Question

Sonos sourround 5.1 not working anymore

• 13 August 2019
  • 2 replies

Devices:
Sonos Playbar (connected to TV via Optical)
2x Sonos Play:1

Suddenly our Sonos system got quiet when watching videos with 5.1 Surround. We have to turn off 5.1 everytime, in the Netflix/HBO app, when we are watching Netflix, HBO or any other streaming service.

Our Internet speed is 100 mps.
I've reinstalled the surround system
Ive plugged and unplugged all cords
I'm on the latest Sonos controller app update

I have searched for answers online but haven't found any so now I'm asking you. How to I resolve this issue with disappeared 5.1 surround sound.

I really appreciate your help!!
Thank you!!

2 replies

So, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're experiencing something that happened to me several years ago. The TV manufacturer sent out a firmware update that reset my audio settings. They've sent out dozens since then that haven't done so, so I'm guessing it was a one time mistake.

In your case, I'd go in to the TV's audio settings and double check that everything is set to Dolby DIgital, and not anything else. I'd also check the devices that you use to feed the TV, such as the cable box, the DVD player, pretty much everything that connects to the TV with an HDMI cable. They all have audio settings that need to be checked.

When you unplugged the cable that feeds the PLAYBAR, did you happen to check to see if there was a red light coming out of it? It's also a possibility that the TV's optical port has failed, although I'd give that an extremely low chance of happening. But it's possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The op says they have to "turn off 5.1 every time", whatever that means, but it does imply a functional optical cable.