Answered

Sonos sporadically stops playing in the middle of songs

• 11 September 2018
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 1
I am ready to give up on this product. Just submitted diagnostics, # 1362819229.
I have a rock solid wifi network, nothing else is problematic. I have 3 Sonos Play:1 speakers, all with unique IP addresses. My iTunes music library is on a Macbook Pro that is continuously connected to the same network. If I play from "Sonos Controller for Mac", it seems to work fine, but if I begin playback from Sonos on the iPhone, it either a) works just fine, or, b) Constantly stops playing in the middle of a song. There doesn't seem to be a pattern - it's just random. Nothing worse than having the music cut out during playback. Sonos - THIS IS TABLE STAKES. How can you make a product with just ONE mission, and expect to succeed if you cannot deliver on it in a bulletproof way? Unimpressed.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 8 October 2018, 17:33

Same issue here. Sometimes I’m lucky if it’s a song. I restart my phone and wifi network (using Google Wifi mesh network) and still the same problem. A friend can connect to my system and plays fine. Just upload a diagnostic report #2099263957I played with this further and seems that if I am playing from the iPhone (stored music or podcasts) this happens as opposed to a streaming music service. Comes up with an error for a moment saying “Unable to play song ‘ because is unavailable. Launch the Sonos controller on ‘‘ to enable playback.

Any ideas ?

There's an issue with playback from the storage on iOS devices which causes audio interruptions when you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network and your iOS device goes to sleep. We're investigating the issue, but for now you can get the streaming going again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or by disabling auto lock in your iOS device's settings menu under display & brightness.

Another option is to sync your phone's storage with a computer, and stream from a music share. Here's how to set that up.

Moderator Note:
Aside from the above, if you are encountering issues with your Sonos devices, there are a few points you will need to explore.
Is the issue the fact that your music is being interrupted but it's not stored on an iOS device? Commonly, this can come as a result of wireless interference. Are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

Having read the information linked above, if you are still having issues, please start a new topic with the following information:

• What devices do you have?
  • Has anything changed on the network?
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Same issue here. Just submitted diagnostic #2124121977. Apple Music plays the song for a minute or two then stops and picks up with the next song after a short break. Everything else in the WiFi network is fine
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am ready to give up on this product. Just submitted diagnostics, # 1362819229.
I have a rock solid wifi network, nothing else is problematic. I have 3 Sonos Play:1 speakers, all with unique IP addresses. My iTunes music library is on a Macbook Pro that is continuously connected to the same network. If I play from "Sonos Controller for Mac", it seems to work fine, but if I begin playback from Sonos on the iPhone, it either a) works just fine, or, b) Constantly stops playing in the middle of a song. There doesn't seem to be a pattern - it's just random. Nothing worse than having the music cut out during playback. Sonos - THIS IS TABLE STAKES. How can you make a product with just ONE mission, and expect to succeed if you cannot deliver on it in a bulletproof way? Unimpressed.

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. I see that you have a couple of wireless access points, and that they are running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for the Sonos system to communicate. Please change all of your wireless access points to the same wireless channel.

Also, is your Mac going to sleep while you're playing from its library? If the hard drive on the Mac goes to sleep, the Sonos system will be unable to access the music library. Please take a look at your computer's sleep settings under energy settings in the system preferences, and make sure that your computer and hard drive are set to never sleep.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue here. Just submitted diagnostic #2124121977. Apple Music plays the song for a minute or two then stops and picks up with the next song after a short break. Everything else in the WiFi network is fine

Hi jyoker,

It looks like your system is cutting out while playing from your iOS device's storage. There's an issue that some folks have where playback from iOS devices cuts out when the device goes into auto lock, or goes to sleep. This only happens if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices enabled on your network. You can try disabling auto lock in your phone's display and brightness settings, or you can disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices on your network.

Another option would be to sync your iOS device's library with a computer, then set up a music share for Sonos.
Same issue here. Sometimes I’m lucky if it’s a song. I restart my phone and wifi network (using Google Wifi mesh network) and still the same problem. A friend can connect to my system and plays fine. Just upload a diagnostic report #2099263957
Same issue here. Sometimes I’m lucky if it’s a song. I restart my phone and wifi network (using Google Wifi mesh network) and still the same problem. A friend can connect to my system and plays fine. Just upload a diagnostic report #2099263957

I played with this further and seems that if I am playing from the iPhone (stored music or podcasts) this happens as opposed to a streaming music service. Comes up with an error for a moment saying “Unable to play song ‘ because is unavailable. Launch the Sonos controller on ‘‘ to enable playback.

Any ideas ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Same issue here. Sometimes I’m lucky if it’s a song. I restart my phone and wifi network (using Google Wifi mesh network) and still the same problem. A friend can connect to my system and plays fine. Just upload a diagnostic report #2099263957I played with this further and seems that if I am playing from the iPhone (stored music or podcasts) this happens as opposed to a streaming music service. Comes up with an error for a moment saying “Unable to play song ‘ because is unavailable. Launch the Sonos controller on ‘‘ to enable playback.

Any ideas ?

There's an issue with playback from the storage on iOS devices which causes audio interruptions when you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network and your iOS device goes to sleep. We're investigating the issue, but for now you can get the streaming going again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or by disabling auto lock in your iOS device's settings menu under display & brightness.

Another option is to sync your phone's storage with a computer, and stream from a music share. Here's how to set that up.

Moderator Note:
Aside from the above, if you are encountering issues with your Sonos devices, there are a few points you will need to explore.
Is the issue the fact that your music is being interrupted but it's not stored on an iOS device? Commonly, this can come as a result of wireless interference. Are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

Having read the information linked above, if you are still having issues, please start a new topic with the following information:

• What devices do you have?
  • Has anything changed on the network?
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
I have the same issue. Sonos is definitely NOT what it used to be. Something has changed and my system no longer plays from any iOS device without stopping randomly, restarting on a ne song, or even starting mid song. Basically I have thousands of dollars of useless SONOS gear. .... seems the only thing that works is the PlayBar which runs ‘line in’ from my TV. I can get much cheaper and just as good line in speakers for my TV.
You have a real problem, (check the number of complaints, request for support, etc) it’s been this way for a long time and you seem in denial....... ?
It needs to be fixed - your brand is dying a slow horrible death..... at least in my household!
Badge +1
Rjbender, with all due respect I 100% disagree, "I can get much cheaper and just as good line in speakers for my TV", go for it, nothing stopping you. Apple is pushing out updates all the time without telling anyone about the downstream impact simply because there are too many. Blaming SONOS? Ok. Whatever. There are many variables involved, network, routers, TVs, firewalls, SONOS, Apple iOS, Android, and the list goes on. Why not check with a mate who has an Android phone and test it that way, you might get lucky 🆒.
Well I guess with a username like that, you were never going to agree.... you’re right about there being many variables.... but it’s my SONOS system that doesn’t cope..... and it’s been that way for ages.
Badge +1
Ok maybe get a BOSE or SAMSUNG system and sell the inferior SONOS or even better donate it to charity. Wishing you all the best.
@rjbender and @Jeff S
What do you mean by "disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices". You mean to disable airplay on all my Apple TVs? If so, that defeats the purpose of having my Apple TVs.

Hopefully a little bit of clarification will help. I hope that is not the real solution. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Am I mistaken or didn't he say they are looking into the issue to correct it. Says they are working on real solution, saying that is workaround. Then you ask if that's the real solution??????
It's now been a year that this has been happening. We are finally at the decision point to jump off of Sonos. Really, this is my last ditch effort not to spend a lot of money on a new HomePod setup. I won't buy the new Sonos gear because of this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
An nas drive in house is better solution then playing songs direct from phone.
I really enjoy the product when it works. The skipping problem appears to be quite popular and troubling. Sonos needs to fix this internally as other companies fix/update their hardware and not suggest that its customers change their setups (that in most cases work fine with other wireless products). I realize this is a moving target with tech constantly changing but Sonos needs to solve this or risk become a failing public company.
Also experiencing this. Stops songs entirely, not even just pausing. Especially annoying in podcast. 0/10 to sonos on this issue which has been going on for a year. Was going to expand my setup but will find an alternative entirely. :@:@:@:@:@:@
Userlevel 1
UPDATE: Just checked back after 4 months, and see that this is a very common complaint here in the Sonos Community portal. Wow. I'm still having issues. I think Sonos is designed to work well with streaming services like Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, etc., – essentially any source it can get directly from the cloud – but it appears that the technology isn't resilient in anything other than the most basic home wi-fi and source scenarios. For example, I can stream Pandora and Amazon Music all day without issues on any of my Sonos speakers, but as soon as I try to play from my iTunes library, it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong. As much as I appreciate Sonos tech support being responsive, I think it should be obvious that if I have installed the Sonos app on my computer, it should include WHATEVER FEATURES NECESSARY to keep it connected to your own speaker system - THAT'S WHAT WE ARE PAYING A PREMIUM FOR. Sheesh. Architect a robust solution and deliver what you advertise, please.
I confess that I was hoping to find a resolution here. My system was rock solid until a couple of months ago when it started showing all the symptoms discussed here. Most of my Sonos boxes (and all the ones used frequently) are directly connected to the LAN. The music streams from a Synology NAS (I even tried moving the music to a new NAS, but that didn’t change anything). The controller runs on a Win7 system, no iOS involved. Mostly I use Connect boxes driving music systems chosen for the rooms they are in, but I also have a Play 5. When it is playing, I am very happy with the music, but I really hope someone finds the smoking gun.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I confess that I was hoping to find a resolution here. My system was rock solid until a couple of months ago when it started showing all the symptoms discussed here. Most of my Sonos boxes (and all the ones used frequently) are directly connected to the LAN. The music streams from a Synology NAS (I even tried moving the music to a new NAS, but that didn’t change anything). The controller runs on a Win7 system, no iOS involved. Mostly I use Connect boxes driving music systems chosen for the rooms they are in, but I also have a Play 5. When it is playing, I am very happy with the music, but I really hope someone finds the smoking gun.

Hi Napa Bob,

The issue with streaming from iOS devices wouldn't apply to music streamed from your NAS. There are some other potential causes though. Try the steps in this guide, which cover the most common causes. If that doesn't help, submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Thanks Jeff. The guide basically says that WiFi can have limited bandwidth. I agree. At the moment, I am listening to a Play 5 connected to the same Gigabit Ethernet switch as the NAS, so that shouldn't be an issue. I just stopped the music and ran the diagnostics: "Your confirmation number is: 719932955."
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff. The guide basically says that WiFi can have limited bandwidth. I agree. At the moment, I am listening to a Play 5 connected to the same Gigabit Ethernet switch as the NAS, so that shouldn't be an issue. I just stopped the music and ran the diagnostics: "Your confirmation number is: 719932955."

Thanks for the report. While most of your Sonos units are wired into the network, there are some wireless communication issues showing up. The Boost is having a hard time communicating with the Pizza and Grill units, in particular. Also, there appears to be a Sonos component that has lost its network address. This is probably a wireless unit, but may indicate a network conflict or other issue.

First, try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. This can help reduce interference from nearby networks that may be running on the same channel. You can also take a look around your Sonos components to see if there are any third party wireless electronics nearby which could cause interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, baby monitors and wireless printers.

If you can identify which speaker is not showing up in the app, try the steps found here to get it reconnected. And if these steps don't help, send along a new diagnostic report.
Some interesting ideas here. The ‘Grill’ and ‘Pizza’ observation is confusing as they are both Connect:Amps and both directly wired to the LAN. My LAN scanner shows they are live with IP addresses – could they also be trying to use your wireless communications??? They are near other wireless gear.

The disconnected unit (a Play 3, IIRC) happens to be in a room with no un-switched power, so comes on with the light switch, so that is not a mystery.

However, your comment about the boost rings a bell. Within the time I have been having trouble, I had installed one of your new fancy AMPs, but I had unplugged that to make sure it wasn’t the culprit. What I forgot was at the same time I had purchased and installed a new boost.

So I have now removed the new boost from the network (there is still one that has been there for a while). I also turned on the missing Play 3, so now my system should look like it did before, but with the addition of the AMP – which I reconnected and is directly wired to the LAN.

I just ran a new diagnostic to give you a benchmark ( Your confirmation number is: 286666353.), but I will now listen for a while to see if the problem is still happening.
Well, since this problem only happens after several hours, it is hard to quickly tell if I have fixed something. Here is what I have done so far.
- I removed the second Boost from the network. There is still a Boost and an older Bridge.
- I switched the Sonos Network to channel 6 and changed all of my APs so that they are all on either 1 or 11.
The problem (stopped playing a song and then after a little bit started the next song) happened after 2+ hours.
I guess the next step is to remove the Boost and Bridge completely to eliminate that as a cause. Then maybe turning off all but one Sonos box and turn them on one at a time as long as the problem go away?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Well, since this problem only happens after several hours, it is hard to quickly tell if I have fixed something. Here is what I have done so far.
- I removed the second Boost from the network. There is still a Boost and an older Bridge.
- I switched the Sonos Network to channel 6 and changed all of my APs so that they are all on either 1 or 11.
The problem (stopped playing a song and then after a little bit started the next song) happened after 2+ hours.
I guess the next step is to remove the Boost and Bridge completely to eliminate that as a cause. Then maybe turning off all but one Sonos box and turn them on one at a time as long as the problem go away?

It would help to see a diagnostic report immediately after this happens. We've addressed the general issues I saw in your previous report, so it's time to narrow the issue down.
I have not had a problem since I did the things mentioned above. In hindsight, I think my problem started when I added a 2nd Boost to the network. Although I did not realize it at the time, 2 of my WAPs were on channel 1, one on channel 6 and one on 11. My guess is that I put the new Boost near a WAP with a conflicting channel. Now that I have removed the channel conflict, I could probably put the 2nd Boost back in, but I no longer need it.

These threads stay around forever, so if you are reading this all for the first time, I recommend that you follow the links that Jeff provided for removing the radio channel conflicts.