Sonos Sub not playing music

Hello Sonos support, I have a Sonos Sub, recently it's connecting to my system but there is no sound coming out of the actual Sub speaker. I have successfully re linked it to my play 5 both wireless and wired but there is no sound coming out of the actual Sub speaker. I have also successfully re linked it to my connect amp both wireless and wired but there is no sound coming out of the actual Sub speaker. What are the next steps I can take to diagnose the problem?

42 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I'd recommend running through the SUB's audio calibration to make sure it's at least playing the test tones for setup. You can do this from the Settings page of any controller. Using a handheld controller: 1. Select Settings -> Room Settings. 2. Select the room that is associated with the SONOS SUB. It appears as Room (+SUB) on the Room Settings menu. 3. Select Advanced Audio -> Recalibrate SUB. 4. Follow the prompts to optimize your SUB’s performance. Using the Sonos Controller for Mac or PC 1. Select Manage -> Settings (PC) or Sonos -> Preferences (Mac). 2. Select Room Settings. 3. Select the room that is associated with the SONOS SUB. It appears as Room (+SUB) on the Room Settings menu. 4. Select the Basic tab, and then select Recalibrate SUB. 5. Follow the prompts to optimize your SUB’s performance. During the recalibration, the SUB will play a few test tones and ask you to pick adjust settings to your liking. Let me know if the test tone plays or if it does not. Once the recalibration is done, try to play some of your music again and let me know if it's still not outputting any bass audio.
Ryan, Thank you for the response. When I recalibrate the Sub the test sounds play through the speakers connected to the Connect Amp but no sound coming from the SUB. The sub is still not outputting any bass audio. Any other suggestions? I have submitted a diagnostic trace is #3071278. Thanks in advance
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks for the update and the diagnostic. The SUB appears to be looking healthy, though it was powered on for only a few minutes so not much is appearing in the logs yet. Would it be possible to re-associate the SUB to your PLAY:5 instead of the CONNECT:AMP? You don't necessarily need to move any players, but I'd be interested in seeing if the SUB is able to output any bass from another unit. You can remove the SUB from the CONNECT:AMP and associate it to the PLAY:5 using the same menus I described above.
Ryan, I've connected the Sub to the Play:5 and it's doing exactly the same as the Connect Amp. The Sub connects ok but doesn't produce any sound. When I calibrate the Sub, the calibration noises only come from the Play:5, nothing is coming from the Sub. Thanks, Alan
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks Alan. Since the SUB is not outputting audio when associated to either of these devices, I'd like to have one of our technicians investigate further with you. I've opened a support ticket for you under 130628-001175 and we'll be contacting you via email to continue troubleshooting.
Ryan, Thank you. Let me know what I can do to help you guys resolve the problem.
I have exactly the same problem. How did you solve it?

Kenneth
I have the same issue. Have removed the sub, recalibrate etc. Still no sound from the unit itself.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have the same issue. Have removed the sub, recalibrate etc. Still no sound from the unit itself.

Hi, if you're still having this problem, please reproduce the error and send a diagnostic from the app, then reply here with the confirmation number. Thanks.
i am having the same issue. No sound from my sub. My playbar plays the sound during both audio setup. Seems like the playbar is acting as the sub.

diagnostic 5238924
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
i am having the same issue. No sound from my sub. My playbar plays the sound during both audio setup. Seems like the playbar is acting as the sub.

diagnostic 5238924

Hello Kobe81. Welcome to the community.
I reviewed your diagnostic and found peaks of very high levels of WiFi interference.
This leads to grouping errors. In your case, the Sonos SUB is having a hard time to connect with the PLAYBAR.

Is the PLAYBAR or SUB near the router or/and another wireless devices? If yes, make to have a 3 feet (1meter) between each other.
Here's an article about: How to reduce wireless interference.

Also, I see your router is running on wireless channel 1. Can you try using a different WiFi channel on the router and let us know how it goes.
Badge
Hi Sonos Support.

I've got a similar issue here. Do I just submit diagnostics on this thread as per the request above?

For reference, Sub connects but no bass plays through it, all tones are through the Playbar (both new speakers to a larger system). Likely down to wifi issues (old house, thick walls, extenders to assist wi-fi) but I have a Boost and Bridge setup so coverage should be fine.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I've got a similar issue here. Do I just submit diagnostics on this thread as per the request above?

Hi, yes, if you submit a diagnostic make sure to reply with the confirmation number here. We'll be happy to check your system.
Badge
Hi. Diagnostic 6315156 submitted. Have just changed wifi hardware but this hasn't changed matters. Advice welcome please.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi. Diagnostic 6315156 submitted. Have just changed wifi hardware but this hasn't changed matters. Advice welcome please.

Hello, I checked your diagnostic and still found peaks of interference. But that said, your Sonos and router's wireless channel are the same this is very likely why I see the interference. Can you change the Sonos wireless channel to 1. Here's an article explaining how to change wireless channel. Let us know how it goes.
Badge
Hi Max

Changed Sonos to Channel 1, The Apple Time Capsule to 13, the two Unifi AC PRO Routers to 6 and turned off the Sony TV broadcast wifi. Looks a lot cleaner but the problem still occurs. Diagnostic report 6317976 submitted so you can see the changes.
I am having the same issue and have had this issue at various other times. Before I have been able to reset the sub and get it working again but now it just seems like there isn’t any power getting to the sub. Tried many outlets.
Same issue. No sound from sub and cannot see it in the controller. Worked before on our previous network. Any suggestions Sonos?
So I fixed it by unplugging it overnight and then it just started working. I had tried all kinds of different things but when I unplugged for awhile it was able to work. The other thing I did before unplugging was remove it from the Sonos app. Hope this helps someone because it is strange behavior.
unplugged the sub, reset my controller, then re-paired the sub and that fixed it for me...
Same problem also having registration problems. I ran diagnostics after trying several of the above suggestions: 8137800
I have a basic question, i got a sub today and paired it easily with my existing 2 play:3 speakers.
Now i wonder, what sound is actually supposed to come out of the sub? Is it just the thumping and vibrating bass audio - that i clearly can feel and hear- or is it supposed to act as an extra speaker that produces music as well?
I have same issue. I'm not able to get any sound out of my sub. Did the recalibration but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. Case 770271208
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have same issue. I'm not able to get any sound out of my sub. Did the recalibration but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. Case 770271208

Hi juancj,

Your diagnostic report came through with some formatting errors making it hard to read. Please try sending along a new report and reply here with the confirmation number.
I’m also having the same issue just submitted diagnostics # 1705403531 any help would be apprecaited