Answered

Sonos repeats Spotify tracks tracks on its own

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

195 replies

Badge
Please stop telling the customers that it is a wifi issue. This is bsht! It is a Spotify-Sonos issue and nothing else! It is a bug. Nothing else! Otherwise Apple Music, Prime and other services would not work either in the Same wifi setting. But they do! Sonos and Spotify: just fix this bug!
It's most likely an issue where the speaker is losing connection to your wifi, so it would repeat the song and not be able to notify the controller properly.

I would recommend unplugging all of your Sonos devices, then rebooting your router, and then plugging the speakers back one at a time, waiting at least a minute before each speaker, so that they have time to reboot.

It is very strange because before the last update everything worked just fine, I have not moved any speaker or moved the router, suddenly I get this issue. So telling me that my wifi is loosing connection don't make sens. Please come up with a solution Sonos!
Yep, one of the amazing features of doing an update is that it does a reboot of all of your speakers, forcing them to request a new IP from your router. If your router has gotten in to a state where it has forgotten what IPs have been handed out (can easily happen a myriad of ways, IMHO), it can hand out duplicate IPs, even though to you, nothing has changed. It's the reason we, here in these boards, often recommend that you reserve IP addresses so that if your router does get in that state, your Sonos speakers (the most sensitive devices in your entire network) aren't affected, since they're already assigned in the router's table.

It would be nice if Sonos had the ability to control every brand of router out on the market, and force them to reboot everytime an update was released, but I suspect that 1) there's too many kinds of routers and 2) it would cause some other folks issues. I do wish that Sonos would officially recommend reserving IP addresses, but I think their marketing department would have fits, since it's supposed to be a system that "just works", kind of like Apple claims ( and also doesn't deliver all the time). But networking just isn't always that easy. Anyway, that's why it may have been working for a long time, and then suddenly, after an update, it doesn't. The IP address for the speaker becomes shared.
Yep, one of the amazing features of doing an update is that it does a reboot of all of your speakers, forcing them to request a new IP from your router. If your router has gotten in to a state where it has forgotten what IPs have been handed out (can easily happen a myriad of ways, IMHO), it can hand out duplicate IPs, even though to you, nothing has changed. It's the reason we, here in these boards, often recommend that you reserve IP addresses so that if your router does get in that state, your Sonos speakers (the most sensitive devices in your entire network) aren't affected, since they're already assigned in the router's table.

It would be nice if Sonos had the ability to control every brand of router out on the market, and force them to reboot everytime an update was released, but I suspect that 1) there's too many kinds of routers and 2) it would cause some other folks issues. I do wish that Sonos would officially recommend reserving IP addresses, but I think their marketing department would have fits, since it's supposed to be a system that "just works", kind of like Apple claims ( and also doesn't deliver all the time). But networking just isn't always that easy. Anyway, that's why it may have been working for a long time, and then suddenly, after an update, it doesn't. The IP address for the speaker becomes shared.

From this picture, I can not see any trouble with my IP addresses.

Why can I not get help on this topic from someone that knows the problem.. I will open a case now..

Regards
Mattias Rejman
[...] From this picture, I can not see any trouble with my IP addresses.
It isn't plainly visible.

[…] Oh, and you won't spot any IP duplication from the DHCP table in the router. If there were any dupes it wouldn't know about it, otherwise it would have taken appropriate action.
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/connection-speed-insufficient-immediately-after-7-3-upgrade-6788284/index1.html#post16130062

How can there be dupe IPs anyway?
Typically it's because a router has restarted, and forgotten about all the IP addresses it handed out beforehand. Along comes a new device -- such as a Sonos unit as it reboots -- which requests an IP, and the router unknowingly hands out one that's already in use.

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/connection-speed-insufficient-immediately-after-7-3-upgrade-6788284/index1.html#post16129523

Any network traffic failure after an upgrade is almost always caused by a duplicated IP address. The Sonos units reboot during the update process and, if the router's lost lease info, can be assigned an IP that's already in use.

Reboot all the devices on your network. This will ensure that all request fresh, unique IP addresses.

Assuming that resolves the problem, I suggest you get your router to reserve IP addresses for important network devices. Most will let you do so.

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/connection-speed-insufficient-immediately-after-7-3-upgrade-6788284/index1.html#post16129511
Thank you, Smilja, for digging up all of those references to this issue for the OP.
Thank you, Smilja, for digging up all of those references to this issue for the OP.
Hopefully this will be convincing at last. 🙂
[...] From this picture, I can not see any trouble with my IP addresses.
It isn't plainly visible.

[…] Oh, and you won't spot any IP duplication from the DHCP table in the router. If there were any dupes it wouldn't know about it, otherwise it would have taken appropriate action.
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/connection-speed-insufficient-immediately-after-7-3-upgrade-6788284/index1.html#post16130062

How can there be dupe IPs anyway?
Typically it's because a router has restarted, and forgotten about all the IP addresses it handed out beforehand. Along comes a new device -- such as a Sonos unit as it reboots -- which requests an IP, and the router unknowingly hands out one that's already in use.

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/connection-speed-insufficient-immediately-after-7-3-upgrade-6788284/index1.html#post16129523

Any network traffic failure after an upgrade is almost always caused by a duplicated IP address. The Sonos units reboot during the update process and, if the router's lost lease info, can be assigned an IP that's already in use.

Reboot all the devices on your network. This will ensure that all request fresh, unique IP addresses.

Assuming that resolves the problem, I suggest you get your router to reserve IP addresses for important network devices. Most will let you do so.

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/connection-speed-insufficient-immediately-after-7-3-upgrade-6788284/index1.html#post16129511

Actually nothing of this worked but after taking to the Suppor team they admitted that they are having an issue with SONSO and SPOTIFY and they are working on the solution. As part of the waiting time, they pushed a FIX to my system that I installed and the problem is gone! SO HAPPY! These excuses with IP problem is not true. Below is the answer from the SONOS support Everyone with this problem, ask for the fix from the support team and install it on your Sonos system. It works like a charm!

"Dear Mattias,

Thank you for contacting Sonos technical support.

The repeating tracks is a issue we are investigating together with Spotify at the moment.

I have sent you a test fix so please go to Settings and update the system and try again.

Please also let me know if it works.

I will get back to you ASAP I have more information about the general issue.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards,

Henrik
Sonos Customer Care"
Please stop telling the customers that it is a wifi issue. This is bsht! It is a Spotify-Sonos issue and nothing else! It is a bug. Nothing else! Otherwise Apple Music, Prime and other services would not work either in the Same wifi setting. But they do! Sonos and Spotify: just fix this bug!

Contact the support team and they will deliver you a FIX. See the email conversation below that I had with SONSO support team. I installed the fix and it solved my problem

Dear Mattias,

Thank you for contacting Sonos technical support.

The repeating tracks is a issue we are investigating together with Spotify at the moment.

I have sent you a test fix so please go to Settings and update the system and try again.

Please also let me know if it works.

I will get back to you ASAP I have more information about the general issue.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards,

Henrik Boson
Sonos Customer Care
No Sonos conspiracy against their customer base, then?
Badge
Smilja, nobody ever said something about conspiracy theories. I am just angry because the support always has been telling me, that something is wrong with my wifi signal totally ignoring the core of my problem. And the same thing they told other customers who went spending hundrets of dollars on new WLAN-Hardware.

Honest words like „We are so sorry, we simply cannot find the spotify bug, we can offer you a work around...“ would have been a totally other thing to me.
Badge
By the way: they did not manage to fix the 2 month old bug within the new Sonos- and Spotify release that werde published yesterday
I am going to contact them for the test fix. This is getting ridiculous now
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

We have a patch which may help with Spotify repeating tracks. Please send in a new diagnostic report from your systems if you are still having this issue. Then, reply here with your confirmation number and I'll apply the patch.
Hi everyone,

We have a patch which may help with Spotify repeating tracks. Please send in a new diagnostic report from your systems if you are still having this issue. Then, reply here with your confirmation number and I'll apply the patch.

Confirmation number: 7789227
Hi everyone,

I'm having this issue. My number is: 7789644
"Jeff S wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have a patch which may help with Spotify repeating tracks. Please send in a new diagnostic report from your systems if you are still having this issue. Then, reply here with your confirmation number and I'll apply the patch."

I am also having this issue. Diagnostic sent, confirmation number is 7789752.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi storebatfar, oslar30, and engeebax - welcome to the community. Thanks for passing along the diagnostics. I've gone ahead and applied the patch, so you should all see an update available for your system. If you don't see an update available, you may need to manually check for one. Please run that update and then post back here on how things are going.
Hi storebatfar, oslar30, and engeebax - welcome to the community. Thanks for passing along the diagnostics. I've gone ahead and applied the patch, so you should all see an update available for your system. If you don't see an update available, you may need to manually check for one. Please run that update and then post back here on how things are going.

Hi Andy, thanks for the prompt response. I ran the update last night, but unfortunately the issue persists. I have run a further diagnostic - no: 7793932.
Hi everyone,

Confirmation no 7794409
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
engeebax - As the patch didn't help, it'll be best to give us a call when you have a chance. I've created an incident for you under reference number 170902-000934 so the next technician can get caught up to speed on what's been done so far.

swenson - Welcome to the community and thanks for posting the diagnostic number. I've applied the patch to your system, please update and let us know if you're still having troubles.
Hello
I have same exact issue.

Here is my Confirmation no: 7796271
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello
I have same exact issue.

Here is my Confirmation no: 7796271

Hi JonasB and welcome to the community. The patch has been applied to your system. Please run the update when you have a chance and post back here to let us know if that helped.
Badge
Dear Andy B,
sorry for the late response, but I was out for vacation.

Confirmation number: 7801049.

This morning the "bug" has occurred twice (song number 2 on the queue ends > the song on air is the same, n.2 on the queue > if I play "skip" the system skips two songs ahead, going to the n.4 on the queue).
The router and the system were off for two weeks, so I'd consider it a good reboot... 😃
Andy B

The patch seem to have fixed the issue on my system(s). Will post here again if the problem appear again.

Cheers
J