Question

SONOS repeatedly shutting down

• 8 January 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 11 replies

I have SONOS devices in numerous rooms, all connected via my home wi-fi (Apple Extreme) including a SONOS BOOST.   

Recently, the entire system has shut down and disappeared from the app of my iPhone (except my SONOS MOVE) each room slowly reappearing.   It might then reconnect to the internet radio channel to which I was listening.

I have rebooted the SONOS BOOST and the Apple Extreme but the problem promptly occurred again.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

1 reply

How are you defining “shut down”? Are your Sonos devices powering off? Or are they just disappearing from your controller?

If I were to hazard a guess, your Sonos is merely temporarily losing connection to your LAN, and stopping playback.

I’d start by refreshing the LAN network completely. Unplug all your Sonos devices, including the Move, from power. While they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Give the router a minute or two to reboot, then plug back in your Sonos devices.

Give the Sonos system a couple of minutes to boot up, then test. Which won’t be a short term test, since this is an occasional (maybe just twice?) thing, but see if it occurs again.

I’d recommend that you look in to reserving IP addresses for your network devices in your router’s DHCP table, this “reboot” function is a quick and dirty way of fixing some issues that wouldn’t return if you were to reserve IP addresses.