Question

sonos sub gen 1 gen 2

• 6 October 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi how can I tell the difference between the gen 1 and gen 2 sub? What is the differance? I am about to purchase a sub but I see that the gen 1 is £100 less.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Grab the cheaper one. Differences are cosmetic, spec and performance identical.
Badge
Cheers John B I take it the gen 2 is the gloss black then? I will prob go for the gen 1 then.
I read somewhere about a change to the trim and smaller logo. My gen 1 is gloss black anyway. I'm not sure Sonos themselves have even used the terms gen 1 and gen 2.
No they haven't. At one time, I think Sub was available for a slightly lower price in matte finish, but wasn't widely available. Internals were/are unchanged.
Badge
Related question to buying a used one - What would you check to make sure its not broken?

I'm buying one used that was bought in 2015 but never used - any tips?

I'll obviously look at the woofers, but its hard to turn it on in a local coffee shop where were meeting 🙂
Little to check in that case, you have to rely on the seller's reputation. One thing you can do is connect it to a nearby mains socket and see that the light starts flashing; better than no test at all if the seller is completely unknown.
Badge
Little to check in that case, you have to rely on the seller's reputation. One thing you can do is connect it to a nearby mains socket and see that the light starts flashing; better than no test at all if the seller is completely unknown.

So I bought it and it sounds awesome :)

The guy said he bought in in December 2014 and never used it. Inspecting it, I think he was being honest - The thing looks perfect.

Thanks for the help @Kumar!