Question

Sonos stuttering / cutting in and out

Badge
Diagnostic 6116327

Have a line in (streaming from Internet to tv) hooked up to connect (which is plugged into modem). Then have 2-play 3s and 1 play 5. Noticeable glitching on everything but the speakers directly plugged into connect.

Please help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Badge
Also, i do not want to compress as the sync is awful. Need another solution!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Fortunately, there is some work to be done that may help tidy this up. Firstly, I can see there is wireless interference on your Hallway, Kitchen, and Master Bedroom devices. You may wish to do a channel evaluation to determine what the best channel for your SONOS system is. This can be done with the aid of a WiFi scanner. Additionally, I would suggest moving your SONOS components 1-2 feet away from your other wireless or electronic components. Lastly, you will want to remove your router's credentials from SONOS. Do this in Settings-> Advanced Settings-> Wireless Setup-> then tap RESET (do not enter the password). Test this, feel free to get back to me on here with another diagnostic. I'd be happy to have a look. Take care.
Badge
Hi Edward R,

Can you please explain to me what you mean by channel evaluation and selecting a channel? I am sorry to sound so clueless, but this is all new to me. Hoping you can guide me through this step by step...

Thanks again for your patience!

Best,
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
All the wireless stuff in your area would normally be sitting on channel 1, 6 or 11 if I remember correctly. There will be a setting in Sonos and on your Router to select the channel they are on. You can get apps for your phone (maybe your laptop too?) that scan for all the stuff on each channel so you can see which one is busiest and avoid it.
Yulp89 .. This link may help you understand how to do a scan in your area to see which wifi channels are being used by you and your neighbours... You need to make sure you and the neighbours wifi are on different channels if possible, or at least choose the least used channel for your router's 2.4ghz band.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/

Then you need to select a totally different wifi channel for SonosNet ... You can change that in the Avanced Settings of your Sonos controller software... Again try to choose the least used channel.

Finally you then need to go the section called Wireless Setup in the advanced settings of the Sonos App and reset/remove your controller from your routers wifi.. The reason to do that is to stop your devices switching from SonosNet to your routers wifi, or vice versa. This will help stabilise your SonosNet connections.

Hopefully if you do these things ... All will be well and your problems should be resolved.

Hope that helps and gives you a little better understanding.
Badge
Thank you guys for all your help! Unfortunately, I am still having issues... Hasn't improved at all after following these steps :?
What was the result of your area wifi scans? And what channel(s) have you now set on your router 2.4ghz band and SonosNet?

Did you also follow Edward R's (Sonos Staff) advice above ? about moving your devices and resetting/removing your home wifi settings in the advanced setting of your Sonos controller to ensure the Sonos devices do not jump between SonosNet and your home wifi signal?

Each one of these steps are important to do.

If you are unsure on how to do any of these things, then it may pay you to contact Sonos Support via telephone and perhaps provide them with remote access permission to help you resolve your apparent wireless conflicts.
Badge
Hi,

Router is on 11, SonosNet is 1. I have tried swapping between 1 and 6 as 11 seems to have the most congestion, but I am getting the same results.

I believe I have done the second step, I simply did as you guys said and "reset" from the controller.

Anything else? Is there something I am missing?
Try router on channel 8 (2.4ghz band) and SonosNet on 11 to begin with and leave it for 10 mins for things to settle down .. Run speakers for 15 mins ... If you still get a problem submit another diagnostic. Whilst waiting for Sonos Staff to get back to you. Try SonosNet on channel 6. Again leave things settle for 10 mins and try the speakers again for 15 minutes.

By the way what is your music source? Are you streaming from an online service or are you getting the tracks from a PC/NAS or local device (mobile or tablet etc.) I'm just wondering if the music source could be your issue? ... Try the above first and see how it goes.

Kind Regards...

Ken
Badge
I will try that tonight and let you guys know how it goes! I'm getting frustrated over here :S

While I do use a NAS, I am getting same results regardless of music source (i.e., Spotify, Music Library, line-in, etc).
Yulp89,

I know the feeling, these things are usually signal issues. I have a friend who's house has thick walls and he has been forced to part-cable his rooms. I'm surprised your Sonos Boost isn't sorting it out for you... Try the settings I suggest and then if it is still causing you a problem, submit a diagnostic to Sonos and give their local support desk a phone call. They should be able to sort it for you. They are very helpful folk.
Try router on channel 8 (2.4ghz band) and SonosNet on 11 to begin with and leave it for 10 mins for things to settle down .. Run speakers for 15 mins ... If you still get a problem submit another diagnostic. Whilst waiting for Sonos Staff to get back to you. Try SonosNet on channel 6. Again leave things settle for 10 mins and try the speakers again for 15 minutes.
Eh? A router on channel 8 will have damaging overlaps onto ch 11 and especially ch 6. Never put anything you can control on a channel other than 1, 6 or 11. (The environment revealed by the scanner is bad enough, with lower strength signals all over the place.)
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Try the settings I suggest and then if it is still causing you a problem, submit a diagnostic to Sonos and give their local support desk a phone call.

I'll echo this recommendation as well, Yulp89. Some great advice in here on what steps to take to analyze and modify your wireless environment. If Sonos is still giving you any trouble afterwards, it'd be best to talk to our technicians via phone at that point so we can help investigate even further. Let us know in this thread (or send me a PM) and I can get a support ticket going for you if needed.
Badge
I'm having this issue too. A few thoughts:
- I've had this system with a single router, and after upgrading to a mesh network.
- I'm suppressed Sonos doesn't address this directly in documentation, but instead leaves users to find a bunch of iffy work-arounds.
- For the money spent on the system, this is a frustrating problem to have.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Diagnostic 6116327

Have a line in (streaming from Internet to tv) hooked up to connect (which is plugged into modem). Then have 2-play 3s and 1 play 5. Noticeable glitching on everything but the speakers directly plugged into connect.

Please help!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
This remains a glitch with Sonos and unlikely to be a problem related to external factors. I’ve had this problem in everyone of 23 different locations some with no possible interference. It rarely if ever plays smoothly from line in with l and r speakers. Frustrating but not as frustrating as the awful app that still isn’t useable despite 123 updates!