Answered

sonos refuses to work, system not found, then it is then disapears

• 5 September 2018
  • 10 replies

hi
I have a bridge, a 3 and two 5s. on my windows surface, my android, my wife's apple phone sonos refuses to be found. I can tediously set up a new system, this works for an hour and then off it goes again. as I pay for spotify to work through the damn system it is now irritating to the extreme, can anyone help? is there no way to totally reset the system so my play 3 and play 5s think they are new and not 'white light'
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 7 September 2018, 08:54

No, unplug the Bridge from power, if it is the power supply going bad it can mess up the sonos connection through the other unit as it fades in and out.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

There's a couple of things that might be happening, so an easy answer is elusive....and I'm afraid only adds to your frustration.

The first step I'd take would be to refresh your wifi system. Unplug all of your Sonos devices from power. Then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug in the bridge, giving it a minute or two to come up and connect. Do the same thing, one at a time, to the rest of your speakers.

Second, if that doesn't work, try connecting the ethernet cable to a speaker, rather than the bridge. There's been some reports of older bridges having power supplies going bad, it's possible that your system is dropping off as the power supply fluctuates. Connecting directly to a speaker, even if temporarily, should be a good way of testing that. If you find this is the case, you could probably purchase a replacement power supply online (like Amazon) or replace with a Boost, which is what I did.
And upon further thought, I'd do my second suggestion first, it's much more likely than my first suggestion.
Thanks Bruce. Gonna try this. I am assuming I keep the bridge plugged in as normal during this process? With Step 2
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No, unplug the Bridge from power, if it is the power supply going bad it can mess up the sonos connection through the other unit as it fades in and out.
Hi. In the end I unplugged everything and started by reconnecting the bridge then one speaker at a time.
This seems to have worked but it now and again looses connectivity, any idea why? I play music through a paid Spotify account through the sonos.
Hmmm. You may have 2 separate issues going, which you've fixed one, but the other still remains. The Bridge's power supply is still a potential in my mind, so if you can remove that from the equation completely at least temporarily, and wire one of the speakers to the router instead, I'd certainly try that. Run it for an hour or two in that configuration, and see if you end up still getting the dropouts. If you don't, I'd look into getting a replacement power supply, or just replacing it with a Boost (which is what I did in my house).

But if that doesn't work, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of having one of those dropouts, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Hmmm! Actually the fix wasn't a fix. After almost a full day of music in which I went out come back and sonos connected straight away it just went back to 'we can't connect'. So back to square one.

I logged diagnostics but they never respond

I'll try to buy a boost.

Aghhh
Sending in a diagnostic is only half the battle. You have to either post the number here, or call in via one of their other methods of contact. To my knowledge, they don't look at diagnostics without some sort of prompt. In my mind, it's not because of laziness, it's because the diagnostic system has no method of text entry, so you can tell them what they're looking for. So they would spend an hour or two analyzing the entire thing looking for something wrong, instead of just jumping to where the issue you've explained here on the boards, or via phone is. (note, this is pure assumption on my part).

But the Boost is a good, as well as inexpensive, replacement for the Bridge, in my mind. Better radios in it, giving you faster (not terribly necessary) and further (useful) reach. It has SonosNet 2.0, rather than 1.0 in the Bridge. Think 802.11g rather than 802.11b.

Good luck!
Here is the diagnostic number 2077630544

I tried plugging in my sonos 3 into the router and disconnected the bridge from the network

That worked until I unplugged then turned on one of the sonos 5s. As it flashed white my phone suddenly said 'no sonos' yet the sonos 3 continued to play uninterrupted for 5 minutes then stopped

So tried again, now working. I'll see what happens tonight

Thanks for the support ?
Just to close this. It's been a week since I stopped using the bridge and plugged a sonos 3 straight into the router. All is well and fine now. It's a pain to have to now have a speaker in a room which is not used that much but at least I have music again.

Thanks guys for your help. Soon I will buy the boost and see what happens ?