Sonos Roam - odd bluetooth issue on holiday

• 30 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I had an odd issue with my Roam whilst on holiday recently.

I took the Roam with me for hotel room entertainment in case our holiday was a washout. 

The first night all was fine. I was able to use the Roam via Bluetooth in the hotel room- no problem. Functioned as expected.

I plugged the Roam in to charge overnight, and that's where the issue began.

The next morning I could not get my phone or my partners' phone to find the Roam on Bluetooth. I probably spent an hour wrestling with it that morning and later again in the afternoon. The phones just would not find the Roam on a scan.

Eventually out of frustration, I connected the Roam to the hotel's free wi-fi and reconnected my Sonos S2 App to the hotel WiFi. After that, I was able to connect to the Roam just fine. But now I will have to reprogram all my other Sonos speakers (I have a lot of them) when I get home.  More than a bit annoying!

I can't fathom why this happened but I assume the Roam must have automatically linked itself to the hotel WiFi, perhaps after I turned it off at night to recharge.

This is a problem Sonos needs to be aware of so that they can fix it. Not only is it an annoying problem, but I can't help think this is a security risk. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Srry, two things happening here. Main issue is that sonos roam is connected with my phone through bluetooth, but no sounds is coming out through the sonos roam box tried spotify, youtube and apple music.

Disconnect the speaker temporarily from the phones Bluetooth, just to ensure the music still plays okay on your phone speakers.

Then go back to the Bluetooth settings on the phone and select to connect back to the Roam speaker - you should hear a connection tone from the speaker to confirm it is linked and if necessary simply resume the music. Also, if needed, turn up the volume on the speaker too.

See if that works for you.

Have the same issue. The question is: can you use Sonos Roam on holidays?

what happens if the Sonos roam is connected with your iPhone, but the music cannot be played with airplay?

Have the same issue. The question is: can you use Sonos Roam on holidays?

what happens if the Sonos roam is connected with your iPhone, but the music cannot be played with airplay?

You need the phone and speaker connected to the same wireless network subnet to use Airplay? Otherwise, if there’s no WiFi, you would perhaps choose to use Bluetooth instead.

Srry, two things happening here. Main issue is that sonos roam is connected with my phone through bluetooth, but no sounds is coming out through the sonos roam box tried spotify, youtube and apple music.

Perhaps see this Sonos Support document here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989

By the way you will not have to reprogram your other speakers when back at home, so don’t do that. Just reset the S2 App (which is just a remote for your system) via ‘App Preferences’ and connect it back to your ‘existing’ system.