sonos speaker randomly turns on

• 5 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I have google the reason for this a few times. My outdoor speaker randomly turns on at night and rather loudly. I never really found a reason until tonight…… I had a look at my surveillance camera right beside it and found that a gecko 

had been running all over the top of it! I tested it out and the softest of motion across the top of the speaker turns it on. Tomorrow we will try flipping the speaker upside down and see if that stops it from happening. This may be the answer to others who have had this experience! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

lol, that made me laugh.  :joy:   You also have the option to turn off the touch controls in the Sonos App>Settings>System>[your device]>touch controls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is the best “my speaker turns on in the night” reason EVER!

:joy: great story

I’d imagine the slight heat generated by the speaker is most enticing at night. 

Badge +17

I’ve heard of cats, kids, large insects and birds turning speakers on before, but this is the first gecko 🦎 :joy:

Thanks for sharing! :laughing:

Userlevel 1

lol, that made me laugh.  :joy:   You also have the option to turn off the touch controls in the Sonos App>Settings>System>[your device]>touch controls.

Oh that’s a great tip thank you, I will do that. I’ve already turned the max volume down but that is a much better solution. It is very embarrassing when my speaker starts blasting The Gypsy Kings - Bambeleo out at midnight on full volume across the neighborhood! 

Maybe a playlist of cats or dogs would discourage the prowler.