Answered

Sonos Speakers playing but not showing in controller - Help!

• 29 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Not sure what is happening - all of a sudden my Sonos Players are playing but not showing up in the controller. We have 11 speakers thoughout our home - 6 of them are showing up in the controller, but 5 of them are not (but music plays through all of them when I select Party mode) - therefore volume and other controls are not available - also ability to start or stop those speakers is not available. I have tried rebooting the router and resetting the controller - have tried to add individual speakers back, but problem persists - does anyone have any suggestions that might point me in the right direction?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 April 2018, 02:53

Ugh. I have a potential solution, but it's going to take some time.

First thing, don't "re-add" the speakers, or "factory reset" them. Never a good idea, unless specifically suggested by someone from Sonos. Fortunately, you've got other speakers that are holding on to your data for you, since it's not stored in the controller app.

What I'm thinking you're running in to is an issue with duplicate IPs, often exposed when you update Sonos software, due to the soft reboot function.

My suspicion is that while rebooting the router is a good thing, you may not have unplugged all of your Sonos devices before doing it. So, when the router came back up, they tried reconnecting to the same IP address that they were connected to before rebooting.

There's 2 ways of dealing with this. The first is to unplug from power all your Sonos devices. Then reboot your router. Go to the first Sonos device, and plug it back in to the power. If you have one (or more) of your Sonos devices connected to the router, do that one (and only one) first. If you don't have one connected to your router with ethernet, no worries, just plug in the one that's physically closest to the router. Give the device (I don't say speaker, because you might have a BOOST or BRIDGE) a minute to boot up, and then move on to the next one. Complete that process for all of them, allowing each one to fully boot up before moving to the next.

But that's a short term fix, potentially. i.e it could happen again. If you prefer, go in to your router's set up and assign reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices (and while you're at it, do pretty much everything else). This usually requires a review of the router's manual, each company seems to do this process slightly differently. That should be a much more permanent fix, and this duplicate IP address issue shouldn't occur again.

Hope this helps.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Ugh. I have a potential solution, but it's going to take some time.

First thing, don't "re-add" the speakers, or "factory reset" them. Never a good idea, unless specifically suggested by someone from Sonos. Fortunately, you've got other speakers that are holding on to your data for you, since it's not stored in the controller app.

What I'm thinking you're running in to is an issue with duplicate IPs, often exposed when you update Sonos software, due to the soft reboot function.

My suspicion is that while rebooting the router is a good thing, you may not have unplugged all of your Sonos devices before doing it. So, when the router came back up, they tried reconnecting to the same IP address that they were connected to before rebooting.

There's 2 ways of dealing with this. The first is to unplug from power all your Sonos devices. Then reboot your router. Go to the first Sonos device, and plug it back in to the power. If you have one (or more) of your Sonos devices connected to the router, do that one (and only one) first. If you don't have one connected to your router with ethernet, no worries, just plug in the one that's physically closest to the router. Give the device (I don't say speaker, because you might have a BOOST or BRIDGE) a minute to boot up, and then move on to the next one. Complete that process for all of them, allowing each one to fully boot up before moving to the next.

But that's a short term fix, potentially. i.e it could happen again. If you prefer, go in to your router's set up and assign reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices (and while you're at it, do pretty much everything else). This usually requires a review of the router's manual, each company seems to do this process slightly differently. That should be a much more permanent fix, and this duplicate IP address issue shouldn't occur again.

Hope this helps.
mijn sonos werkt niet meer op mijn pc, wanneer ik een update wil installeren zegt het systeem dat de controler ontbreekt,wanneer ik de controler wil instaleren zegt het systeem dat deze instalatie al bezig is en dit kan ik nergens terug vinden
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Jef dirix 1. We have a Dutch community, if this suits you better. I would suggest opening a new thread there, so troubleshooting can continue. Many thanks.