Question

SONOS SEARCH function not working properly on the SONOS Apps

Badge
The search function on my Sonos apps (Windows PC & Android mobiles) is failing to pick up a significant proportion of Artists, Albums & Songs etc stored on my BrennanB2 NAS drive and I can't work out why. The Artists & Albums etc are all visible when I scroll down through the full list visible on the Apps but when I try to use the SEARCH function on the apps they can't find many of them. I have updates the index on the NAS drive numerous times and Updated Music Index on the Sonos Apps but this hasn't made any difference. I've checked that everything is connected & switched on before updating but still no joy - Is there a known problem with the SONOS search function or am I doing something wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Amun. I think I've found the problem. As far as I can see, ALL the missing artists/albums have an incorrect narrative of "some artist" in the metatag data column that should contain the artists name and the album column is totally blank for all of them. This suggests to me that the Brennan isn't picking this data up from the CD. Is that correct or is it something else? If it's a Brennan problem, i will contact them direct. It appears to be effecting only 30 albums containing 464 of my 12000 tracks but i have no idea why only those albums are effected.

As @ratty says, it's likely to be to do with the database that Brennan are using. It might not be up to date, or might be missing some data - i.e probably not a software fault, more the lack of data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great work here guys! Looks like you've found the issue here, or at least narrowed it down. Metadata can be a bit tricky and we've seen a lot of software and devices out there that don't handle it well. Brennan's data could also be slightly off and because of that, the songs aren't being registered as the right tracks. It's hard to say for sure, but you could consider reaching out to them. It might be a known issue on their end.
This week I added Prime Music as a source. If I look for anything, (artist, album, playlist, etc), I get no results whatsoever. I've tried "odd" words like, you know, JAZZ and nothing. It's disappointing to see how this particular question has been lingering for over a year, many updates ago and yet, here we are, still dealing with the same issue. Any news or workarounds, SONOS? Any plans to fix this? (and please don't ask us to go to the command line or the like to make fixes)
This week I added Prime Music as a source. If I look for anything, (artist, album, playlist, etc), I get no results whatsoever. I've tried "odd" words like, you know, JAZZ and nothing. It's disappointing to see how this particular question has been lingering for over a year, many updates ago and yet, here we are, still dealing with the same issue. Any news or workarounds, SONOS? Any plans to fix this? (and please don't ask us to go to the command line or the like to make fixes)

What in the world does Amazon Prime Music have to do with missing metadata tags on a Brennan device?

I’ve been searching Amazon Prime Music in the Sonos app for months with zero issues. You’re obviously doing something wrong.
[quote=chicks]What in the world does Amazon Prime Music have to do with missing metadata tags on a Brennan device?

The method is rather simple in either Mac OS X or iOS: One browses through the available music services in a long list provided by SONOS, selects the desired service and, in the usual manner, logs in. The selected service shows up in the available libraries list and there's nothing more to do after that. That's how I added Pandora, for example, and I can do searches there without a problem. If I try a similar search in Amazon Prime, nothing shows up. Chicks offers the somewhat vague bit of help by writing "You’re obviously doing something wrong." Perhaps a more detailed message would be more helpful, so at least I can understand the use of both "something" and "wrong". Thank you.