Question

Sonos Soundbar drops out when in speaker group

• 2 September 2019
  • 3 replies

I play to my Sonos One using AirPlay from my iPhone. I group 2-3 speakers throughout the house to the Sonos One. The SoundBar keeps dropping out for 5-10 seconds at a time, but the other Sonos
speakers keep playing. The soundbar doesn’t dropout when using it as the TV speaker. I sent diagnostic report #1818756876. Can you see what is happening?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Note that AjTrek1 is not a Sonos employee, and wouldn’t have access to the diagnostic. Hopefully, a forum moderator will have time to look at it soon, but if you want to shortcut that wait, you could contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

I finally had a chance to do what you recommended.  

1). Cordless phones have their batteries removed and bases unplugged.

2). No baby monitors or security cameras other than a few Ring cameras that have all been unplugged.

3). I did everything under option one, but only plugged in my Sonos One and Playbar.   I also connected my iPhone since I need that for the configuration I am having problems with.  There were only three things connected to my router.  Two Sonos and my iPhone.  I’m not streaming movies or anything.  Just some light website browsing.

4). I began playing my podcast to my Sonos One via Airplay.  Then I grouped the Playbar with the Sonos One and within about 15 minutes I had an audio dropout on the Playbar. The SonosOne kept playing

5). I created a diagnostic file within a minute of the incidence.  The diagnostic confirmation number is:  #492632359.

6). Since I submitted the initial question I’ve been grouping more Sonos speakers in the same configuration as above and found that the Soundbar drops the most often, but other Sonos speakers drop at the same time as the Soundbar.      

This next diagnostic is a case where I had most of my Sonos system powered up, and one or more of the Sonos speakers dropped (it’s hard to tell unless I can run from room to room fast enough) with nothing on the network except the Sonos system and my iPhone which was playing an audio file directly from my phone— i.e. not streaming from the internet - using airplay to my SonosOne speaker , with the other speakers grouped.  #420942007

The odd thing is that the audio never drops on any speaker if I am playing from any of the Sonos services like PocketCasts, Spotify, Pandora or Apple Music or any other music services, only when I Airplay to my SonosOne speaker and then group the others.  

It’s really unusable the way I am trying to use it because of the frequent dropouts.  I purchased the SonosOne specifically so I could do this, so I’m pretty disappointed.

I have a Boost which isn’t hooked up.  I’ve tried it, but it didn’t seem to help.   

I would appreciate it if you could look at the diagnostics and let me know if you see anything that I can charge to make it work better.   

Let me know if there are any other configurations I can test.  

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Hi ladidah

It sounds like you have wi-fi interference and/or the Player is struggling to keep up when grouped with the Sonos One. You have three options versus waiting for a report from Sonos on the diagnostic (which is a good idea):

Option 1:
  1. Remove any baby monitors, cordless phones, security cameras and/or base stations at least 6 feet from your router.
  2. Ungroup All Sonos
  3. Unplug All Sonos
  4. Unplug All other wired and wireless products to your router
  5. Check router admin page for updates
  6. Reboot your router
  7. Plug in Sonos 1 x 1 start with Playbar and speakers bonded to it
  8. Plug in other Sonos 1x1
  9. Plug in other wired and wireless products 1x1
  10. Test your Sonos
Option 2
  1. Remove any baby monitors, cordless phones, security cameras and/or base stations at least 6 feet from your router.
  2. Wire the Playbar to router
  3. Reboot your router
  4. Let All Sonos come back
  5. Test your Sonos
Option 3
  1. Do All in option 1
  2. Wire the Playbar to router
Note: If you perform any of the above steps with no success you will have to resubmit another diagnostic within 10 minutes of the next occurrence. Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!