Answered

Sonos stops when Apple TV is switched on

I have 2 Play:1’s linked to my S2 app. Each Sonos has it’s own Alexa Echo Dot connected to it. Both Sonos speakers work fine normally (a few dropouts/buffering but nothing major).

As soon as my Apple TV 4K box is switched on, the audio that is being played on the Sonos speaker stops. If I close the Sonos app and restart it, either the speaker that I was listening to is missing from the Sonos app or the app can’t connect to my Sonos system at all. As soon as Apple TV is switched off, then after a short while, the Sonos app shows the 2 speakers again.

I’ve checked the ip addresses of everything connected to my router and they are all unique. I’ve tried making the 3 ip addresses (Sonos and Apple tv) static and rebooting the router but it’s made no difference. Anyone any ideas please?   

icon

Best answer by n1ckbarnes 11 May 2021, 10:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Can you tell us what router you have please?

Hi

It’s an EE Smart Hub (UK)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if that is linked to the BT Smart Hub issue: BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021) | Sonos Community

I wonder if that is linked to the BT Smart Hub issue: BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021) | Sonos Community

Thanks - I’d seen that but not sure if EE / BT routers share commonality

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There are similarities but I'm not sure if at the firmware level. However, it might be worth turning the 5gHz off and testing. 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @n1ckbarnes 

It sounds like the Apple TV is flooding your network with misdirected multicast or failed transmission packets when it is turned on. This is making the router respond to thousands of unnecessary packets and your Play:1 and it’s music stream are getting lost in the noise. 

How does your Apple TV connect? If it connects via WiFi, I recommend removing it from the immediate vicinity of other WiFi devices. If it connects via ethernet, it might be worth replacing the cable.

I recommend recreating the issue, immediately submitting a diagnostic afterwards (after turning the Apple TV off again and without rebooting Sonos) and then getting in touch with our technical support team - if they confirm multicast flooding, it may be best to connect the Apple TV via a IGMP-enabled ethernet switch (cheap - less than £$€50), or activate IGMP Snooping/filtering on your router, if it has that option.

Thanks @Corry P - everything connecting to the router is wireless.

I’ve changed the static ip addresses and rebooted the router and that seems to have cured the issue for now (I’ve not been able to recreate the issue since :))

I’ll bear in mind your suggestions should the issue reoccur

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @n1ckbarnes 

Fantastic - good thinking!

There mayhave been an IP conflict with Apple TV and a speaker.

Hi @n1ckbarnes 

It sounds like the Apple TV is flooding your network with misdirected multicast or failed transmission packets when it is turned on. This is making the router respond to thousands of unnecessary packets and your Play:1 and it’s music stream are getting lost in the noise. 

How does your Apple TV connect? If it connects via WiFi, I recommend removing it from the immediate vicinity of other WiFi devices. If it connects via ethernet, it might be worth replacing the cable.

I recommend recreating the issue, immediately submitting a diagnostic afterwards (after turning the Apple TV off again and without rebooting Sonos) and then getting in touch with our technical support team - if they confirm multicast flooding, it may be best to connect the Apple TV via a IGMP-enabled ethernet switch (cheap - less than £$€50), or activate IGMP Snooping/filtering on your router, if it has that option.

Problem is reoccurring and seems to get progressively worse each day - as soon as Apple TV is switched on, SONOS radio stream stops and trying to view the speakers via the SONOS phone app / PC app fails to find my SONOS network. I suspect that rebooting the router did more than making the IP addresses static. After a period of time, the SONOS app ‘recovers’ and finds the speakers again and I can resume listening to music. Guess I need to investigate IGMP filtering :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @n1ckbarnes 

If your router doesn’t have IGMP as an option, you can purchase a small IGMP-enabled network switch for under 40 creds ($£€). Connect the Apple TV to your network via the switch and the flooding will disappear.

Hi @n1ckbarnes 

If your router doesn’t have IGMP as an option, you can purchase a small IGMP-enabled network switch for under 40 creds ($£€). Connect the Apple TV to your network via the switch and the flooding will disappear.

It doesn’t, so I’ll have to raid the piggy bank. Interestingly, my router is “related” to the BT router in the link above, and I have split 2.4 / 5 GHz channels, but apparently it’s not affected…..

Thanks for your advice @Corry P :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @n1ckbarnes 

You’re very welcome!

Interestingly, my router is “related” to the BT router in the link above, and I have split 2.4 / 5 GHz channels, but apparently it’s not affected…..

Even if the BT router and the EE router were the same physically (internally, anyway), the EE router would never receive a firmware update from BT so you won’t be affected by that issue, just as @UKMedia suggested.

I should mention that if you have a Sonos device wired to your network via ethernet, you should connect that via the IGMP switch too.

I do recommend you first get in touch with our technical support team who will confirm that multicast is indeed the problem, before spending any money - unless you don’t mind returning the switch if it doesn’t help.