Answered

Sonos stops when iPhone sleeps, only when playing music from the phone

Hi, since I updated my speaker with the new software yesterday (14 July 18) it stops playing music when my iPhone goes into sleep mode. It only seems to do it when I’m playing music from my phone as I had the radio on today and it worked fine for hours. It seems to be since the Sonos controller was removed from my locked screen. Any ideas? Thanks Paul
icon

Best answer by John B 14 July 2018, 20:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

The app is just a controller, so if you smashed your phone with a hammer the music would continue from any source other than the phone itself. The music doesn't play through the phone. But if the sourcve is the phone, and the phone goes to sleep, I would expect the music to stop. Are you sure it was ever otherwise?
But it never used to stop so why does it stop now! I have just downloaded the new software and it stops for
Why does it keep stopping?
Help!! You
I would suggest that John B is correct. Before, when you were playing music from the phone, it probably stopped when the phone went to sleep. Or, it's possible that there's a setting on your phone that has recently changed that's causing it to stop sending data when the sleep function is activated.

If you were to move your music from your phone to an NAS, you wouldn't have this issue, as the NAS is designed to be "on" all the time. Or you could move your music to one of Sonos' supported cloud services, like I believe Amazon, which supports a certain number of uploads.

Unfortunately, this isn't a Sonos issue, since the Sonos is working when the data is "available" on your phone, it's an issue with the OS on the phone.

What version of iOS are you using?
I’m using IOS 11.4. Thank you for all the help
I believe what Ramsdenp is saying is when the screen goes dark not the phone. I have experienced the same thing with an iPad and an iPhoen. This is not an IOS issue since these devices play on other wireless and Bluetooth speakers just fine when the screen sleeps.
My experience was:
1) whenever the screen went dark the app would stop playing music (maybe 1-2 minutes later)
Things improved (by which I mean the music stopped 'stopping') after I went to the home button->settings->sonos->then enable 'Background App Re..."
After turning on 'Background App Re...' then the music didn't stop but now it would skip sometimes.
Hope this helps.
Yeah I believe you are referring to the background app refresh which I have had on the whole time. I have done numerous tests with various iOS devices through different speaker systems and the Sonos is the only one that stops playing when the screen logs. This is true for podcasts as well as music.

To me this is a design flaw on the Sonos side as by the very nature of a portable player, iPod, iPhone, iPad it is designed to play when the screen goes dark. If the screen had to stay active this would simply kill the battery of said device.

Still waiting on a Sonos fix!!!!!
So if you would expect the music to stop why does the same not happen in my car when I’m playing a playlist from my phone through my Bluetooth connection or on a pair of headphones, wired or Bluetooth? My phone always goes to sleep and the music continues
It's due to the way that Sonos works, which is different than other players. Other players are "playing" on your phone itself. Sonos players are "playing" on the speakers, not on your phone, so the way the OS looks at it is different. The Sonos is contacting your phone to request data, the others are actually working on the phone, without going outside and reaching back in.
I never remember having this problem with my sonos system before. I have had Sonos for at least 5 or 6 years and always play from my iPhone, is there something that changed in the way sonos works that this has become a problem?

Rich
No, Sonos works the same. It has to do with a change that Apple made with iOS 11.
I am having the same exact problem and it never used to be this way. Either Apple changed something or Sonos did...Dunno, but very irritating. As soon as my iPhone goes to sleep and whatever music is still left in the Buffer, maybe a minute or two, then the music stops. This is purchased, downloaded music on my iPhone. Like I said, I always played music this way and it never stopped this way before. All other streaming services work fine.
Apple made the change in iOS 11. Sonos has been trying to fix the issue since then.
Apple made the change in iOS 11. Sonos has been trying to fix the issue since then.
iOS11??? Is that a typo? Aren't we on iOS 12 now? iOS11 was a year and a half ago! I surely hope you are not say that this issue has been going on for a year and a half and Sonos is still trying to fix it are you?
You can make all the inferences you choose to. That appears to be when the issue started cropping up. I don't work for either Apple or Sonos, so I have absolutely no knowledge about how long they've been discussing the issue.