Sonos SMB implementation (Error 900 when adding music library)

• 25 February 2017
  • 74 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi! Not sure whether this is a question or a conversation starter...

I got error 900 trying to add the music library on my Synology NAS to my Sonos system. It had been working flawlessly in the past, so I suspected it had to do with a recent update I'd made to the DSM operating system on the Syno. Now running DSM 6.1, for the record.
I then found that I'd tampered with the Windows file service after installation and set the SMB service to only allow clients supporting SMB2 and up. That's what caused the issue! Setting the SMB service on the Syno back to SMB 1 and up solved it.

Which leads me to ask: will Sonos consider updating their samba support to a more recent version? With time, surely new network devices will rely on the more recent versions of samba..?

74 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've had this question as well, though not voiced it... Windows is making it increasingly hard to use SMBv1, especially with SMBv3 out now.

Also, SMBv1 likely has an unreported vulnerability that is actively being exploited, and as of last month the US-CERT is highly recommending that people stop using SMBv1, and make sure that firewalls are definitely blocking the SMB ports to prevent access from malicious hosts outside of the network (many consumer and small business ISPs already do this; enterprise providers may not though).

Not sure if Sonos supports SMBv2 or not, but if it doesn't, it may be time to get there.
Userlevel 2
Badge
It would seem smb2 is currently a no-go based on my experimentation with the Synology unit. Can we expect someone at Sonos to shed some light on the subject here at the forum?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
It would seem smb2 is currently a no-go based on my experimentation with the Synology unit. Can we expect someone at Sonos to shed some light on the subject here at the forum?

Hey oafrenning - We have nothing to share today about implementing SMB2, but we're always looking for ways to improve the Sonos experience and operability. We'll make sure to share the suggestion with the rest of the team.

Hey oafrenning - We have nothing to share today about implementing SMB2, but we're always looking for ways to improve the Sonos experience and operability. We'll make sure to share the suggestion with the rest of the team.

@Andy B...Any update on when you might fix this now that everyone has stopped using SMB v1?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Andy B...Any update on when you might fix this now that everyone has stopped using SMB v1?

Hi th3bigguy - I don't have an update to provide at this time on when we'll be moving away from using SMBv1 for music library sharing. Our customers concerns around the vulnerability of SMBv1 have not gone unheard and we are exploring alternate options. When I do have a bit more to share, I'll come back and update this thread.
Wasted ages on investigating this problem at home. I can not believe that SMB2 is not supported - changed to :
min protocol = NT1
This works.
Still... unbelievable that even SMB2 is not supported.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I hear there is a Plex workaround, but started down that path and then realized that this could very well open up more issues.

I put a copy of my music collection on a wireless AP (Apple Airport Extreme in this case) via a 2.5" bus-powered USB hard drive. Hence, my Sonos ZPs can still access the collection while any SMB1-related compromises will only result in the loss of a copy of the music collection. It's clunky, it requires more duplication steps, adds power consumption, etc. but it also isolates a likely exploit from my 'real' server.

I would not dumb down server security if it stores anything important to you. In my very limited experience, server security settings cannot be selectively dumbed down on a share by share basis. Thus, the whole server is put at risk, not just the music share, because enabling SMB1 / NTLM v1 authentication is global setting. Current server software from the likes of Microsoft, FreeNAS, Synology, QNAP, etc. has SMB1 support turned off by default for a reason.

Sonos has allegedly been asked about a SMB upgrade for years. Wannacry just made the issue that much more real for a subset of customers. Hopefully, Sonos will integrate one of the multiple known SMB2+ libraries for Linux into a upcoming ZP software update.
Userlevel 3
Badge
As I have mentioned before, as the co-creator of Samba and a SONOS user I would be very happy to help SONOS integrate Samba SMB2 support into their product. All they have.to do is reach out to the Samba Team (several of whom are SONOS users) and we would be happy to help.
Same problem here.
After a recent Samba update on my Rockstor NAS (CentOS), my Sonos can't connect to my music library anymore :(

I have been a very great fan of Sonos for years but this really annoys me!
Userlevel 1
The missing implementation of SMBv2 just gave me some headache when trying to connect my SONOS setup to the new NAS. I pushed this discussion to twitter. Maybe this helps to get a higher priority.

https://twitter.com/naml1t/status/935990595369230336
Userlevel 1
Badge
It is really ridiculous that Sonos is still using SMB(v1). It is a vulnerability and when (not if) this leads to a hack, then this thread is going to be a nice exhibit in corporate laxity towards security. I'm sure the lawyers are going to have a field day with you guys.
Bought a Play1 yesterday. Have my complete music collection digitally stored on my Synology's.
Did not expect that Sonos only works with SMBv1? Ridiculous, this is the most vulnarable protocol and one of the reasons for the massive troubles with wannacry.
I refuse to set my SMB back to V1.

What are the options?
Bring back my Play1 and buy HEOS?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Get another NAS device dedicated to Sonos and allowing SMB v1, never trust it with any other data. I use a Raspberry PI, some use WD Live/Cloud drives, many possibilities that work today instead of waiting for Sonos to fix the problem or dialing back your security on your main NAS.
Never, that is the weakest link in your network. If it gets infected, all your files could be infected.
Why do you think everyone is blocking SMBv1?

You don't want that.

I found the beta for plex, it works, but I do not understand why Sonos won't implement Smbv3

I have no SMBv1 in my network, everything uses v3
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Never, that is the weakest link in your network. If it gets infected, all your files could be infected.

Only the files on the SMB v1 NAS are at risk, the files on your SMB v3 NAS would not be.

There is no reason to share the SMB v1 with any other device on your LAN or give it access to anything there.

If my SMB v1 files get infected it is no big deal, I can recopy them from the master copies on my SMB v3 NAS in a few minutes.

If you are really worried put your SMB v1 NAS and Sonos stuff on a dedicated LAN segment, real or virtual.

It would be nice if the issue went away but it is easy enough to work around or it can be ignored at the user's option. They are your only two options since the huge number of posts on this subject have had no impact on Sonos so far.
There are different kinds of make music errors which different people find at the different situation. I think most of the people don't have the proper idea about these kinds of errors and their solution as well. Now Google is the best search Engine to find out the solution. You may get a big list of music errors with solution from https://procpedia.com/makemusic-errors
Userlevel 1
Same concern on this side. Exclusive support for SMB1 is purely unacceptable. The security risk completely negates any potential benefit of this Sonos feature. Sonos, please support & correct this disappointing short fall.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This is so disappointing... I'm facing this problem and can't believe that someone at SONOS is totally ignoring us loyal users on this situation!

And what about this? On september 24, 2017, on this very same thread (see answer nr. #8) there was this reply from "Jeremy Allison" co-creator of Samba and a SONOS user, stating that HELP IS AVAILABLE for the SONOS team to update the system as soon as they want... But still... NO ANSWER...??? NO SOLUTION??? :? :@

Look here:
(https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-smb-implementation-error-900-when-adding-music-library-6765736/index1.html#post16146941)
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Oh, dont criticize Sonos on this - the rabid apologists will come on and tell you to buy a raspberry Pi or that SMB 1 isnt all that bad or any number of excuses to avoid facing the fact that local file share access doesnt add revenue like adding one more streaming service does.

(Not a hater - have 7 players and about to buy another Connect, just upset at the apparent apathy on this issue from Sonos development.)
Userlevel 1
I'm firmly with everyone that says this is unacceptable, if there was a way to get a refund on all the Sonos kit I already have, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd love to expand on the stuff I've already got having already invested over £2000 on Sonos kit, but can't justify when I can no longer access the audio share on my Windows 2012 DC.
I did start to use OneDrive / Groove (as I pay for my families Office 365 subscription), but that's also now stopped working on Sonos - seems no matter what I do, Sonos want to force me to do something else.
Have the Problem too - really ... still no answer. I am refusing to change to SMB 1 and that means i can't access my Music (the very reason i bought sonos) ... disappointing!
I found a work around. Google Play Music. It allows you to upload up to 55k songs (stored for free), and then you have Sonos access the songs via Google Play. Google's upload process for huge amounts of music could be improved, it doesn't like you trying to upload songs from across the network, so I ended up copying my music collection to my desktop, then uploading to Google from there.
Userlevel 2
This post is over 1 year old.
To this day, there have been 2726 views.

It's now my turn to be stuck: my Sonos cannot/will not connect to my Synolgy NAS to read my music. I'm also getting this Error 900 message.

And it seems that Sonos have done nothing to:
- communicate here or elsewhere about this major* issue
- fix this situation where hundreds (thousands?) of paying customers cannot use their equipment anymore.

*major as it's about security AND the service that customers have paid for and they're not getting it.

You're getting all excited like a 8y old and his ice-cream about your IPO (https://twitter.com/hashtag/sonosipo?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=hash) but when challenged about such a major problem with your core product you're playing deaf on social media and playing deaf on your own forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This post is over 1 year old.
To this day, there have been 2726 views.

It's now my turn to be stuck: my Sonos cannot/will not connect to my Synolgy NAS to read my music. I'm also getting this Error 900 message.

And it seems that Sonos have done nothing to:
- communicate here or elsewhere about this major* issue
- fix this situation where hundreds (thousands?) of paying customers cannot use their equipment anymore.

*major as it's about security AND the service that customers have paid for and they're not getting it.

You're getting all excited like a 8y old and his ice-cream about your IPO (https://twitter.com/hashtag/sonosipo?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=hash) but when challenged about such a major problem with your core product you're playing deaf on social media and playing deaf on your own forum.

Hi Arnz,

I've edited your post to remove the profanity. Please review our user guidelines, found here.

Do you have SMB enabled on your NAS drive? If not, that's likely the reason you are getting this error. We've implemented a new indexing system for computer shares, however NAS drives still need SMB enabled.

If SMB is enabled on your drive, the error 900 is likely a generic timeout message, meaning that something took too long. To determine what, I'd like to see a diagnostic report from your system. Please reproduce the error, and then submit a diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 2
Hi Jeff, thanks for your answer.

Let's see how we get me and possibly hundreds (1000s?) of other paying customers out of this mess.

Just one thing first, profanity as you call it is part of every language for a reason: it is there to express emotions and feelings that other words cannot (anymore) convey. One should not try to suppress expressions of other people's feelings, I don't think that anyone should be willing to go that way ...and anyway don't you have some law against that? ;)
Also, it is there to make things move it seems as you're finally here ;)

Now, let's get to it.
Yes SMB is and has always been enabled on my NAS. That's the thing you see, I haven't changed A THING in my set-up apart from running Sonos and Synology updates.
So if a SONOS update has, as you clearly state*, made a change to the way it communicates with the NAS, then the least you could have done was:
* to inform all users
* do some thorough testing before release
* offer an easy and accessible way for customers to understand and possibly solve the problem by themselves first
* THEN be ultra wary of potential issues and stay on stand-by on SM and forum for helping out customers as early as possible.
...and NOT ignore it and pretend it's not happening until some of us are pushed to call-out Patrick Spence personally or lose it and get angry here until some staff deem to answer.

* "...we've implemented a new indexing system for computer shares"

My Diagnostic report # is: 909498734

thanks
A