Answered

SONOS skips or stops when playing music from iPhone

• 22 September 2018
  • 50 replies

We have a SONSO Play 3 and an iPhone 6 and a 6s. When playing music that is stored 'On this iPhone' the tracks skip half way through or playback stops altogether. The problem does not occur when playing from a different source, e.g. a streaming service or radio station. Playing music from the desktop app also works fine. SONOS firmware has been updated several times since this issue began. Similarly, iOS running on our phones has been updated several times too. Our router has also been replaced (it is a Vodafone Ultra Hub Gateway). I have assigned a static IP address for the SONOS and to our phones, but to no avail. The issue happens when playing from both phones. I have even tried keeping the phones and screens awake, but it still happens. I have read through many similar issues posted and tried various fixes but nothing works. Other that this, we have no intermittent issues with the WiFi. It is concerning that a large number of others appear to have this issue, but there doesn't seem to be any solution. This is completely preventing us using the sonos. Please advise.
icon

Best answer by paulrw 11 June 2019, 17:24

Looks like the solution is to remove this feature altogther, and use Airplay2

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

. Any peition etc that we can participate in to get them to reconsider?No, a pointless exercise. The decision was made due to changes Apple have made as i assume they are pushing to move everyone to Airplay 2.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, the SoundBar I just bought does not support AirPlay 2 ... And in my experience airplay never works that smoothly anyway. Dropped connections, authorization codes etc. Playing directly from the Sonos app was a huge drawcard, and something I admired in friends' systems. Guess I'll be taking the SoundBar back to Costco... Or looking into a free google music account... Disappointing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
. Any peition etc that we can participate in to get them to reconsider?

No, a pointless exercise. The decision was made due to changes Apple have made as i assume they are pushing to move everyone to Airplay 2.
I see Sonos is now saying they plan to discontinue this aspect of their app and users should use Airplay 2 ... which I'm not keen to use. I'm new to Sonos and this was one of the main draw-cards. Any peition etc that we can participate in to get them to reconsider?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Looks like the solution is to remove this feature altogther, and use Airplay2
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
Since it was Apple that made the change, shouldn't you be suing them?
I have a solution. I have recently purchased 5 connect amps and a Sonos one representing about $3000 of worthless junk. There are probably enough dissatisfied customers to create a group and take on the company with a class action lawsuit, that should get their attention. They’re a public company now, nothing will kill their stock price like a lawsuit.
As of the latest update (10.2.1) I'm experiencing this issue also. Looking back, It's been years. It's so convenient to just stream music from my phone (my most up to date library) but this issue ruins the experience. Turning off other devices gets old fast! Come on Sonos, fix this please!
Good luck on trying to get Apple to work on this. I had another issue with them last fall when one of their updates broke functionality on part of my website, built on TTG Backlight Software. Their change impacted everyone who built their website using this particular software. Despite talking direct to several Apple tech reps, 2 tech managers, and a programming engineer over several weeks, and providing them with the specific change they had made in IOS, their conclusion was that if it was not an Apple software that was broken, it was not up to them to make adjustments to resolve it. This was all over a simple switch they defaulted to the on position in an experimental part of their IOS system that actually had no immediate function but they wanted it for future application. I ended up rebuilding part of my website to work around their switch.

My issue with SONOS is that we, as users, have been put on hold for months waiting for this hypothetical solution that will likely never show up. If they had been up front on this months ago I would have tried to find a buyer for all of my speakers, switched to another product, saved myself a lot of frustration and anger, and be happily listening to my music library. Now, nearly 6 months later, after countless updates to the system and app, all we get is a disclaimer box on the SONOS website. Even a notice from the tech team to all of us following this community topic would have been a common courtesy. I’m sorry, but I am not willing to let the SONOS tech team off so easily.
You'll need to direct that request to Apple, they're the one who made the change that broke Sonos' ability to stream from the iOS devices.

We're all hoping that Sonos can convince Apple to revert that change, but given the length of time it's been an issue, I suspect Apple doesn't care, and I hope Sonos is trying to figure some alternate method out.
I've been a user of Sonos for numerous years, recommended your system to many friends and have purchased additional speakers over the years. However, with this latest glitch (Cannot play music off my iPhone's playlist) I must say that I can no longer recommend Sonos. I find this a real shame as it was a decent system. The latest update a few days ago still does not address the capability for playing music from your iPhone playlist. Please fix this or allow us to go back to previous updates.
iOS issue. Pay particular attention to the information in the box at the top..

Nice disclaimer to protect against new purchasers of the system but I've tried all the “fixes” and it still cuts out. And I see once again we just had another app update with zero fix to this problem. Stop sending me all of the so called improvements to the Sonos Experience until you make the system actually do one simple thing - play a downloaded song or podcast or whatever all the way through! This used to be a wonderful technology but over the last year it has turned into one of the most frustrating and money wasting boondoggles I’ve ever dealt with. Unfortunately I have too much invested in Apple products to switch, and even though my Sonos has turned into dust collectors on the shelves throughout the house, I’m too invested to buy another system now. FIX IT!
Good Morning. Wondering if there was any progress on this matter? Also, anyway to go back to a previous version of the APP? Thanks in advance.
iOS issue. Pay particular attention to the information in the box at the top.
Userlevel 2
Same problem for me. Song stops mid-track. Can play the same songs on the same iPhone through Bluetooth to the (better sounding) stereo sitting next to it too without issue. Very frustrated. All the convenience, size, tech benefits of the Sonos over my old school stereo basically useless points if the damn thing won't work.
Exactly the same problem as you guys.
Can play music from Spotify and tunein radio flawlessly, but as soon as I try to play music stored on my iPhone...... cuts out, skips tracks. Very annoying to say the least. Was going to grab a couple of play 1’s for the kitchen but won’t until they fix this major problem.
Not a happy camper I’m afraid :@:@:@
Same problem! As much as we spend on these products they should fix this issue. It's ridiculous! Why don't they realize in this day and age, people are going to google products and they'll see posts like this and be leary? Come on Sonos Tech support, fix it!
I am having the same issue STILL. I've waited patiently for SONOS to correct the problem. Playing music "On this iPhone" worked perfectly until the last update. What's going on and what is the plan to remedy it? SONOS owes an update to its customers. Please! Thanks.
Badge
Does this happen when playing music from streaming services such as Spotify or Apple Music ?

If it's the same issue that Jeff mentioned, no it doesn't. That issue specifically is for tracks stored on iOS devices, playing to Sonos using the option "On This iPhone" in the Sonos app. The cutouts are caused when the phone's screen is turned off, and the Sonos app loses priority to continue streaming. As Jeff suggested, turning off Airplay on your other devices, or disabling auto lock on the phone would prevent this issue from coming up.

The best option is to play music from another source, including using AirPlay2 with Sonos from that phone if you don't want to use a music service or store the music on another device on the network. The Sonos One, Beam, Amp, Playbase, Play:5 gen2 and Beam are all AirPlay2 compatible.

Thanks Ryan, the point I'm trying to make is that the system was working perfectly before. Whether songs where being streamed directly from an iPhone or not, it simply worked regardless of the lock mode. The client has downloaded all the music he likes on his iPhone because that way he is able to play his favourite tracks while driving and in his office. Suggesting workarounds to important clients and saying "Sonos knows about these problems and they're working on it" puts us in an awkward and embarrassing situation; especially when months go by and there is no credible progress. I can't help feeling a bit angry with Sonos because we have spent significant time, effort and resources in order to convince clients to invest in Sonos, our reputation is on the line too.

Sonos technical support has always been top-notch, please put in the effort to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
We are experiencing the exact same problem with our two ipads, an iphone, and an ipod touch. Every time we try to play music or podcasts downloaded to a device it cuts off after a few minutes. There is no skipping to another track - just dead air. No problem with streamed music but that is no solution after spending a ton of time and money building up a music library. The interesting thing is I tried using an old ipod that is still operating on IOS 9.x and it works great - just like the old days. My real problem is that this issue seems to have been dragging on for months with no resolution. We keep getting app updates for Sonos, in fact we had one just a week ago, and no resolution. And every time the app gets updated the system seems to become harder to operate - more difficult selecting rooms, old groupings taking over even after selecting a different room, etc. This used to be such a nice system to set up and use, and every change just makes it worse. Having tried all the options suggested in this forum have been fruitless and unfortunately after spending a couple $thousand to set up 6 rooms, switching to another system is not a viable option. Sonos needs to fix this or start offering refunds to loyal customers that have been using the speakers since they were first introduced!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Does this happen when playing music from streaming services such as Spotify or Apple Music ?

If it's the same issue that Jeff mentioned, no it doesn't. That issue specifically is for tracks stored on iOS devices, playing to Sonos using the option "On This iPhone" in the Sonos app. The cutouts are caused when the phone's screen is turned off, and the Sonos app loses priority to continue streaming. As Jeff suggested, turning off Airplay on your other devices, or disabling auto lock on the phone would prevent this issue from coming up.

The best option is to play music from another source, including using AirPlay2 with Sonos from that phone if you don't want to use a music service or store the music on another device on the network. The Sonos One, Beam, Amp, Playbase, Play:5 gen2 and Beam are all AirPlay2 compatible.

Any other cutouts that don't fit the specific criteria above, are caused by something else. Audio cutting out could have many different causes, as it means that when the speaker tried to get the music, it couldn't get it. This can be connection related in several different ways. For example, in the above situation, the speaker tries to get music from your phone, and the phone's no longer broadcasting, so no more music is played. If you have trouble playing other sources, it'd be best to contact our support team for help.
Badge
Well they could play music from any source other than music stored on an iOS device, Sonos are working on this, presumably with Apple. Chill
Badge
Did a bit of research and a member of the Sonos support team by the name of Jeff S posted this response 4 months ago:-

There's an issue with playback from the storage on iOS devices which causes audio interruptions when you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network and your iOS device goes to sleep. We're investigating the issue, but for now you can get the streaming going again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or by disabling auto lock in your iOS device's settings menu under display & brightness. Another option is to sync your phone's storage with a computer, and stream from a music share.

This is absolutely terrible, an important customer is currently suffering because they are an Apple household, music being streamed from an iPhone was randomly stopping in the middle of a track and skipping to the next track during a party - Very embarrassing for our client. This problem never existed before

WHAT IS GOING ON SONOS !? - BY NOW THIS PROBLEM SHOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED !

How do you expect people to switch-off auto-lock on their iPhones when it compromises privacy ? How can an Apple household go to every iDevice just to switch-off AirPlay before they can play music ?
Badge
Looks like the earlier “fix” didn’ stick. Turning my Apple TV AirPlay off worked for a while but it’s now stopping mid play as stated earlier in the thread, and then forgets the order and songs that was previously played. I tried setting up on my music on my iMac but for some reason it doesn’t transfer the playlists. So I have to play by song, genre or artist. So frustrating. The only fix that still works is leaving my iPhone screen on. I want to get the amp so that Sonos powers all my regular speakers but right now I have two systems and I am afraid to invest more in Sonos. Right now I have an expensive surround sound system that works well and a streaming stereo that gets a failing grade. Sonos please put an engineer on this.
I agree. It's most frustrating that Apple made the changes that have forced this issue in Sonos.