Answered

Sonos Skill in Amazon Echo Kills Volume of Echo Voice Responses in Echo Dot connected to external speakers

Summary: Echo devices connected to speakers via the auxiliary port on the Echo device have a drastically lowered "response voice" when Sonos skill is enabled.

Background: I had three Amazon Echo devices in my home. Two "Amazon Echo Dots" are connected to amplified speakers, so that when I ask the Echo a question (What time is it?) or to play music it the sound plays through the speakers. This worked fine until yesterday when I installed a Sonos One and enabled the Sonos Skill.

Music still played fine through the speakers connected to the Echo Dots. However the Echo response voice was barely above a whisper even will everything turned up as far as it would go.

This problem manifest itself on two separate Echo Dots, in different parts of the house, so we can pretty much rule out a hardware failure.

Additional:
- I have reset all related devices to factory conditions and gone through setup six times and there has been no change to the problem.
- To be absolutely clear: The volume problem is only with the Amazon Echo's "response voice", which is used to answer questions (What time is it? What's on my shopping list? Whats the weather in London?). There is no problem with the volume of music produced by the same systems. This, and the fact that it happened on two separate but identical systems, seems to rule out hardware problems.

Can you repro?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 3 November 2017, 00:11

You're correct, RicBret. This is part of a feature called Ducking. We talk about it here.

There is some more work being done on it for the future too.

View original

3 replies

Finally figured out the problem myself. The Sonos Skill is at fault. Disable the Sonos skill and the bug goes away.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
You're correct, RicBret. This is part of a feature called Ducking. We talk about it here.

There is some more work being done on it for the future too.
Simple enough. Allow the user to enable/disable ducking. Extra points - let them control the amount of ducking for each Echo device. It's not rocket science.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)