Sonos Sub Gen 3 not working / no light

Userlevel 2

Hey there!

I have a Sonos Sub Gen 3 (dates from 18/09) that doesn't works anymore.

I already unplugged it, try another socket, but nothing changes. 

I shows no light, no sign of life.

Does Sonos have some repair center in USA or another solution to make my 5.1 system complete again?

Thanks! 

10 replies

Userlevel 7

I would contact Sonos Support:
https://support.sonos.com/s/contact?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Also try unplugging the cord from the Sub end, that can work loose over time if it wasn’t fully inserted.

Sonos has a good reputation for helping folks out of warranty if the unit hasn’t been tampered with.

Userlevel 2

I tried different sockets, different power cable, but unfortunately the sub is dead, no even a blink from the LED.

Yesterday I contacted Sonos, about 70 min on the phone, but we found no solution. So I don't know what to do, my sub becomes a very expensive brick!

Now I don't know if I buy a new one, knowing that the product lifespan could be only 3 years or less, so frustrating.

I know it is out of warranty, but it seems to be also unfixable...

I tried different sockets, different power cable, but unfortunately the sub is dead, no even a blink from the LED.

Yesterday I contacted Sonos, about 70 min on the phone, but we found no solution. So I don't know what to do, my sub becomes a very expensive brick!

Now I don't know if I buy a new one, knowing that the product lifespan could be only 3 years or less, so frustrating.

I know it is out of warranty, but it seems to be also unfixable...

It must be the older Sub (gen2) as the gen3 was released June 2020, I believe - Did you ask about a trade-in, or discount? My thoughts are to take any discount offered and with any saving, take out extended warranty insurance to cover the new Sub for perhaps a number of years beyond any manufacturers warranty. It’s why such insurance policies exist, I guess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have bought Sonos devices through Amazon as gifts, getting a 4 year extended warranty as a package deal. Sucks to have to cut Amazon in on the profits.

I did get a suggestion to see about getting an extended warranty from Costco, apparently they will sell one even if you bought your device elsewhere.

I sure wish Sonos would do a partnership with one or more extended warranty companies.

Userlevel 2

It must be the older Sub (gen2) as the gen3 was released June 2020, I believe - Did you ask about a trade-in, or discount? My thoughts are to take any discount offered and with any saving, take out extended warranty insurance to cover the new Sub for perhaps a number of years beyond any manufacturers warranty. It’s why such insurance policies exist, I guess.

I talked to the Service team after I posted here, you are right, it is the Gen 2 (the product itself didn't mention the generation).

I asked for some kind of trade-in or discount, but they didn't provide any, so I guess I will need to buy a new one and find some useful use for the broken one, maybe convert it into a passive sub for a non Sonos system. A discount or some kind of trade-in will be more than welcome and it will help me to be brave enough to buy a new one.

Userlevel 2

I have bought Sonos devices through Amazon as gifts, getting a 4 year extended warranty as a package deal. Sucks to have to cut Amazon in on the profits.

I did get a suggestion to see about getting an extended warranty from Costco, apparently they will sell one even if you bought your device elsewhere.

I sure wish Sonos would do a partnership with one or more extended warranty companies.

It seems to be a really good idea and suggestion. I will consider it for my new products.

The one that is broken I believe I bought from Best Buy, unfortunately I don't remember where I put the receipt.

I use Sonos I believe since 2015 and this was the most expensive product I bought from them and the first one to show a problem. The Playbar, Beam, Play:1 and Ones I bought during this period never show any sign of problem.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

@JorgeQueiroz,

Have you perhaps searched online to see if there are any 3rd-party services who may be able to repair your Sub. I’m in the U.K and such repair services are supposedly available here (I’ve not had occasion to use them - touch wood🤞), but maybe check your local area. If not, then you may find you can perhaps sell it for spares or repair and try to recoup some of the cost.

Userlevel 7

I talked to the Service team after I posted here, you are right, it is the Gen 2 (the product itself didn't mention the generation).

I asked for some kind of trade-in or discount, but they didn't provide any, so I guess I will need to buy a new one and find some useful use for the broken one, maybe convert it into a passive sub for a non Sonos system. A discount or some kind of trade-in will be more than welcome and it will help me to be brave enough to buy a new one.

If you log into your Sonos account online and check under Upgrade your Sub Gen 2 should be eligible for a 15% discount off a new Sonos product.

If you purchased it from Best Buy, and used an ‘account’ to do so, they should be able to pull up a receipt for you, even for open box products. It’s actually one of the reasons I use a Best Buy account, since they don’t seem to provide any real discounts for account holders.