Question

Sonos Speakers Randomly Turn On & Often At High Volume

• 21 January 2017
  • 37 replies

Badge
I have 3 Sonos Play: 3's and 5 Sonos Play: 1's in my system. My wife and I each control the system with our iPhones.

In the last two weeks the system randomly turns itself on during the day - and often at a pretty loud volume.

We have no alarms set (never used that feature) and we deleted the Sonos app from our other devices (couple of iPads.). At first it seemed to do it at random times in the late afternoon while I was home, but before my wife got home. Then it started doing it in the evening when she was hear - but always while someone was home.

Last night we came home and could literally hear the sound from the speakers while walking up to the front door. For the first time the system turned itself on while we we away from the house and was extremely loud. So loud in fact we found out dog hiding in a room without speakers.

This is totally unacceptable. The wife is ready to put the system on Craigslist and sell it.

At first I thought it might be because my neighbor has a Sonos controlled system (just the app and amp, not the speakers) and his wifi signal is strong in our house and we have connected to his Songs system when we've been at his house in the past. However, I'd call him when our's would turn on randomly and his was never on at that time.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Hi. What sources do you play from? Do you have a NAS drive? It may not be Sonos itself triggering the speakers to come on, but some other audio player.
Badge
The only way we play our Sonos is from iPads and iPhones streaming Amazon Prime music playlists. We deleted the Sonos app from the iPads to try and narrow down the issue. We do have iTunes accounts and may have streamed music from those accounts in the past, but I can't recall. Definitely since this started we've only been using Amazon Prime to stream music within the Sonos app.
The player has a log which would identify the origin (IP address, operating system, etc) of the Play command. Submit a diagnostic, post the number and Sonos Support can take a look.
Badge
The player has a log which would identify the origin (IP address, operating system, etc) of the Play command. Submit a diagnostic, post the number and Sonos Support can take a look.

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. Can you post a link to more info on exactly how you go about doing that? Thanks!
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostics

Either post the reference number back here, or call Sonos when support desk reopens as that might be quicker.
Badge
Okay, the system just now came back on on it's own - so loud in fact that our guests had to walk outside while I fired up the Sonos app to turn it off. This is totally unacceptable for the amount of money we paid for all these speakers.

I did the diagnostic and the reference number is 7022562.
Go into Sonos app and identify the IP address of one of your speakers. Let us imagine it is www.xxx.y.zz
In a web browser type
http://www.xxx.y.zz:1400/support/review
More explanation to follow
There hasn't been any mixing between yours and the neighbour's system has there? Exchange of units? A controller remaning registered to each other's system?
And sorry, I think data on what has been going on might be found at
http://www.xxx.yy.zzz:1400/status/perf for an affected speaker, substituting the speaker's IP address
This is a very rare occurrence. On the few occasions i have seen it arise, there has been an external or local cause, rather than a fault in Sonos itself. I don't know if this will prove to be an exception. We shall see.
Badge
There hasn't been any mixing between yours and the neighbour's system has there? Exchange of units? A controller remaning registered to each other's system?

No. None of my equipment was ever his or ever on his system. I have used my Sonos app to connect to his system to control it when we are all over there - but obviously his is on a different wifi.
Badge
Go into Sonos app and identify the IP address of one of your speakers. Let us imagine it is www.xxx.y.zz
In a web browser type
http://www.xxx.y.zz:1400/support/review
More explanation to follow

So, when I type it in, the web page never loads..... Am I doing it right? http://www.####.###.#.##:1400/support/review (I changed the numbers to # for privacy - just wondering if the format is correct?)
The "www" was meant to represent the first three digits of the IP address.
One further possibility we should eliminate. Which speakers are affected, and are they in a group? At the time they went off last night, was there a pet alone in any of the other grouped rooms? That probably isn't the explanation, but it would not be the first time a pet turned out to be responsible for triggering this sort of thing via the physical buttons on a speaker.
The one that is actually likely to help (forgive my initial error) is:
http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:1400/status/perf

replacing xxx.xxx.x.xx with your relevant IP address. The number of characters in the fourth part is not necessarily 2.
Here is a partial screenshot from my system, showing that playing on this speaker was initiated from the controller on my HTC phone.
And here is one showing that the last play was from a button press, the one before that was from my Windows desktop controller and before that my phone.
Badge
One further possibility we should eliminate. Which speakers are affected, and are they in a group? At the time they went off last night, was there a pet alone in any of the other grouped rooms? That probably isn't the explanation, but it would not be the first time a pet turned out to be responsible for triggering this sort of thing via the physical buttons on a speaker.

Only animal in the house is a 6lb long haired chihuahua. All 8 speakers are effected and all 8 are grouped together. Also, all 8 speakers are mounted up high. No way to be inadvertently powered on by hand.
Badge
Okay, I think I'm posting the right screen shot below. However, I have no idea what it means. I have not turned the system on since it last came on on it's own.
Thanks for info. If you haven't turned system on since last automatic play, i am puzzled as to why it appears to be playing now?

Is this all there is or have you cut off some info to hide IP addresses? If so that is totally unnecessary and makes it difficult to help. The IP addresses set by your router on your wifi network are of no security significance whatsoever.
Badge
Thanks for info. If you haven't turned system on since last automatic play, i am puzzled as to why it appears to be playing now?

Is this all there is or have you cut off some info to hide IP addresses? If so that is totally unnecessary and makes it difficult to help. The IP addresses set by your router on your wifi network are of no security significance whatsoever.

Nope. That's the whole box for that section. I launched Sonos on my iPhone just now to take a look at the status. It brought up a song and appears to be paused seconds into the song.
Badge
Here it is again, cropped larger.... (I literally just now went to that URL again and crabbed the most up-to-date info. Though it looks to be the same)
I must admit i am puzzled by the lack of info and the fact it says it is playing when it isn't. I'll group my speakers and see how that affects things, but i am running out of ideas.

I am tempted to suggest rebooting everything but i am afraid that might lose information.

You might consider changing your wifi password in case someone is connecting deliberately or accidentally to your network.
Actially, did you power down everything last night after the automatic start? If so that would explain why nothing there.
Badge
Actially, did you power down everything last night after the automatic start? If so that would explain why nothing there.

Not sure what you mean by "power down everything." All I did after the system came on by itself was to launch the Sonos app in my iPhone and hit 'pause' and the for quit the app on my iPhone.