Question

Sonos starting with maximum sounds in the middle of the night using Spotify

Badge

I’ve been using Sonos for 5 years without many problems. Last night the system came on with full force while I was sleeping. It played music from the Spotify account of a student that lives 1000 miles away from our house.

I went ahead and deleted any Spotify accounts on my system. 3 hours later the system came on in full force again, this team showing music from the Spotify “Guest” account.

I unplugged all speakers and managed to catch some sleep.

My wireless is secure. It is nearly impossible that any outside had access and triggered the system to come on.
Everyone in the house was asleep. No one was touching their phones.
I ran a diagnostic report and submitted it to Sonos after the 1st incident. The confirmation # is 329861729

I need help with debugging this. This can never happen again.
 If this can’t be debugged I’ll have to get rid of the system.

I appreciate all good ideas but at the end it comes down to Sonos Support.
I was very surprised that the only option to reach out was to send an email to the CEO.

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I did have something similar 7 months ago, luckily it hasn’t happened since then, I put it down to a one off at the time. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/music-from-spotify-starts-playing-by-itself-no-alarms-part-ii-6832265

Badge

Thank you. I read the entire threads but this still makes no sense to me at all. I’m totally puzzled. Hopefully Keith N or someone else at Sonos can look at the diagnostics.

The fact that I removed all Spotify accounts and it keeps coming back as a guest account is highly concerning. Same with the volume turned to maximum. 

It feels like having a poltergeist in the house.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @klaus2go,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your playback issue.

I’m sorry for the long delay in responding to your post. 

Has this occurred again since you have removed all Spotify accounts from your Sonos system?

Was this student’s account still associated with you system at the time of that the playback occurred?

I don’t see any evidence of other controllers associated to your local network, so I don’t believe that this was triggered by anyone compromising your home WiFi. I am looking for any indication that there was a paused stream started inadvertently by anyone (cat?) hitting the “Play” button on your speakers, but I don’t see that this is the case here.         

I’m hoping that all has been quiet since and that a little more detail will help us find the ghost. 

Badge

Hi Sean,
thanks for your response.

We haven’t had this issue since then but for the most time I just had the system unplugged.

One student kid was at a friend’s house. They tried to add a speaker or get into the system in that house.

At about that same time our system came on in full flare. It should the Spotify account of our other student kid though. He was also far away at that time. Both kids have been using our main Sonos system. They also have their own speaker and are on their separate system.

If I hear you correctly it is possible that they could have started our system remotely from being on another Wifi?

It is pretty much impossible that anyone would have hacked our wifi and there was no one in the house to hit a play button on our speakers.

Just for clarification:
The system came on twice that night. In the first occurence I could see the spotify account of one of our student kids. I went ahead and removed both spotify accounts on the network. The system came on again 3 hours later and showed “spotify guest” as the source of the music.

Greetings,
Klaus

Badge

I also have since switched to the S2 app. Maybe that helps as well.

This isn't a mystery at all but a known feature of Spotify Connect. If someone uses Spotify Connect to play through a speaker on your network, a cloud-based connection is made. Because the connection is in the cloud, it persists even when the controller is no longer on the WiFi network.  I have proved this to myself by experiment in the past.

The solution is to play another source through the speaker. That breaks the connection. 

BTW, removing accounts doesn't help because Spotify Connect does not require the visitor's Spotify account to be added to the Sonos system. This is a Spotify Connect matter, not a Sonos system matter. It is just that Sonos speakers are Spotify Connect enabled.

I also have since switched to the S2 app. Maybe that helps as well.

This is irrelevant. The Sonos system and app are nothing to do with this. Spotify Connect does not use the Sonos app. 

Badge

Thanks John, so what you are recommending is to use another source after anyone uses Spotify Connect to break the link, correct?

I’m not a Spotify user but can make sure that the kids will follow that protocol.

Thanks John, so what you are recommending is to use another source after anyone uses Spotify Connect to break the link, correct?

I’m not a Spotify user but can make sure that the kids will follow that protocol.

Hi.  Yes, that is what I am saying.  You can test this whole thing quite easily.  Get someone to use the Spotify app (i.e. use Spotify Connect) to play through one of your speakers.  Pause the music.  Switch off WiFi on phone so that it connects to internet over mobile data.  Try to open the Sonos app - it won’t even find the Sonos system.  Go back to Spotify app and press play.  The music should start again.

Stop the music.  Use another controller to play some internet radio in Sonos app.  Try to start the music in Spotify again using the device that is still off the WiFi.  This time it should be no dice.

It would be useful to know if this still works as it did when I tested this.  It was a while ago and I no longer have Spotify.

This all applies only to using the Spotify app, not Spotify’s integration in the Sonos app.  At least, I am 99.9% sure that is the case.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @klaus2go

@John B seems to have all the contingencies covered and thank you. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance with this issue.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Yes, that is what I am saying.  You can test this whole thing quite easily.  Get someone to use the Spotify app (i.e. use Spotify Connect) to play through one of your speakers.  Pause the music.  Switch off WiFi on phone so that it connects to internet over mobile data.  Try to open the Sonos app - it won’t even find the Sonos system.  Go back to Spotify app and press play.  The music should start again.

Just tested steps above, after disabling wifi (and disconnecting from Sonos) I was able to un pause the previously playing Spotify track from my phone connected via 4G only, so this is still a ‘feature’ (not so sure its a good feature), and probably explains the strangeness I experienced a while back, @John B thanks for clarifying.

@craigski . Thanks for testing it out.  I agree it's an undesirable feature.  I can only guess that the nature of the connection is really fundamental to the way in which Spotify Connect works and cannot get rid of it.  That is pure speculation.  though.

@craigski . Thanks for testing it out.  I agree it's an undesirable feature.  I can only guess that the nature of the connection is really fundamental to the way in which Spotify Connect works and cannot get rid of it.  That is pure speculation.  though.

@John B : I use Spotify Connect often and it works very well, so I don't want to stop using it, and at the same time I do not want any side effects as on this thread. What should I NOT do to ensure that someone does not access my system in this way? 

Give anyone else access to use Spotify Connect to your Sonos system. 

Or, the easier thing to do, as John B points out: The solution is to play another source through the speaker. That breaks the connection. 

Give anyone else access to use Spotify Connect to your Sonos system. 

Is this grant of access a specific action that is to be taken beyond giving access to the home Wifi that gives them access to the Sonos system itself? Because the home WiFi access to Sonos can't be used to play Sonos except when in range of the home WiFi network range...correct?

I no longer remember what I did to get Spotify Connect to work with my Sonos, hence the question.

Has nothing to do with Sonos, it’s a characteristic of Spotify Connect itself.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Social/Spotify-Connect-over-the-Internet/td-p/1212959

@John B : I use Spotify Connect often and it works very well, so I don't want to stop using it, and at the same time I do not want any side effects as on this thread. What should I NOT do to ensure that someone does not access my system in this way? 

There is no access to your system.  There is a connection to a Spotify Connect enabled speaker that happens to be manufactured by Sonos.

That connection can only be made in the first place by a person to whom you have allowed access to your network