Answered

Sonos streaming Spotify turns off overnight

• 17 October 2018
  • 4 replies

I recently acquired a Play1 that I added to my Play5. The P1 is in my dog’s room. He sleeps with very low volume music that streams from Spotify. The background sound keeps him from waking and barking at passing foxes and the function was filled until recently by a radio alarm clock. For some reason the music stream stops in the night. Everything works fine. There are no IP issues. It’s as thoug one or the other of the two variables has a time-out.

Does anyone know if this is the case and how to work around it?
icon

Best answer by Paulw123 17 October 2018, 10:04

I think the music streaming services will stop the stream after about 4hrs, to protect their servers from misuse etc.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I think the music streaming services will stop the stream after about 4hrs, to protect their servers from misuse etc.
In which case you could probably set an "alarm" to start around that time, and have it play the streaming service again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yes setting alarms might help you out and effectively keep the stream playing. Didn't think about that one till I got home 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Most music services have a timeout period. Some might cut as short as 2 hours, some might go 8 or more. Since the services usually pay their royalties/fees based on how many people are listening or how many plays a song gets, they want to keep idle sessions to a minimum so they're not paying for streams that people aren't listening to.

As others have suggested, you could set an alarm to load a different station, or maybe even reload the same station, and that should be enough to start a new session and restart the service's timer.