Sonos speakers dropping out, songs skipping, slow iOS app, response low,

Badge

Hi,

Almost giving up on sonos - but when moving to a new place I have decided to give it a new try.

I have a system with a total of 10 speakers in in different rooms, but sadly the system now feels close to useless as i cannot trust it to work, and it feels more convinient for me to listen to radio, music and podcast on headphones rather than than the system constantly dropping out, skipping songs etc.

I have even bought a boost to see if that could help - sadly. No luck.
Could anyone have a look into my diagnosis and see if there is anything i can do?

I soo much miss the time when the system actually worked .. now its close to useless.

My diagnosis number is: 648281180.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

To get your diagnostic report checked you are usually best to contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

However if you would like other users in the community here to try to assist, you would need to describe your System setup and network devices in some detail, including the Router/SonosNet channels in use etc.

Badge

To get your diagnostic report checked you are usually best to contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

However if you would like other users in the community here to try to assist, you would need to describe your System setup and network devices in some detail, including the Router/SonosNet channels in use etc.

Thanks,
Due to it not being any possibility to write directly to Sonos i took the chance of posting here :)

Here are some pointers regarding my system.

I live in a 2 floor apartment system, where i have set up a TP-link deco X60 mesh system, which works flawless on my other units.

The network setup is like this:

Modem (bridge mode) → TP link X60 main point → switch → boost.

Attached is some screenshots from the app:

Does this ring a bell for anyone on how to get this thing to work ? :)

To get screenshots from the app is a challenge alone, due to the app responding so slow - but here is some screenshots describing the system.

Yes, wiring the Boost to the main WiFi mesh hub or a switch off that Hub is fine - is the switch managed or unmanaged? - have you tried a different SonosNet channel in the Sonos App Network settings. Also ensure the Boost is at least one metre away from your Wireless Hub/Devices.

You may also find this thread useful and worth a read…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

Badge

Hi, Thank you for your reply!

Yeah, I have quite a lot of the different solutions.
The switch is unmanaged.

Both swithing the sonosnet channels and adding more space beetwhen the boost and other wifi-devices. Sadly, the system keeps on being as unstable as “normal”.

What is your Sonos matrix graphic showing?

In web browser goto http://<IPaddress-of-any-speaker>:1400/support/review and select matrix.

Badge

What is your Sonos matrix graphic showing?

In web browser goto http://<IPaddress-of-any-speaker>:1400/support/review and select matrix.

I’m sure you can see that there is clearly a lot of interference surrounding your ‘gang oppe’ (Play:3) and ‘Boost’ devices - perhaps see what is close-by to those, which might be causing them an issue.

Connection between each of the devices themselves however looks okay to me. Are you sure the Boost is well away from the router, or other wireless, smart-home or perhaps Bluetooth products  etc?

Badge

Hi again and thank you for looking into it for me!
There are some other products in the same room, but i wouid not say that they are exactly close.

However, I can try to move stuff around a little see if that helps.
So, basicly - A red cell indicates interference?

Also,

I see that the play 1 og and play 3 from time to time have a static yellow light, can this be releated?

In descending order, Red shows interference followed by Amber, then yellow and Green is very good… All the connections between devices are Green so that’s really good, but there appears to be interference around the two devices mentioned - maybe changing your SonosNet channel might help in this situation, but leave the system for at least 20-30 minutes for any change to take place and allow the devices to switch and settle, before rechecking the matrix.

Badge

Hi,

Thank you for all you insight - very helpful.

I have now done some adjustment and it now looks like this:

Updated matrix

A couple of things that is really anoying still:

• For some reason my speakers keep going back to their old names (!) really confusing and I do not understand why this happens. Any theory?
  • When i try to play sound from my tv → playbar and group it with other speakers it’s almost constantly small stops and glitches in the others speakers …

There is always something!

A couple of things that is really anoying still:

• For some reason my speakers keep going back to their old names (!) really confusing and I do not understand why this happens. Any theory?
  • When i try to play sound from my tv → playbar and group it with other speakers it’s almost constantly small stops and glitches in the others speakers …

There is always something!

I assume you’re using Apple iOS devices - to stop your speakers renaming back to their old names, instead of renaming them in your Sonos App, try renaming them in your iOS Home (HomeKit) App instead - the Apple App likes to take precedence/control and if you change a speakers name in that App it will change in the Sonos App too and the name should then ‘stick’.

To stop the audio glitches with your TV audio sent to grouped rooms - goto ‘Settings/System/[Playbar room]/Group Audio Delay’ and increase the audio buffer size to either ‘medium’, ‘high’ or ‘max’ until you find a buffer size that stops those audio problems.

Badge

Thank you for your swift reply!

Apple IOS devices is use, indeed.
I could not find my speakers in the Homekit-app - however i found a “home” from long time ago, so tried to wipe the whole home. Hoping that could fix the issue.

For me the whole thing is really mysterious.
Because the report given by the matrix seem to very from hour to hour - even without moving any of the devices?

Even newer ...

Yes, I can close two inner-doors in our Home (kitchen & dining room), or simply switch on the kitchen microwave to see a slightly different chart - it’s those devices that are constantly displaying red to perhaps concentrate on, but the matrix is not the answer to all - perhaps see it more as a pointer where to focus your attention… a large vase of water/flowers can be an issue, baby monitors, other Bluetooth products etc; to mention but a few.

Badge

Hi,

Thank you for your effort in helping me on this.

I tried to move the sonos boost to another - actually more central location of the house - however, after this - the system was not able to locate two of the speakers … :face_palm_tone2:

I’m just so sad over experiencing this.
After my first years with sonos it was that it a feeling of it “just works”.
However, now it’s more frustrating than than enjoyable.
And it’s been like this both in different apartments, tried purchasing different routers, even bought a boost - which from fram i read almost was to expect as a miracle unit. No difference at all.

Speakers come and go, dropouts, when grouping of speakers, it's taking up to 30 seconds (and when done, not all speakers are included).
If the speakers follow what you are trying to controll them to feels like bingo, and now im sceptic to use the speakers in the evenings due to I would not know i suddenly a speaker somewhere in the house would suddenly “wake up” and I would be able to quickly turn the sound down. Speakers apparently be playing music according to the app, but no sound at all. 

Also, the term “wireless” feels like just a dream due to it being so limited where the speakers can be placed.

Bah, sorry for pouring my heart of on this, but it’s just so frustrating.

and now one speakers is gone. And one “playing” - without sound at all

If you change things (Wifi channels or move devices etc,) then you need to give the devices a time to settle - I tend to leave things for 20-30 minutes and what I prefer to do is power off all and bring the Sonos products back online starting with the wired (Boost) device - then the next nearest speaker and the next, and so on and so forth, but I let each one settle/connect before moving onto the next device and then I leave them for half hour and then see how they perform. 

I have often used my devices on SonosNet channel 11, with my router set to channel 1 (with a channel width set to 20MHz only) and that has worked well for me - also please don’t forget if you change your SonosNet channel, to ensure that your router’s 2.4 GHz WiFi is always set 5 channels away (at least) and I would also stick to using non-overlapping WiFi channels (1, 6, or 11) for your router too.

Badge

Thank you for you insight on this.

Im just amazed that the report can give me set a device as green in one minute, and it all turn red 15 minutes later, without any change done at all.

From instance the “gjesterom”-speaker is reported as all green, but impossible to get it to play anything. Sometime the app is telling me that it is playing something, which it obvioulsy is not.

Almost wondering if the apartment is cursed or something.

That being said, can it be that it would be better for me to actually not use the boost, and just go with the mesh network instead?

I would have thought you would have been better off using the Boost, personally speaking.

Can you perhaps check you do not have your WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ - if the local WiFi SSID is listed, then select to remove it from all your devices, as that might help to improve things. Note however the network SSID should not  be removed if you have any portable Sonos products - Roam or Move.

@kalleballe,

Looking back through the thread here, I now see you have a Sonos Roam  - perhaps set that to use your 5Ghz WiFi band only and (if present) remove the 2.4Ghz WiFi credentials from the Sonos App network settings. Just leave the 5Ghz band only stored on your Sonos products for use by the Roam. See if that helps to sort the issue.

Badge
  • So …

i have tried.

2 apartments (!)
    3 different routers
    3 different mesh systems
    Wired connection
    Wifi
    Sonos Boost
    SonosNet

Still, the system is constantly dropping out, speakers disappearing, skipping music, speakers renaming themself (No, not in present in homekit).

I bet this system is cursed or something?
    Do I need to call a priest?

Is it possible to remove all speakers in the system, and start all over?

I don’t understand why it worked flawlessly before on 4 speakers on the s1 app (play1 x2, play 5 1st gen + playbar).

When I added the symfonisk speakers it all went down the drain…

Badge

The system is still unstable,

But what could be the reason for it constantly renaming the speakers, when the speakers are removed from the apple home-app ? @Ken_Griffiths 

Note, any WiFi network isn’t without impact from outside. It’s simple radio energy, which means other electronics in the home, other WiFi signals near it, even sunspots can impact the signals. Environments for radio signals are constantly changing. And likely more so in an apartment, due to the proximity of neighbors running their own electronics and WiFi networks. 

The system is still unstable,

But what could be the reason for it constantly renaming the speakers, when the speakers are removed from the apple home-app ? @Ken_Griffiths 

Perhaps try a quick reset, just on the one or two devices that are renaming themselves … do them one at a time and add each one back to the existing system before moving onto the next device, that should hopefully stop the renaming issue.