Answered

Sonos Sub Keeps Dropping out Google Wifi

• 15 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello all.

Need some help here, have a sonos playbase, 2 sonos ones and a sub (got it a couple of months back) and since then I have been having issues to keep the sub on the network. I have a google wifi mesh ( 1 in the living room where the system is set up and a couple more in the other rooms). I have the sonos 1 connected via a ethernet cable for sonos net. My sub is not too far from the wifi point. 

Every other day my sub keeps dropping out with a question mark, I have tried the following.

1. Played around with the channel and now set to 11 dont know which one to select because whatever I select does not seem to work. There is no way I can change the channels on the google wifi. 
  2. Assigned DHCP IP to all the devices so that the sub always gets the same ip.
  3. I reset the whole system so many times and set everything as new and that did not work. 
  4. I do not have any interference close to the sub. 
  5. call the support and they said sub is not receiving the signal, but it is close to the router around 12 feet and also in line of sight and they reset and it was ok for a couple of days. I said it is just 12 feet away and he said it should be ok.
  6. When I disconnect and connect the sub back it will work for a day or 2 and then drops out again and I have to repeat the same steps over including true play.
  7. I want to connect the ethernet cable to the sub instead of the sonos 1 but for that I have to bring the sub closer which I tried before but there are cabinets closer which rattles so dont want to do that.
  8. My google wifi main point is placed on top of the playbase fyi. 
  9. There is a TP link camera in the living room but not close to the sub fyi.
  10. I know its odd but the surrounds are not placed in the rear (space constraints) it is placed next to the playbase one each on the opposite sides.
  11. About my system shows VM0 for all.
  12. Also sometimes I connect my phone to VPN fyi.

Is it a hardware issue because I am still under warranty and I can ask for a replacement to see if the problem goes away, it is so annoying to disconnect and reconnect and true play every other day.

Any suggestions are welcome. 

BR

Praveen

icon

Best answer by Xander P 15 April 2021, 13:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @deeepraveen, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community!

Assuming the Sub is part of a home theatre system, the distance to the router won’t be relevant - the Sub will be connecting directly to the Playbase via a 5GHz connection.

As such, we’ll want to check if there’s anything that could be blocking the signal between the Playbase and the Sub - you mentioned that the surrounds are beside the Playbase, and this could potentially be interfering with the signal. 

Would it be possible to test with the surround speakers either moved further from the Playbase, or temporarily powered off?

It’s also not recommended to use a surround speaker as your wired component - would it be possible to connect the Playbase to the router via Ethernet instead?

Let us know how you get on :)

1. My google wifi main point is placed on top of the playbase fyi. 

This is also a fundamentally bad idea. You should try and separate such wireless devices by at least 50cm.

Imagine trying to hear someone from the other side of the room if another person is yelling in your ear.

Hello @Xander P 

Thanks for the suggestion, I managed to speak to the customer support and they said the sub had a lot of interferences. They suspect it could be because of the network camera and other wireless networks nearby, I managed to place the network camera a little further away from the sub and the Ethernet cable is still connected to the surrounds. So far there has been no dropouts yet but need to really test it out for like a week.

I will update if something changes. If it does not work I will change the Ethernet to the play base and try again. I am not able to move the surrounds due to space constraints. 

thanks for the help
Praveen