Sonos Roam making continuous banging sound

• 1 January 2022
  • 19 replies

My new Sonos Roam has just randomly started making a continuous banging noise, all attempts to either reset the unit or turn it off have failed, there is no one available at Sonos to assist, has anyone else experienced this? Currently I have had to put it in a box wrapped in blankets to dull the noise, it sounds like a jack hammer, any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Perhaps try continually holding the rear power button for 15-20s and see if that resets the device.

Userlevel 7

Also sounds like it could be a buffering coming from a source over wi-if. Check your device to be sure that streaming source and music on your device aren’t trying to access the Roam simultaneously or someone in your household. 

I’ve not heard of this issue before, but hoping the power-button reset will at least help to stop the noise for now. If it sorts it, but then (ever) happens again, my thoughts are to try to grab a video of what you’re seeing/hearing and perhaps try to get a diagnostic report by trying these steps below…

Press the ‘Play/Pause’ and ‘Volume Down’ buttons at the same time, until the front LED flashes red (this should take 10-15 seconds), then power Roam ‘off’ and back ‘on’ by pressing the power button (for a long period, if necessary). Once Roam is reconnected to the Sonos App, submit a system diagnostic and report the issue, including the diagnostic number, in the thread hear and then contact Sonos Support via this LINK

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Unfortunately none of that has worked, I appreciate your responses and help, at the moment i’m thinking i will have to wait until the power runs out and then speak with support next week when they open again. It was playing music fine then just flipped to this banging noise.  

Unfortunately none of that has worked, I appreciate your responses and help, at the moment i’m thinking i will have to wait until the power runs out and then speak with support next week when they open again. It was playing music fine then just flipped to this banging noise.  

Maybe video what you’re seeing/hearing then - try to capture as much info. as you can to show to Sonos Support. If the device is showing in the App, then grab a diagnostic too.👍

Thanks will do, App is not showing the system and can’t connect but I will film the noise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just a thought but what happens if you play music from the Sonos App to your Roam.  Does it stop the noise or play both?

Edit:

Sorry I was typing this before your last post.

This has happened to us as well. It sounds like a jackhammer. And can’t get it to stop. 

This happened to me too, exactly as you described. It took several attempts but we finally got it to shut off after holding the power button down for way longer than we thought would be needed.

If it’s happening to you, definitely take a video of the sound. I was able to chat with a Sonos representative, send the video, and they are sending me a replacement.

P.S. That sound is NUTS, right? Totally berzerk!

Userlevel 1

Is this the sound that it's making? . I've had my new beam gen 2 doing similar stuff. You tube link below. 

Found others having same issues, and found this on another support thread. 

This happened to my Roam. The only thing that stopped it was holding the power button for ~30 seconds. 

Userlevel 1

If it's in warranty I would seek getting it replaced.

After getting my beam replaced I haven't had this issue occur since so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

i had the same problem…..was able to hold the power button for 15 seconds to get the unit to reset….tech support was not much help and claims they’ve never seen the issue…..Lucky i was here to take care of it….this would have scared the hell out of my family…...Sonos has not offered a replacement, but it this happens again, i’ll ask for a replacement…….

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had the same problem this morning for the first time. Awful!

First this continuous banging noise and then when I tried to turn off the device the noise changed and became a kind of shrieking noise.

Only way to stop it was to hold the power button for a very long time.

In my opinion this is rather a software problem, which must be solved very fast…

(the problem occured with a Roam device, other Sonos devices were playing the same music at the same time, but only the Roam had this problem)

I had the same problem this morning for the first time. Awful!

First this continuous banging noise and then when I tried to turn off the device the noise changed and became a kind of shrieking noise.

Only way to stop it was to hold the power button for a very long time.

In my opinion this is rather a software problem, which must be solved very fast…

(the problem occured with a Roam device, other Sonos were playing the same music at he same time, but only the Roam had this problem)

If you do encounter this issue repeatedly, then I would personally suggest that once the Roam has reconnected back to the Sonos App, immediately (within 20 minutes) submit a system diagnostic from the Sonos App and report the issue, including the diagnostic reference number to Sonos Support via this LINK

Userlevel 1
Badge

Been there done that... Tech support suggest   a factory reset. What a bunch of crap. In the end, it's obvious that they've got a problem and they have no idea what it is. I have submitted the video showing them the issue and asking for a new roam device. If they won't send me any device, I believe I'm still in my return period. Guess we'll have to wait and see. This has certainly been more trouble than it's worth, and hard to believe that this is sonos go forward strategy.... So I ended out going from a play 5 generation 1, which would not effectively work with the Sonos S2 app,, to a jackhammer. I believe this may be the definition of a s**t show... Problem is, I bought a ticket to the show..

Been there done that... Tech support suggest   a factory reset. What a bunch of crap. In the end, it's obvious that they've got a problem and they have no idea what it is. I have submitted the video showing them the issue and asking for a new roam device. If they won't send me any device, I believe I'm still in my return period. Guess we'll have to wait and see. This has certainly been more trouble than it's worth, and hard to believe that this is sonos go forward strategy....

You reported this just a few days ago and said Staff got you to reset the device and you would see how things go and if it happened again you would ask them to replace the Roam. So has it happened to you again? If so, I would go back to Support with any further diagnostic report reference and see what they say. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve done the factory reset and sent tech support the diagnostic report after performing a factory reset. I have not had the item “jack hammer” on me since. The problem is this: the item goes into jack hammer mode intermittently. I’ve had the unit for about 10 days and its happened twice. So the only way to determine if the factory reset is the fix, is the wait it out. Maybe it will be 2 days, maybe 4, maybe 14, maybe the day after the warranty period ends. I wont be at the residence where the speaker is kept for the next couple of months, so the whole thing is going to be a continued question mark unless tech support sees something in the diagnostic that identifies the issue. I believe the only true resolution is what happened to josh2893. His unit stopped jack hammering after it was replaced...I believe that is the only true fix currently available…….Guess we’ll have to wait and see….

Userlevel 1
Badge

So the wait and see is over….After performing a factory reset and sending support the diagnostic, they have determined that i have a faulty unit and have started the return/replace process. My unit has not decided jack hammer since the reset, but given the history, i expect it to start making the noise at any moment. Its going back today before it decides to change its mind……

Hope the new unit doesnt show up with the same issue..

keep you posted

greygoose