Answered

Sonos S1 has suddenly lost my music "The computer [name] cannot be found" whilst in use

• 16 September 2021
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Out of the blue my Sonos S1 controller has lost my music.

Nothing changed, the computer hadn’t been changed in any way, no settings changed, no software installed, I simply chose a different album to play and it’s all gone.

I tried adding the music folders again and still get the “computer cannot be found” error despite it being the computer that’s running the Sonos app!

I’ve had a look on the forum and there’s lots about people making changes then losing their music but I haven’t found one like mine where nothing changed, it was running then it simply lost everything.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Sonos S1 app, rebooted the router and the Sonos Bridge, checked the firewall settings before I uninstalled it and it set the firewall settings again for the fresh install so I know that’s not the problem.

Windows 10 hasn’t updated, so I can see no reason at all for this to have happened.

I’d appreciate any help I can get with this before I chuck the lot on eBay and get blue tooth speakers instead, thanking my lucky stars I didn’t spend more money on upgrading my Sonos kit!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 September 2021, 13:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Airgetlam 

Fingers crossed it’s not going to be a regular occurrence as there’re multiple software updates involved between the speakers, controller, Windows and router.

As it hasn’t happened before, I’m hoping it’s now stable. We’ll see.

Thanks for all the info. Better informed is never a bad thing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P 

It’s happening every day.

Last night I left the PC on so there was no change from when it was working yesterday. This morning, it can’t find music on the PC the software’s running on, again, until the router is rebooted.

Nothing changed, it wasn’t turned off, didn’t go to sleep and still can’t find it, so it was nothing to do with TalkTalk’s settings.

Diagnostic report is: 449025794

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MDN2020 

I think at this point I’d want to remotely connect to your computer to investigate. It’s not an option for me, but I think your getting in touch with our technical support team might be the way to go.

I’m still seeing local name resolution failing - can you try removing the path from Sonos’ Music Library and adding the PC as a network location instead, using the PC’s IP address instead of it’s network name? That might make the whole name resolution issue immaterial.

As the speakers are reporting non-local DNS resolution issues too, I’m inclined to blame your router for all of this - it might be misconfigured, but I think it also might just be defective. Certainly a swap would let us know one way or the other.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P 

I pretty quickly worked out I have no idea how to add the PC and drive via its IP address…

Today, it’s behaved itself. I don’t know if this is because I connected another pair of speakers that I don’t often use Friday evening, and disconnected them Saturday evening? It was happily playing my music through them on Friday evening but not Saturday morning, although the streaming services were working.

I guess I need to wait for it to lose my music again and then get hold of your technical support team?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MDN2020 

Apologies - I should have provided more detail.

First, remove the existing path for your music share from the Sonos app. Then, please open Windows’ File Explorer and navigate to “Network” then DESKTOP-N09MSUH, then find the music folder and enter it. Click on the path in the address bar between the main window and the tool/menu bar and copy the full path.

Now, follow the steps on our Add your music library to Sonos page, but at step 4 choose to add a network folder and paste the path in. Replace DESKTOP-N09MSUH with the IP address of the computer (here’s how to find it).

If this doesn’t work, there are a few reasons why this could be and it would be best for one of our agents to explore why. And yes, please wait until you can no longer access your music and then call (not chat with) our technical support team.