Sonos Sub Gen 3 crackling/static sound

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi guys,

I just bought the Sonos Arc and the new Sub Gen 3 and I paired them with 2 Sonos One (Gen 1) speakers for the surround setup.

Yesterday I noticed that while idling and playing, there are some tiny constant crackling/static/electric current sounds coming from the brand new Sub and I found it quite irritating. So what I did first was to make sure that the connection with the power cord is secure, which it was. Then I tried to remove the Sub from the group, factory reset it and added it back to the system. But the same issue persists.

I don’t suppose this is normal, right? Does anyone has a similar issue with the new Sub?

I’ve checked my Sonos Arc, One and Beam and none of them has this issue.

Since I just bought it from Best Buy last week, should I return it and get a new one to see if it’s something wrong with the one I’ve got? 

It’s not a cheap device and I don’t want to compromise on its quality.

Thank you all!

246 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Gen 3 arrived today. 

The good news: it sounds great. 2 sub setup is not quite night and day difference, but ao far on limited testing the experience is more ‘cinematic’. (Shame they don’t allow toggle of either sub off on to aid comparison). 

The not so good news: there is most certainly a difference in the ‘silence’ of the Gen 3 vs Gen 2.  

Both do have a small degree of electrical buzz type noise if you put your ear next to the speaker port. But the Gen 3 is noticeably louder and has that little tiny cricket type noise - which to my ears sounds like some sort of resonance or secondary noise from the PSU in addition to the electrical hum. 

With the Gen 2 I have to practically put my ear in the speaker port to hear it. With the Gen 3 i can hear it about 0.5m away. Only just, but it is there.

Just thought of a test as I was typing this…. 

The tiny crickets go quiet as soon as I put the TV in Standby!!!! 

With the TV off the difference between the two subs is even more marginal. I think that the Gen 3 sounds ‘louder’ as the pitch off the electrical hum is higher than the Gen2. But I can’t hear either from my seating position 4.5m away from the TV…. so not sure if it is a show stopper - and when the TV is on I don’t plan to spend much time on my knees with an ear to the sub port. 

i’ll try some additional positional and environmental tests - placement and see what other kit interferes over the weekend and report back. 

I’ve no idea if Sonos had made any changes on the more recent builds compared to the early adopters. But to me it sounds like a shielding issue. It could be that the assembly quality control is hit and miss and that some suffer more than others. 

2x subs and play 5 rears does make for a very full surround sound though. The battle scenes in Fury which I used ad a quick test have a fair bit more ‘umpf’. Arc arrives in 2 weeks so will complete the ‘upgrade’ - assuming the damn thing works with the LG lol. 

Ended up going for the replacement. Few hours in, no issues so far.

Badge

Just received my new SUB Gen3 from Sonos. Checked the Hardware Version and it is 1.32.1.5-2.2 which appears to be newer than people are reporting earlier in this thread.

I’m pleased with the SUB, no issues at all, could the hardware update have solved the previous problems people were having or am I just lucky?

I’ve been following this thread and was decided to buy the sub from Sonos directly and it just arrived yesterday. Here is my setup and initial observations with the sub so far:

Setup

• Beam
  • two Play:1s
  • Sub gen 3
  • Sony 950G TV connected via HDMI/ARC
  • all speakers, TV and Apple 4K TV are wirelessly connected to the network

Sonos OS: S2

Sub version: 12.2 (build 61183251)

Sub hardware version: 1.32.1.5-1.1

Standby mode (nothing playing): Slight hum but I need to put my area right up to the sub to hear it and it’s not bothersome. It sounds like the hum my old passive speakers would have when my amplifier was powered on.

Music playback via Apple Music (not Airplay): Same subtle hum as in standby mode.

TV audio: I can hear a faint ticking noise when < 2 feet away. I definitely cannot hear it from my normal TV viewing position that is ~10 feet away.

At this point I’m pretty satisfied with the sub and don’t have any strong concerns with the humming and ticking noise. I do find it curious that I can only hear the ticking while watching things on TV and not with music playback, and it makes me think that there is a chance that the ticking noise could be software related but this is pure speculation on my part.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I’ve been following this thread and was decided to buy the sub from Sonos directly and it just arrived yesterday. Here is my setup and initial observations with the sub so far:

Setup

• Beam
  • two Play:1s
  • Sub gen 3
  • Sony 950G TV connected via HDMI/ARC
  • all speakers, TV and Apple 4K TV are wirelessly connected to the network

Sonos OS: S2

Sub version: 12.2 (build 61183251)

Sub hardware version: 1.32.1.5-1.1

Standby mode (nothing playing): Slight hum but I need to put my area right up to the sub to hear it and it’s not bothersome. It sounds like the hum my old passive speakers would have when my amplifier was powered on.

Music playback via Apple Music (not Airplay): Same subtle hum as in standby mode.

TV audio: I can hear a faint ticking noise when < 2 feet away. I definitely cannot hear it from my normal TV viewing position that is ~10 feet away.

At this point I’m pretty satisfied with the sub and don’t have any strong concerns with the humming and ticking noise. I do find it curious that I can only hear the ticking while watching things on TV and not with music playback, and it makes me think that there is a chance that the ticking noise could be software related but this is pure speculation on my part.

whilst we have different hardware versions - of the sub gen 3 - though can’t be sure there’s any material difference in components or build practise/quality. Your experience when the TV is powered on is similar to mine. There is something about the frequencies emitted from the TV when not in standby more that the Sub is picking up and not shielded from. 

Hi guys,

I received a new sub g3 today (just sent old one just two days ago!!!) and it is just pristine. No issues at all. Zero cracking / noises whatsoever. Double checked with multiples sources, like tv, AirPlay, streaming via sonos app and everything’s fine.

thanks Sonos support team!

Userlevel 2
Badge

@giovannichiappetto Thanks for sharing your results.

Seems like at this point there is not going to be an official fix for the sub g3 issues we are all experiencing. I am gonna roll the dice and ask for a replacement since it seems more recent replacements have the issues ironed out.

Glad I found this today as I am in the process of selling my Sonos Sub Gen2 to purchase a Sub Gen 3 using my 30% off coupon.

I’m thinking I should hold tight and keep the Gen 2 sub since it is working perfectly?

There’s only one reason to upgrade, as near as I can tell, which is to allow the use of two Subs in a home theater Sonos ‘room’. Beyond that, they have the same functionality. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey guys,

I have a great update from Sonos!

We have resolved the issue with a newly manufactured SUB; however, it has not been shipped yet to the market. As soon as it does, I will reach out to you to process the replacement and ensure that you receive it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@andrewchiu1st Fantastic update! I was just about to request another replacement but will wait for this new hardware revision. Cheers!

Badge

It seems im in the same position. Waiting for new revision

Hello Andrew, if you could keep us updated on when Sonos says they are shipping out their new revised subs that would be great. I just bought a sub g3 and have the same issue. 

Badge

And after 3 months and 2 unsuccessful replacements i opened third case and decided to wait with replacements because there is no point. Obviously this is design flaw.

Rattling sound

Hi all, 

I can confirm that the rattling sound is still existent with the newly build Sub 3s. Mine produces the same annoying sound in standby and the manufacture date is June 2021 (confirmed by Sonos Support via the serial number). 

Sonos offered to replace the Sub with a new one, but I highly doubt that this will help, as it seems that the hardware defect hasn’t been resolved with the current batch.

@Sonos: Are there any updates available?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Sonos,

instead of solving the confirmed quality issues with the sub (crackling noise) for your CUSTOMERS,

your are increasing the price of an inferior High Fidelity Sub this Sunday by 50 USD for your SHAREHOLDERS!?

I guess this won’t work in the long run …

Please solve this issue after several months!!!

Got my new Sub Gen. 3 (HW-Version 1.32.1.6-2.1) today from Sonos (Europe). What should I say, crackling-noise in idle is still there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjt06eazkqpnyp6/Sub_crackling.mp3?dl=0

:slight_frown:

Userlevel 2
Badge

That’s so disappointing! At least the media in Europe is starting to discuss this issue 

Sonos Sub Gen 3 Issues

That’s so disappointing! At least the media in Europe is starting to discuss this issue 

Sonos Sub Gen 3 Issues

Yeah, I know… it’s disappointing… I had hoped, the HW-Version-refresh will deliver a solution...

Userlevel 2
Badge

So if the hardware refresh doesn’t solve the issue after months:

Does it mean Sonos is not able to solve it or just doesn’t care as long as they earn money with that inferior quality?

Userlevel 1

Got my new Sub Gen. 3 (HW-Version 1.32.1.6-2.1) today from Sonos (Europe). What should I say, crackling-noise in idle is still there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjt06eazkqpnyp6/Sub_crackling.mp3?dl=0

:slight_frown:

My Sonos Sub ordered 2 weeks ago in Germany is even HW Version 1.32.1.6-2.2 and it does the same noise.
I am sitting 2m away from my TV and sub and I can hear it very annoying during quiet movies or scenes.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Any updates here, Sonos team? We have all been patiently waiting for well over a year at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all.

If your Sonos Sub is making a ticking noise, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who will verify the issue and replace the unit for you. The latest hardware revision fixed this issue. Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Corry P., 

after all the hassle we have gone through with this “premium HiFi product”, would you mind to give the name or number of this “latest hardware revision” that solves all our problems?

We all have heard or read so many different explanations along the last 12 months from Sonos that I would highly appreciate some proofs to rebuilt our trust!

Thank you in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Livius21 

Dear Corry P., 

after all the hassle we have gone through with this “premium HiFi product”, would you mind to give the name or number of this “latest hardware revision” that solves all our problems?

We all have heard or read so many different explanations along the last 12 months from Sonos that I would highly appreciate some proofs to rebuilt our trust!

Thank you in advance!

That would be A202.