Sonos s2 app rarely connects to the WiFi

• 13 June 2021
  • 6 replies

The issue is the sonos app very rarely connects to my wifi
since everything is done through the app, its very hard to troubleshoot or do anything with my sonos system.

I have sonos beam and 3 x sonos 1’s, i have bought a roam but can’t get it setup because the app simply won’t work on the wifi. 

I do have the sonos app on my pc that works fine.

I have the same problem on both mine and my partners phone (apple and android) 

I have had sonos for 7 + years, and it is only recently when the s2 app was released did things stop working. 

I can sit near the wireless router and it won’t connect from my phone, other apps on the phone fine, sonos “can’t connect to wifi”

All sonos devices are on wireless around the house and they work

I have a peleton on wireless that streams video - no issue

So its not wireless signal or the strength

Reading around the forums and this community this seems to be a common problem.  The articles of “restart your router” or “is the device powered on” are of little to no help.

TLDR: wireless works on everything except the sonos s2 app - how can this be resolved.  

Should have read the reviews on app store.  not hopeful of resolving the problem

EDIT: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonos.acr2&hl=en_GB&gl=US&showAllReviews=true

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What router are you using? Hopefully not a BT or Asus model.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you contact Sonos about this?

OK 3 hours later to support and testing everything.

I hope I can save someone else the pain of going through this and provide the answers to what seems to be a common problem.

The issue is the router operates on 2 channels, one on 2.4ghz and one on 5ghz.
though this is normal these days, this confuses the sonos as it sees two MAC addresses.

I had to separate the wireless networks out, so 5ghz is on one wifi and the 2.4ghz on a separate wireless network. i.e. mywifi1 and wmyifi5 

I also had to unplug the one device I hard cabled into the network, apparently, not good for whatever reason though you would assume better.

Then reconnect all the sonos to the 2.4Ghz and I connected everything else i could to the 5ghz, bearing in mind the devices that connect to the sonos need to be on the 2.4ghz to connect to it i.e. mobile phones. 

I still think this is crazy, I am pretty technical and could do this easily and pretty fast.  How sonos expect the average person to do this to get it to work is not good enough.

All other devices i have that are wireless cope just fine, so this is firmly at sonos’ design flaws. 

The support person I got too on the 3rd time, new about this, because this was his recommendation and said it will “just all work” when i do it.  So this must be a known issue to get to that conclusion reasonably fast.

Anyway - i hope this helps anyone else going mad with the system and why you can’t connect to it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You say:”The issue is the router operates on 2 channels, one on 2.4ghz and one on 5ghz.
though this is normal these days, this confuses the sonos as it sees two MAC addresses.”

This does seem like the BT-problem @controlav is referring to. Somthing abou “network separation"?

Edit: this isssue is marked “solved". BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021) | Sonos Community

this is firmly at sonos’ design flaws. 

It isn’t. In common with the UPnP standard the Sonos controller uses subnet multicasts/broadcasts (SSDP) to locate the players. If the router in question fails to forward broadcast traffic between different local network segments it’s the router with the design flaws.

(BTW it’s nothing to do with multiple MAC addresses. Most routers/APs will happily allow a mobile on 5GHz to find Sonos players on the other network segments.)

Update:

First to respond to the above:

bear in mind one of the sonos device (beam) that also wouldn’t connect was wired directly into the router, that should default connect and create the mesh sonos network with the other devices.

AND my Peleton only works on 5ghz only (found this out when splitting the networks) and that never had an issue with the wireless and forwarding on the network segments from the router.

Also, the app on my PC, when i connect to the wireless worked 100% of the time. This was another test I carried out that led me to the issue being with the s2 app.

So, since splitting the networks, the PC app can see only the beam - the mobiles can see the the 2xplays and the roam not the beam. :-( 

Still not there, it still occasionally can’t find any devices but, not often. Still stuck with just the issue of the difference between PC and apps not finding all devices!

Note: the beam is no longer on a network cable at the advice of sonos support.

Any ideas on the final step?