SONOS skips or stops when playing music from iPhone

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply
We have a SONSO Play 3 and an iPhone 6 and a 6s. When playing music that is stored 'On this iPhone' the tracks skip half way through or playback stops altogether. The problem does not occur when playing from a different source, e.g. a streaming service or radio station. Playing music from the desktop app also works fine. SONOS firmware has been updated several times since this issue began. Similarly, iOS running on our phones has been updated several times too. Our router has also been replaced (it is a Vodafone Ultra Hub Gateway). I have assigned a static IP address for the SONOS and to our phones, but to no avail. The issue happens when playing from both phones. I have even tried keeping the phones and screens awake, but it still happens. I have read through many similar issues posted and tried various fixes but nothing works. Other that this, we have no intermittent issues with the WiFi. It is concerning that a large number of others appear to have this issue, but there doesn't seem to be any solution. This is completely preventing us using the sonos. Please advise.

26 replies

Same for me. They seem to not even bother responding to these inquiries anymore. Since it works just fine with streaming other sources, I just can’t see how it is a network issue. This only started happening after an app update about a year ago. Prior to that it was bulletproof.
I agree KenHowell. This just started happening within the last year after an app update. The SONOS team seem not to care at all about those trying to use their product to play music on their iPhones. It has rendered my system useless. ANYONE LISTENING?
I have exactly the same issue. Dozens of emails back and forth, numerous potential solutions suggested by Sonos, all tried without any success.

It is absolutely scandalous that these products are sold when they are clearly not fit for purpose. I regret the day I ever got involved with “the Sonos family” as they like to bill it.

It’s clearly an issue that they can’t resolve and the products are rendered totally useless.

No doubt their T&C’s will prevent a refund but if I could get my money back for the Play 1, Play 3 and Boost I (stupidly) bought, I absolutely would.
Thanks for your messages guys. I’m glad I’ve only bought one speaker. I certainly won’t be buying another one! This whole thing makes me want my CDs back. Just put one in and press play!

Seriously though, I’m in NZ and I think you could argue that it is not fit for purpose and therefore would be covered under the consumer guarantees act. In which case, the retailer would have to refund me. I’ll be considering this if we don’t hear anything from SONOS soon.
I messaged SONOS via FB Messenger, and they suggested I submit a diagnostic after having a skipping incident while playing music on my iPhone. After doing this, they quickly got back to me on Messenger and suggested I disable AirPlay on my AppleTV unit, as they could see from the diagnostic that I had another device on AirPlay in my house. I did that, and it solved my problem. I just played a complete song list without any skipping.
Badge
I’ve been troubleshooting this problem with them for forever, they have no solution and are well aware of the problem. There is no fix on the horizon. My Sonos is unusable, I barely get through a full song before it skips and jumps to another song deeper in the que.

I’ve tried the “airplay fix” (and every other “fix” they’ve suggested and nothing works).

I send diagnostics EVERY time it skips, thus I’ve sent hundreds of diagnostics to them. They are responding to my emails less and less. I’m sure they just wish I’d go away.
Hi, I've just found this post via a Google search and it is EXACTLY my problem also. Is anyone aware of complaints to a consumer protection body in Australia if SONOS is not doing anything about it?
I have the same problem playing songs from my iPhone and iPad. I have 5 play1 and a soundbar. Everything is up to date and it is not a networks problem. Not having this issue when playing from other sources as Spotify, my Mac, radio etc.
frobru wrote:

I have the same problem playing songs from my iPhone and iPad. I have 5 play1 and a soundbar. Everything is up to date and it is not a networks problem. Not having this issue when playing from other sources as Spotify, my Mac, radio etc.

See here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Copy your music to google play music for free storeage, streaming, and fully synced to your iTunes library:-
https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/
Why not give it a go, if you don't like it, it has cost you nothing, silch etc etc
Badge
Just give up and move on, I am.

Sonos finally admitted to me that is an issue they are aware of and have yet to figure out how to fix.

“We are aware this is an issue, but unfortunately, as of this moment, it's the nature of Apple iOS. It's similar to if you're listening to Apple Music on your headphones and you switch over to watch something on youtube on your phone. The youtube audio starts playing and the Apple Music audio stops. Similar idea, but it's the Sonos audio that's stopping due to something else.”

It’s shameful that Apple and Sonos have paired up despite this long-existing known problem.

I’m done with Sonos forever. Their lack of accountability is sickening.
I have the same problem. I also have a Bose wireless speaker for which the stops have yet to occur. So done with Sonos. System can do only one thing and doesn’t do it well. Wish I could return the speakers.....
Similar problem here. Streaming from iPhone X and XS devices is unreliable. Diagnostics code is 981978144.
F#ck this, I have been with Sonos for 10 years and have always been able to work with them to resolve any issues. Your customer service sucks now, I hope Apple buys you cheap.
JayDelaney wrote:

I have exactly the same issue. Dozens of emails back and forth, numerous potential solutions suggested by Sonos, all tried without any success.

It is absolutely scandalous that these products are sold when they are clearly not fit for purpose. I regret the day I ever got involved with “the Sonos family” as they like to bill it.

It’s clearly an issue that they can’t resolve and the products are rendered totally useless.

No doubt their T&C’s will prevent a refund but if I could get my money back for the Play 1, Play 3 and Boost I (stupidly) bought, I absolutely would.

I have returned 23 Sonos items and keep buying them knowing I will return them. If they won’t respond to consumers or fix the issue I will keep buying and returning. They used to be a good company
Fixyomess wrote:

I have returned 23 Sonos items and keep buying them knowing I will return them. If they won’t respond to consumers or fix the issue I will keep buying and returning. They used to be a good company

And you have not been banned by now from the Sonos Shop?
I have now tried to leave the autolock no my iPad and iPhone to never and if I keep the devices open the music keeps on playing without the skipping. Not ideal, but at least a temporary solution. It suggest to me that this is a problem with the sonos app on iOS and nothing else.
Same problem for months. I’m ready to flush Sonos
Badge
I have the same problem. I own a Sonos surround system using the Beam and I have three Ones at work. I don't stream as I have a huge collection on my phone and I don't want to pay for a streaming service. When my iphone powers down my music stops playing. The "fix" works where I have to change settings on my iphone so that the screen stays on. PLEASE fix this Sonos. I am starting to regret my purchases. I want to get the new amp and power the rest of my speakers but I would be out of my mind to get it without this problem being fixed first. You have a lot of angry customers in this chat....and I thought I would add my name to the chorus!
Chjwolters wrote:

I have the same problem. I own a Sonos surround system using the Beam and I have three Ones at work. I don't stream as I have a huge collection on my phone and I don't want to pay for a streaming service. When my iphone powers down my music stops playing. The "fix" works where I have to change settings on my iphone so that the screen stays on. PLEASE fix this Sonos. I am starting to regret my purchases. I want to get the new amp and power the rest of my speakers but I would be out of my mind to get it without this problem being fixed first. You have a lot of angry customers in this chat....and I thought I would add my name to the chorus!

That's normal, don't you think? Has nothing to do with Sonos.
Smilja wrote:

Chjwolters wrote:

That's normal, don't you think? Has nothing to do with Sonos.

For years this wasn’t normal, and this fix doesn’t work for a lot of us. The fact is that the system lots of us purchased has next to zero functionality compared to the way it did, and we enjoyed, for years.
Badge
Hi Similja, it’s not normal at all, check the thread. When I am playing music from music stored on my iPhone it stops playing about 2 mins after my screen shuts down. I have to adjust my phone settings so that my screen stays on the entire time I play music.
Chjwolters wrote:

Hi Similja, it’s not normal at all, check the thread. When I am playing music from music stored on my iPhone it stops playing about 2 mins after my screen shuts down. I have to adjust my phone settings so that my screen stays on the entire time I play music.

Give Sonos Support a call next week, some ping tests will determine the connection quality. See also.
Badge
Thanks Similja, you have clued me into another solution that works. Turning off Airplay on my Apple TV did the trick. I did this directly through settings on the Apple TV. It’s not optimal but a lot better than keeping my iPhone screen on all the time. I rarely use airplay and rely on a direct HDMI connection to the TV. Looking at the solutions Sonos is giving is frustrating as it’s marketed as a “plug in and play” system. Some smart solutions above from users but not practical for the average user. I only could fiddle with it as I had some free time today. Thanks again

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings