Answered

Sonos stops playing randomly

Userlevel 1
Hi. My Sonos system has worked perfectly for years, but have recently started to experience an issue whereby playback of music will suddenly stop altogether. The length of time this happens after is fairly random but it could happen a couple of minutes into the first song, or in the middle of the second or third. It happens both whilst playing music from my NAS, or from internet services like Amazon music.

This has been happening for a few weeks now and is difficult to pinpoint to a single cause, because several changes happened in my home at round about the same time: i) there was a large Sonos software update which failed several times before finally working; ii) I got a new NAS (so my music library moved); iii) I moved some of my network devices around; iv) I upgraded my main broadband router to a BT Smart Hub (although these last two were largely in response to the problem!).

So far, I have tried:
- Separating the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi frequencies
- Ensuring Sonos is on a different channel (11) to my home wifi (6)
- Checking for wireless interference from other networks in the area
- Checking for any IP address conflicts on my network (there are none)
- Replacing cable being used to connect Sonos Bridge to my network
- Moving the Sonos Bridge away from the router and other devices to a different part of the house
- Switching off my wireless IP cameras in case they were causing interference

Getting desperate now. Just done a diagnostic - 7660366 - if anybody can help!

TIA
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 April 2019, 21:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

I’m having a similar problem. I’ve got my record player hooked up through my connect. I’ve tried changing the wireless channels on both the Sonos app and router. Works for a bit then cuts out. My ref number is 2033664107. 

Thanks

Hello @bminno9, welcome to the community! 

I understand that you are experiencing some issues with playing music from your turntable to Sonos. Thank you for providing that diagnostic. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

Does this happen with music services, such as Tunein, or does this only happen from content from the turntable? 

Does this turntable have pre-amp by chance? If you are not sure, would you mind providing the make and model of that turntable?

Hello Richard, thanks for the reply. Yes it also stops when I’m using Spotify or Apple Music or any other streaming service. The turntable is a pioneer dj and has a pre amp. 

Kind regards

Brendan

Thank you for confirming that. The diagnostic did not show any errors from those services. Have you played music from Spotify, or Apple music recently? 

Does this only happen when the Connect is playing audio; for example, if you were to play music on just your Beam, does the audio cut out as well? 

Yes the beam cuts out while using Apple Music. I’ll see what it does tonight and if it stops I’ll run another diagnostic test. 

Thanks

Sounds good! I look forward to your reply. 

Hi Richard, the Sonos system has been good since last time I spoke to you but it’s started playing up again. It’s cutting out using Apple Music with the iPad and also through the record player hooked up with the connect. My diagnostic number is: 111585530

Thanks again

Brendan

Thank  you for letting me know. The only thing I am seeing in this diagnostic, is insufficient bandwidth. When you are playing music to your speakers, is anything else using your internet? 

Also, what time of day does this happen? If this happens post rush hour, it is possible that your internet provider may be struggling to maintain the appropriate bandwidth to maintain the audio stream. 

Hello Richard,

So my Sonos system has started to play up again. It’s only my beam that’s affected. I have a Sonos one grouped with the beam. The beam stops playing while the one keeps on playing. I group the beam back with the kitchen and it’ll play for 2-3 mins and then stop again. Any help would be appreciated. My diagnostic number is: 177370424

Kind regards
Brendan

Thank you. We would like to move your case over to our phone team, as we can go through more detailed troubleshooting with you in live time. I am going to send you a direct message requesting more information, so I can create a case for you.