sonos doesn’t use the network in the same way as most other electronics due to it’s functionality.  For example, other products can operate fine with IP address conflicts, but Sonos does not.  If this is the issue you’re having, then you can temp resolve the issue, by unplugging speakers and router, then plugging in router then speakers one by one.  More permanently, reserve IP addresses for your speakers

“Your speakers do and will need to be setup with the router through the steps mentioned here.  Your controller, the Sonos app, is going to use the WiFi connection of your phone to connect to the speakers.”

How many times do you think i’ve tried those steps?

None.  I didn’t see any indication that you were aware of steps when switching to a new router..  Otherwise I wouldn’t have posted a link.

the wifi doesn’t recognize my sonos connect so i followed the steps. “Do you see a solid orange light?” NO I DON’T SEE A SOLID ORANGE LIGHT!! and I tried it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again. That’s right, 7 times. It’s annoying to read the word ‘again’ 7 times, much less try the same steps over and over 7 times and get nowhere. 

“No, the Sonos app will connect to whatever system is on the same network that your phone is connected to.”

No it won’t. It’s not working now..

This is how the controller works. If you aren’t connecting, either you aren’t on the right WiFi network or your (or friend’s) speakers aren’t setup on the network correctly.

“Have you contacted Sonos before about the issues you’re seeing.  And I get that updates can be annoying, but that annoyance goes mostly away if you setup automatic updates and resolve your network issues.”

I have it set for automatic updates. And it still asks for updates. 

Now I’m going back to try it AGAIN! so fun. Been over an hour of trying to get music on speakers. Speakers that worked perfectly fine last time I was here. 

Why not try and contact Sonos for support?  And are your speakers in a vacation home or something?  Are the speakers powered off when you are not here?

Look, Sonos speakers sound great and the ability to get the custom set up you need for your own space is fantastic, but OP is right: these things are a house of cards. I unplugged my modem and sonos system for an hour and now nothing works. I tried everything, even restoring the factory settings, but none of the setup instructions in the app work. I’ve been at this for four hours and still not working. I’ve followed every link in this thread. Sometimes, Sonos just sucks.

And don’t say contact Sonos. It’s a weekend. I guess I’ll try that on Monday.

OP is right. Sonos speakers sound great and the ability to get the custom set up you need for your own space, but these things are a house of cards. I unplugged my modem and sonos system for an hour and now nothing works. I tried everything, even restoring the factory settings, but none of the setup instructions in the app work. I’ve been at this for four hours and still not working. Sometimes, Sonos just sucks.

And don’t say contact Sonos. It’s a weekend. I guess I’ll try that on Monday.

Sounds like your routers DHCP Server is not coping with addressing the network devices when all are rebooted together. You would likely solve your issues by adding the Sonos devices IP addresses to your routers DHCP Reservation Table… also if you have WiFi Hubs and/or and access points, or repeaters, ensure their SSID’s, credentials and wireless channels exactly match those of your main router.

Thanks, Ken. I did not see your message in time, but the IP address confusion was definitely part of my problem. Here’s how I solved it.

My symptoms: I unplugged my modem for a bit, now none of my Sonos speakers or playbar will work. Following the instructions in the Sonos app gives me errors and dead ends. Doesn’t work wirelessly, wired with an Ethernet cable, or using the temporary Sonos network that the app sets up.

My solution:

1. I had to log into my home modem/router with a computer (in my case an AT&T fiber modem), find the Device/DeviceList tab and choose “Clear and Rescan for Devices”. (Your modem may be different but something similar should be there. You want to clear out the “IP addresses” that your modem has assigned to the devices connected to it so it can automatically assign new ones).
  2. Then on each Sonos speaker, restore the factory settings by plugging in the device while holding down the pause button until it blinks white/orange (varies by device, instructions here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US. Then I was able to reliably add the device using the app.
  3. Move on to the next speaker, restoring and adding each, until you have them all working.

I don’t use a Bridge or Boost so I can’t offer any advice on those, but I assume this will work.

I have 5 devices, so the process took a little over 20 minutes. Unfortunately it took me 5 hours to figure this all out on my own after much Googling and confusion. Most internet searches lead you right back to the same 2 or 3 pages on Sonos’ site that sadly do not solve the problem. Putting this here to help others (and maybe myself next time). 

Living that good Sonos life now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

They can sometimes be frustrating suckers to set up, and may kick you again once in a while. But the good far outweighs the bad! 

Phenomonaut,

If your router allows you to reserve and fix the IP addresses for your five speakers in its DHCP Reservation Table, then I would certainly do that sooner, rather than later.

If you’re not quite sure how to go about it, there might just be a YouTube video or webpage online somewhere that explains how to do it. It will only take a few minutes (usually) when you know what you’re doing to sort that.

I have quite a few Sonos products, so I reserve their IP addresses in a block starting (in my case) at 192.168.1.200, 201, 202, 203 etc.

Once their addresses are reserved, you know that no matter how often you reboot the devices, or how many, they always get back the same IP address as before and that can stop a lot of the issues with some routers.

Thanks again, Ken. I just might do that. I tried to create instructions in my last post that were as non-technical as possible to be helpful to as many folks as I could. I’m comfortable digging under my router’s hood so I will look into that.

And I know OP got some criticism for the somewhat rude title to this thread. He is probably a nice guy that was very frustrated. After sensible internet searches sent me back to the same unhelpful pages over and over for 4 hours I also became very frustrated and googled the exact same phrase. And so here we are. So I hope this page can help other frustrated folks in the future. Hello from the past! Hang in there, the music is great!

I do not find this comment inappropriate at all. Sonos is inexplicably complicated to setup, least because it does not work properly so frequently, including right out of the box, and consistently unstable, least because of those incessant and endless updates which fail more than often (“let’s take 40mn to do this….”) It does suck all the time, and other users who disagree with it can merely abstain from answering rather than blaming a legitimately frustrated customer.

I do not find this comment inappropriate at all. Sonos is inexplicably complicated to setup, least because it does not work properly so frequently, including right out of the box, and consistently unstable, least because of those incessant and endless updates which fail more than often (“let’s take 40mn to do this….”) It does suck all the time, and other users who disagree with it can merely abstain from answering rather than blaming a legitimately frustrated customer.

I could give you some advice on how to stabilize your system, but I’m one of those who disagree, so I will merely abstain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I could give you some advice on how to stabilize your system, but I’m one of those who disagree, so I will merely abstain.

Another abstainer here, with a reliable, functional system. 

I’ve had Sonos now for over ten years, and it is a disappointment enough of the time to make me post a complaint (because right now, I’m having to re-index my music library for the thousandth time). Between the constant updates, the loss of connections, the absurdly counter-intuitive controller app, and the technical support that, though good, is a process reminiscent of the 1990’s, Sonos is clunky on its best day. And none of this has improved in over ten years. WTF, Sonos? No system -- especially one this expensive -- should put so many barricades in the way of listening to music. Cassettes were easier than this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Maybe you’re using a different system from me but I’ve had a few small issues but in the 5 years it has been a joy to use and only got better with each update. I’ve never had to re index my music. That sounds like you have issues with the storage medium you are using.