Sonos says that internet WiFi connection is bad

• 13 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Collaborator I
  • 26 replies

Hello,

I live in a 2-floor house (ground level and 1st floor), which has 500 Mb/s internet connection. I use a TP-link Mesh wifi setup to distribute internet: 3x Deco M9plus (one is the main Deco attached to my modem) + 2x Deco M5.

In my living room (ground level), there are 1x PlayBar + Sub + 2x Play 3 (just in a next room where the main Deco M9plus is). In this living room, there is also a second Deco M9plus using a ethernet backhaul. In the same level, I have another room where there is a Sonos Amp (in this room there is also a Deco M5 using wifi backhaul).

In the 1st floor, there is a Deco M9plus attached with ethernet backhaul where there are 3 rooms (there is a Play 3 in each room; the last room has also a Deco M5, wifi backhaul).

Everywhere in the house, I have at least 200-250 Mb/s wifi speed.

Sonos setup is with wifi (WM).

When I play Tune-In, all the speakers work well except the home cinema PlayBar+Sub+2x Play 3 group (wifi signal is around 300-400 Mb/s here), when it works alone, Tune-In makes breaks (stopping and reconnecting every couple of minutes), Sonos saying the internet connexion is bad (streaming problem). However, if I group one of the Play 3’s in the first floor with my PlayBar+Sub+2x Play 3 group in the living room, Tune-In plays perfectly: no breaks at all !

Could you help me?

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 13 January 2021, 21:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Esat,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for letting us know about your concern. To help you out why your Sonos is having network connection issues, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Esat 

l’d be curious to learn what the diagnostic tells Sonos. That said I can say that and Ethernet back-haul is going to allow the connected node to push a stronger wi-if signal than a node connected via wi-fi back-haul. Thus the Play 3 in the room/area with Ethernet connected back-haul node performs better when grouping to the Play bar configuration or vise-versa.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello,

I submitted a diagnostic report, and the number is 2114443090.

Thank you very much again

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Esat 

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me help you out with this.

Based on the report, wireless interference have been detected on your Sonos Playbar and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Also, there's an audio dropout due to sync errors, and audio playback failure due to not enough bandwidth. This could be the reason why you're experiencing audio issues with your home theater.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps you can do. 

• Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from and observe Sonos performance.
  • Hardwire one of your speakers to your router to create a SonosNet.
    • Test playback and observe Sonos performance.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and run another diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. We’ll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Dear Rowena,

Thank you very much! It is late now here. I will try your suggestion(s) tomorrow night.

There is also an ethernet switch near my Playbar. If the wifi and Sonos reboot does not work, I will try to connect it to ethernet as well. I will then reply to you again with a new diagnostic report (in either case).

Kind regards

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Dear Rowena,

Sorry for the retard.

I did as you proposed (reset the modem, the router and the other mesh nodes, then reset Sonos ; this time I plugged the PlayBar to ethernet via a Netgear switch in the living room). This time the setup is via SonosNet (all the equipment is WM:0).

Everything looks working fine.

Thank you very much again.

This time, the diagnostic report number is 886941559.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Esat

Thanks for your response and for updating us. I'm glad that your Sonos system is working after performing the steps we recommended. Upon checking the diagnostic, the issues that were detected have been cleared out. Please monitor your Sonos performance. If you run into any issues, please do let us know and submit a diagnostic report for us to check.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.