Question

Sonos Sub won't connect to playbar in standard (wifi) mode. Works fine with sonosnet.

• 6 November 2016
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi all,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my Sonos Sub to pair with my playbar using my own wifi network. I would prefer to use my own network (Cisco Aironet) instead of Sonosnet so the networks don't interfere with each other.

Oddly, my other sonos components (playbar, 2x play 1) work just fine using "standard" setup on my own wifi network. Once I try to move everything to my own network, or factory reset and restart on my own wifi network using standard setup - the sub will never connect to the playbar (although it will connect to the wifi network, but will fall off and never connect to the playbar).

Is this a limitation of playbar / sub pairing, or is there something else going on? I saw another similar post in the forums where the person set static IPs for all their sonos components. Tried that, still didn't work.

Any help is appreciated. Tier 1/2 sonos is stumped.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

What router are you using?
Userlevel 2
pfsense.
Userlevel 2
What router are you using?

pfsense.
Why would you think using Sonosnet would cause the two networks to interfere with each other? It's actually quite the opposite; using Sonosnet allows you to set a different channel for each, ensuring they don't interfere, rather than running it all on the same channel.
There's a known issue where a UK BT Hub6 prevents a PLAYBAR bonding to satellites because the router is mistakenly handing out IP duplicates. By the sound of things you've established that all IPs are unique.

What 5GHz channel assignments are in use in your home?
Userlevel 2
Why would you think using Sonosnet would cause the two networks to interfere with each other? It's actually quite the opposite; using Sonosnet allows you to set a different channel for each, ensuring they don't interfere, rather than running it all on the same channel.

... because I have 5 access points in my home, so sonosnet is interfearing with at least one (channels 1, 6 or 11). I would also rather have Cisco clearair sort of the channel assignments as opposed to having sonosnet get in the middle of things.
Userlevel 2
There's a known issue where a UK BT Hub6 prevents a PLAYBAR bonding to satellites because the router is mistakenly handing out IP duplicates. By the sound of things you've established that all IPs are unique.

What 5GHz channel assignments are in use in your home?

I'm using 5 blocks of 80mhz. Why would 5ghz matter?
Userlevel 2
Also, for what it's worth, I tried a link a new sub and same issue - so definitely isn't a defective sub.
... because I have 5 access points in my home, so sonosnet is interfearing with at least one (channels 1, 6 or 11).
It isn't. It's co-operatively sharing the bandwidth of the channel.

I'm using 5 blocks of 80mhz. Why would 5ghz matter?
The PLAYBAR talks to its bonded satellites over 5GHz.

... because I have 5 access points in my home, so sonosnet is interfearing with at least one (channels 1, 6 or 11). I would also rather have Cisco clearair sort of the channel assignments as opposed to having sonosnet get in the middle of things.

No more than it would by using it over your own WiFi, and you lose all the benefits of using Sonosnet.
Userlevel 2
... because I have 5 access points in my home, so sonosnet is interfearing with at least one (channels 1, 6 or 11).
It isn't. It's co-operatively sharing the bandwidth of the channel.

Not really - it would be better if my cisco controller was involved so I could QoS tag the sonos players appropriately. Sonosnet is a suboptimal solution for my setup.