Question

Sonos Spotify Integration is a disaster.

• 10 January 2017
  • 14 replies

Badge
I beta tested the Sonos Spotify Connect integration and it worked 100% flawless straight out of the box in beta. Now I have upgraded to 7.0 and it is a complete disaster. I cannot connect and stream to any of the Spotify embedded (Sonos) Nodes at all.. they are all showing up in the Spotify App as options but when I go to throw the music stream to any of them, it says "connecting" then the connection drops. Why is this happening/ Why did you release this upgrade and take it out of beta (which was working fine) and why would I now be having problems (when I wasn't before)? And no I do not want to waste any more time creating a "ticket" -Why not simply explain why it wouldn't now be working when it was previously working just just fine?? Thank You

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You realise you have completely contradicted yourself?

On the one hand you claim to have been an active participant in the Beta program and it was 100% stable. In which case why wouldn't Sonos release that live? That's the whole point of Beta testing.

Whilst there is always a small possibility that somehow bug(s) have slipped through or even , possibly, been introduced after Beta testing but before release. This isn't something that happens very often.

It is extremely likely that there are issues with your network -- be it IP conflicts or interference so it would make sense to proceed on that basis.
And no I do not want to waste any more time
It's tempting to take the same attitude, however let me just repeat the standard advice:

Any problems occurring immediately after an update are almost certainly due to an IP address conflict, triggered by the Sonos device reboots picking up an in-use IP from a router which has lost its lease info.

Restart everything on your network to clear any IP duplicates.

To prevent a recurrence, reserve fixed IP addresses in your router.
Badge
SW> Sonos always blames peoples home networks, yet hasn't it occurred to you it has to live in a network to well.. "work?.. What are you talking about? My network hasn't changed. Why blame my network? Like I said beta was fine. I tested it in beta for a week, then I haven't used the product since. It's been dormant. I upgrade to 7.0 today and KBOOM.. it doesn't work. Why is that a problem with my networK? Nothing about my network has changed...
A router restart -- sometimes at the behest of an ISP, sometimes user-triggered -- can cause such issues.

You asked for advice. Feel free to maintain your attitude and ignore it if you wish.
Badge
Everything is still streaming just fine playing Spotify straight out of the Sonos app to all the nodes. Just fine. It's in the Spotify Connect application streaming to Spotify (Sonos) nodes from within the Spotify app I am talking about. All the non Sonos Spotify nodes are fine. This is simply not good enough. Just blaming peoples networks all the time....
Badge
A router restart -- sometimes at the behest of an ISP, sometimes user-triggered -- can cause such issues.

That is ridiculous. Why have a software setup designed with such a fatal flaw in it that a users ISP, or a simple router restart..say due to a power outage (neither of which your customers can control) would throw such a spanner in the works? What is stopping that happening again? And again? I'd like a more detailed explanation of the potential issues why this might be occurring here please.. Before wasting any more time. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

That is ridiculous. Why have a software setup designed with such a fatal flaw in it that a users ISP (which they can;t control) would throw such a spanner in the works? What is stopping that happening again? And again? I'd like a more detailed explanation of the potential issues why this might be occurring here please.. Before wasting any more time. Thank you.

Not very likely with your attitude pal

Go fly a kite
Badge
No way "Pal". You got aggressive with your reply right from the start. So typical of the attitude around here. Everyone else and the end customers fault other than the primary rollout of the upgrade. Where is the warning? Where is the "How to" or the troubleshooting notes on the release. Such typical arrogance.
Badge
This feature just doesn't work as advertised. Period. It's Sonos problem. Take it or leave it. Feedback given. And a detailed explanation as to what might be the underlying issues requested. I still don't have an answer. Just the usual "motherhood" statement "its the end users network at fault".. such a typical attitude. Always "someone else problem" with this product.. if it just worked as advertised do you think I would be wasting my time asking why it isn't?
That is ridiculous. Why have a software setup designed with such a fatal flaw in it that a users ISP, or a simple router restart..say due to a power outage (neither of which your customers can control) would throw such a spanner in the works? What is stopping that happening again? And again? I'd like a more detailed explanation of the potential issues why this might be occurring here please.. Before wasting any more time. Thank you.

Not ridiculous at all, it's a fact of life with consumer grade routers. They are not equipped to remember IP assignments after a reboot unless set up correctly. It simply forgets what is assigned and reissues them as new when other devices still have them assigned. 90% of the time this isn't noticed because only one or two IPs are reissued per day, and IP conflucts tend to stay hidden, causing only delays, but not failure, for the sporadic access of browsing or social media.

Sonos is another deal, but it's because of what it does, not any design flaw (there is really nothing Sonos can do to fix your router problems). When Sonos updates, all devices need to reboot. Upon reboot, they request new IP adresses. Then they all try to interact with each other, broadcasting a carefully timed constant stream of data. This will uncover an IP conflict right away. The only cure is to refresh the IPs on your system. Luckily, you can prevent this from happening again, but I will refrain from telling you how until I see your reaction to this explanation. Keep it up with your anger and insults to people who only wish to help, and you are on your own with a busted system which is easily fixed.
Badge
You expect me to have to refresh all 120 odd IP's on my system? Individually?? Just to suit your product? Even if it is just a router reboot, why should I have to do that just to suit the fact that your product isn't robust and tough enough to live in the real world. Time is money. Simpler to just move to a different way of using Spotify Connect via a different product. Thanks anyway for the detailed explanation. Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well no. You need to do more than a router reboot. You need to switch off every device on that network including router, Sonos and all other network attached devices. Then switch on router, followed by Bridge or Boost (if you have one), then Sonos and then the rest of your gear.

Unfortunately it does happen that that routers and network devices, including Sonos, get muddled up with IP addresses and because this will happen, if it happens, when devices are re-booted this is why updates can expose these problems.

And you only have to reboot those items on the SAME network as your Sonos. Do you really have 120? That does seem rather a lot.

Good luck
What an arrogant ass.
You expect me to have to refresh all 120 odd IP's on my system? Individually?? Just to suit your product? Even if it is just a router reboot, why should I have to do that just to suit the fact that your product isn't robust and tough enough to live in the real world. Time is money. Simpler to just move to a different way of using Spotify Connect via a different product. Thanks anyway for the detailed explanation. Cheers.

1) Not my product. I don't work for Sonos, therefore I couldn't give a fat rat's ass how many IPs you need to refresh, I'm just trying to help you out, and in exchange I get your abuse. Lucky me.

2) It's your router that is the problem, not the product. Perhaps you should complain to the router manufacturer for having to "suit their product".

3) Do whatever you want. You aren't going to find another comparable product without the same problem.

PS - If you had been willing to do the refresh, instead of spewing venom, I would have helped you fix your router settings so that you would never worry about this again. Yet you just couldn't resist being a petulant child. So who wins here? 😃