Sonos Sub dissapearing from network

• 13 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi.

I have a Sonos beam and a Gen 3 Sub. The Sub regularly (daily) disappears from the system. The beam still works fine and is in the App, but the Sub has vanished (system setup in the app shows ‘Beam +?’)

Only solution seems to be a factory reset of the sub and then reintroduce it to the system. Not ideal and yesterday I couldn't get it back at all and after a faff I now have the sub but no beam :)

Soooooo. My culprit I think is Sky Q interfering maybe. Ive tried both 5G and 2.4G frequencies and the same thing still happens.

I’m thinking of going down the powerline route and putting a network cable into the sub and maybe the beam too. Has anyone tried this?

thanks.

Paul

6 replies

Userlevel 7

What router are you using? Can you wire the Beam directly to the router with an ethernet cable?

Hello. Its a Sky Q router. Pretty recent one (less than 12 months). And the beam is too far for a direct cable. IMO its the sky TV unit itself, as it acts as a repeater for the network. When I use network tooling to scan the area I see my 2.4 and 5G internet being re transmitted by the Sky TV unit, so they appear twice on the network.

I wonder if Sky have done some sort of update because I’ve started having my speakers drop out on sky too. 

Hi.

I have a Sonos beam and a Gen 3 Sub. The Sub regularly (daily) disappears from the system. The beam still works fine and is in the App, but the Sub has vanished (system setup in the app shows ‘Beam +?’)

Only solution seems to be a factory reset of the sub and then reintroduce it to the system. Not ideal and yesterday I couldn't get it back at all and after a faff I now have the sub but no beam :)

Soooooo. My culprit I think is Sky Q interfering maybe. Ive tried both 5G and 2.4G frequencies and the same thing still happens.

I’m thinking of going down the powerline route and putting a network cable into the sub and maybe the beam too. Has anyone tried this?

thanks.

Paul

Paul, I found a solution to this if you were struggling. I turned the ECO mode off of my Sky Q box and that worked. The Sky Q box acts as a wifi relay but overnight the Q box powers down to ECO changing the front light to red. Turning it off and leaving it on standby I have had 2 nights without problems. 

Ah that's interesting Tarrantino thanks.

Ive effectively done a similar thing by using a pair of 600mbs powerline adapters to switch my sky to a cabled solution. then turning off its wifi entirely. Since then my Sonos has been stable. Note you need to use a special engineers code to turn off the wifi in the Sky Q box. Instructions are easily found via google.

Ive meant to do this for a while anyway as having the same network SID twice seemed to be giving other devices problems too. I imagine theres a bit of swapping between the two going on under the covers causing problems.

Ah that's interesting Tarrantino thanks.

Ive effectively done a similar thing by using a pair of 600mbs powerline adapters to switch my sky to a cabled solution. then turning off its wifi entirely. Since then my Sonos has been stable. Note you need to use a special engineers code to turn off the wifi in the Sky Q box. Instructions are easily found via google.

Ive meant to do this for a while anyway as having the same network SID twice seemed to be giving other devices problems too. I imagine theres a bit of swapping between the two going on under the covers causing problems.

Yes that was going to be my next attempt at a fix. I just noticed it was happening when I got up. Have to say another day of no dropping out so seems to work.