Sonos Ray w/ 2x Symfonisk and Samsung Q9FN DTS passthrough issue

• 22 June 2022
  • 4 replies

No options for Ray owners yet on the forums I see!

I’ve spoken to both Sonos and Samsung about this and neither can resolve it. I’ve discovered that this model of TV possibly isn’t capable of passing through a DTS signal via Optical Out. I’ve tried this with several bluray discs on both a PS5 and a Sony UHD player.

Under Expert Settings Bitstream is selected. When receiving a Dolby signal, it allows to choose between Digital Output Audio Format PCM or Dolby Digital. With DTS, only PCM. Would that PCM signal be the TV outputting 2.0 or the Ray receiving the DTS signal and outputting it as 2.0?

Unless the Sonos can’t process a DTS 7.1/5.1 True HD signal? Does anyone know? It’s still a bit of a mystery.

edit - it seems Samsung only allowed for DTS passthrough on TV’s from 2020 onwards. Mystery solved; but if anyone else is having the same problem, there’s your answer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Most TV’s output PCM 2.0 stereo as the fallback for A/V playback when the codec is otherwise not supported. I’m surprised that Samsung are supporting DTS 5.1 pass-through on their new TV’s, as many other manufacturers have removed that codec option, so that users will perhaps continue to buy their Blu-Ray players and use DTS-HQ and DTS-X codecs.

Anyhow you can always bypass a TV these days with an audio extractor such as the HDFury Arcana or the Feintech VAX04101A. I know the latter definitely supports DTS passthrough out-the-box.

Such extractors also help to eliminate lip-sync issues too for older TV’s with no slower processors.

Userlevel 7

Anyhow you can always bypass a TV these days with an audio extractor such as the HDFury Arcana or the Feintech VAX04101A. I know the latter definitely supports DTS passthrough out-the-box.

Will the Ray work with the Arcana or VAX04101 since it connects via optical rather than HDMI ARC?

I wouldn’t think so. Atmos, which both of those devices are designed to deliver, can’t be transferred across optical, so there would be a waste of money in getting either of them. You’d be better off with a standard HDMI switch with an optical output, and not paying that hefty tax for Atmos/eARC capability. 

Will the Ray work with the Arcana or VAX04101 since it connects via optical rather than HDMI ARC?

Oooh yes, a schoolboy error, that’s my mistake, I forgot it was a ‘Ray’  - thanks 🙏 @GuitarSuperstar - the OP would need an optical audio extractor/HDMI-switch instead that supported the required DTS/Dolby codecs.

Heres one that I quickly stumbled on, that’s if the TV has HDMI-ARC support:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Switcher-Optical-Toslink-Extractor/dp/B07YD2CLMY/ref=sr_1_9

I couldn’t see one (at a glance) if the TV just has optical audio output only - it may need a HDMI switch/audio-extractor plus an optical splitter to perhaps do that, but hopefully there’s an all-in-one audio extractor box out there on the web, that will solve these sort of issues.