Sonos Sub Gen 3 crackling/static sound

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi guys,

I just bought the Sonos Arc and the new Sub Gen 3 and I paired them with 2 Sonos One (Gen 1) speakers for the surround setup.

Yesterday I noticed that while idling and playing, there are some tiny constant crackling/static/electric current sounds coming from the brand new Sub and I found it quite irritating. So what I did first was to make sure that the connection with the power cord is secure, which it was. Then I tried to remove the Sub from the group, factory reset it and added it back to the system. But the same issue persists.

I don’t suppose this is normal, right? Does anyone has a similar issue with the new Sub?

I’ve checked my Sonos Arc, One and Beam and none of them has this issue.

Since I just bought it from Best Buy last week, should I return it and get a new one to see if it’s something wrong with the one I’ve got? 

It’s not a cheap device and I don’t want to compromise on its quality.

Thank you all!

246 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@TapDatApp

Of course, my case number is Case #: 018*****

It’s great that you also arranged a call with them so that we can put this under their radar!

Moderator note: Censored for privacy reasons.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just had my call with the Sonos folks regarding this. It sounds like they’ve done quite a bit of work on identifying the issue based on Andrew’s case and from what I was told, it sounds like they did identify a hardware issue that is causing this and confirmed the effect can vary based on WiFi traffic. 

We discussed how the solution is still up in the air and how like others have already experienced, a replacement unit currently wouldn’t solve the issue as this is affecting the product as a whole. Will they recall it? Will they push a silent production update to the next batch and then swap units out for customers on a case-by-case basis? None of this has been decided yet. But the issue has been recognized, investigated, and confirmed.

Now we wait...

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@TapDatApp 

Thanks for the update! 

I’m glad that they are making progress with the hardware issue. It’s interesting to see that this is an issue with WiFi traffic, since the issue started the moment I plugged in the power cable. The WiFi router I’m using is the Google Nest WiFi with 1 satellite router and I don’t have any kind of issues with my other devices.

I did ask them what is the best thing for me to do as tomorrow will be the last day for me to return the Sub, they reassured me that they will eventually give me a SUB with perfect condition. I still definitely want to have the SUB in my setup so I guess I will keep it for the time being and wait for them to resolve the issue.

Thank you for letting me know. Our Sonos hardware team is diligently working on investigating this issue; however, we have no estimated time on the fix.

As for a possible return, if you are still within Best Buy's return policy and would like to proceed in such way, you may do so; however, I will guarantee you that once the fix is in place, if it takes to send you a new one as replacement, we will be happy to do so to ensure that you have a perfectly working Sonos SUB. 

Having stated the above, let me know how you would like to move forward.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m glad I found this conversation I’m also experiencing the exact same issue the noise for me is very faint but bugs me that it exists, will try calling support and at least log my issue hopefully this can be resolved at some point 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Update: contacted Sonos support and sent them a video of the noise, they decided to replace the unit, so will see what happens with the new unit.

Userlevel 1

Hi guys, I have some terrible news.

I received my replacement from Sonos yesterday. Excellent customer service, quick turnaround with the replacement, but all the great service doesn't change the fact that the new unit is the same as before. Which leads me to conclude that it’s a design flaw.

Now why is this apparent flaw not bigger news online that it currently is? Because not everyone will be capable of hearing the noise. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile in any way, but the noise is obvious to me, making it irksome, my partner says he can’t hear it unless she’s 1 foot away.

I assume that many people will be blissfully unaware of this flaw, until someone with more attuned hearing points it out the them, and then it becomes something you can’t un-hear.

The bass that comes out of the Gen 3 sub is rich, deep and everything you’d want it to be. Unfortunately for me, the electro-static ticking noise, ruins the enjoyment I should be getting out of this £699 premium product.

Am still a Sonos fan, just a little less than I was before.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Well that’s disappointing, what’s funny is I had bought a Gen 2 sub originally with my new Sonos arc since the gen 2 was on sale for $150 off at Best Buy but then quickly decided I’d rather spend more and invest in the gen 3 for future proofing and updates.  The gen 2 had no issues and sounded the same to me despite the gen 3 having updated internals.  May just return the gen 3 now and grab the gen 2 and save that $150 again.  I’m probably being really picky because I really can only hear the noise if I get very close to the sub but once you know about it, you can’t forgot it or Unhear it and it makes  me a little upset that a product at this price and the new generation at that has an issue when the previous gen at less money is perfect,  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

They sent me a replacement but it was refurbished Gen 2 sub instead LOL! back to Sonos support, what a nightmare, bit disappointed with this, mistakes happen but a bit frustrating when you're spending this kind of money.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

They sent me a replacement but it was refurbished Gen 2 sub instead LOL! back to Sonos support, what a nightmare, bit disappointed with this, mistakes happen but a bit frustrating when you're spending this kind of money.

Was it Best Buy or Sonos that sent the replacement?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

It was Sonos Support.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just wanted to note from Andrew and I’s cases, evidence points to this being a hardware issue and Sonos says a fix isn’t available yet. Wouldn’t advise a replacement unit because nothing will change. Call Sonos and cite Andrew’s case number and they’ll link the issue to your case. We can get more traction on the problem and you’ll have your situation documented and on file.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have one on order… is this affecting all of them? If so I might just cancel for now and wait until this is resolved?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I don't think it's everyone, Peter Pee a Youtuber who focuses on reviewing and testing Sonos products said he’s not hearing this noise on any of his subs, so may not be widespread issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m not experiencing this problem.  If I put my ear right up against the top of the sub, I think I hear an extremely faint “whining” noise.  It’s barely audible.  I hear nothing if I put my ear in front of the sub’s opening and nothing while I’m standing near it.  So either I don’t have the problem or my hearing is just that shot ;-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Well that’s disappointing, what’s funny is I had bought a Gen 2 sub originally with my new Sonos arc since the gen 2 was on sale for $150 off at Best Buy but then quickly decided I’d rather spend more and invest in the gen 3 for future proofing and updates.  The gen 2 had no issues and sounded the same to me despite the gen 3 having updated internals.  May just return the gen 3 now and grab the gen 2 and save that $150 again.  I’m probably being really picky because I really can only hear the noise if I get very close to the sub but once you know about it, you can’t forgot it or Unhear it and it makes  me a little upset that a product at this price and the new generation at that has an issue when the previous gen at less money is perfect,  

I just canceled my gen 3 order, not really overly concerned with the issue but Best Buy has the gen 2 now versus waiting until August sometime and it’s a good chunk cheaper.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi guys, I have some terrible news.

I received my replacement from Sonos yesterday. Excellent customer service, quick turnaround with the replacement, but all the great service doesn't change the fact that the new unit is the same as before. Which leads me to conclude that it’s a design flaw.

Now why is this apparent flaw not bigger news online that it currently is? Because not everyone will be capable of hearing the noise. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile in any way, but the noise is obvious to me, making it irksome, my partner says he can’t hear it unless she’s 1 foot away.

I assume that many people will be blissfully unaware of this flaw, until someone with more attuned hearing points it out the them, and then it becomes something you can’t un-hear.

The bass that comes out of the Gen 3 sub is rich, deep and everything you’d want it to be. Unfortunately for me, the electro-static ticking noise, ruins the enjoyment I should be getting out of this £699 premium product.

Am still a Sonos fan, just a little less than I was before.

@dropper

Yeah, I agree, the reason that I pre-ordered both the Arc and Sub Gen 3 is because I thought they always get things right and I didn’t really have any problems with Sonos’ products before. Totally wasn’t expecting all these hassles and times lost just to get something that should have been caught before the product is shipped to the end users.

I’m keeping it because I do believe that the team will eventually resolve the issue and send me a new perfectly functioning SUB, but not sure how long that’s going to take and they can’t seem to commit to any timeline for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Glad I found this thread. recently replaced my gen 2 with a gen 3 sub. was sorting out some cables near the sub and could hear this noise. looking at the posts on here not worth exchanging for another one as it sound like its a widespread issue. Has anyone with the issue found a fix or anything? thank you

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I found this 150 days old post on Reddit describing almost exactly the same issue that at least I have with my gen3 sub. So I guess it existed in gen2 as well?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/f62m6t/does_your_sonos_sub_hum/

I bought a sub gen 3 with this issue at a bestbuy store. Got it replaced the same day at another bestbuy that had the sub gen 3. The new unit still has the same issue...

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I bought a sub gen 3 with this issue at a bestbuy store. Got it replaced the same day at another bestbuy that had the sub gen 3. The new unit still has the same issue...

Hmm, did you buy and replace it only recently? If so, I think there are actually a lot more people with this issue and they just haven’t noticed it yet.

My last contact with the support team was on July 7 so I’m thinking to follow up with them in August and see if they are able to make any progress on the issue by then or as least give me an update.

Yes, I decided to buy the Sonos Sub July 21st, they only had 1 at a Best Buy store near Montreal, Canada . Was super excited since this is my first sub and was ment to go along with the Arc. I went trough the usual setup once I got home and noticed it right away. I have 6 Sonos at home and I’ve never heard one do this noise. I tried looking posts online to see if this was a normal noise for the sub but found this really weird for a product of this price. I did a reset of the Sub and the problem was still there. I could only explain the noise as a faulty device. I found another sub gen 3 available at another Best Buy and got it exchanged the same day. But to my surprise the second one also did the same noise. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just to add my experience to the mix, I received my gen 3 sub from Amazon just the other day and noticed that it has the ticking/hum issue outlined by others here. Sonos support has been very helpful and they offered a replacement, but I just worry the replacement unit will have the same problem. I think the best course of action for me is to go ahead and return the unit to Amazon and maybe think about revisiting purchasing the sub a few months from now when they are hopefully able work out the kinks. I am bummed as I have been waiting for the sub to come into stock for some time now and it was the last thing needed to complete my system. I wanted to accept the flaw at first because I love my current setup and want to support Sonos, but I just can’t for a product of this price.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Just to add my experience to the mix, I received my gen 3 sub from Amazon just the other day and noticed that it has the ticking/hum issue outlined by others here. Sonos support has been very helpful and they offered a replacement, but I just worry the replacement unit will have the same problem. I think the best course of action for me is to go ahead and return the unit to Amazon and maybe think about revisiting purchasing the sub a few months from now when they are hopefully able work out the kinks. I am bummed as I have been waiting for the sub to come into stock for some time now and it was the last thing needed to complete my system. I wanted to accept the flaw at first because I love my current setup and want to support Sonos, but I just can’t for a product of this price.

@cstyow I’m not sure whether a replacement unit is going to fix the issue and it seems like even the newer batches have the same problem as well.
I think you should log the case to Sonos support and I’m sure that once the fix is in place, they will send a new SUB with perfect condition.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi guys,

Was asking for a quick update from the escalation team and they said that they are still trying to resolve the problem.

Thank you for the check-in. As the issue is hardware related, our hardware engineering team is still working on testing and implementing a solution; however, we have not ETA at this time. 

I will notify you as soon as we have a concrete next step. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@andrewchiu1st Thanks for the reply. You received your replacement unit and it exhibited the same issue, correct? Has Sonos committed to replacing your replacement once they have ironed out the hardware issues? I would be happy with that option for my situation moving forward.