Question

Sonos randomly turning on middle of the night

• 2 January 2020
  • 4 replies

I have read the previously posted threads about it without a clear solution. My sonos (sound bar) is connected to my cable box via optical audio cable, we have noticed now it randomly comes on late night playing the TV output. We normally just turn the TV off and go to bed, not the cable box.

It’s weird that it decides to connect to TV on it’s own when not directed via app. I don’t have alexa connected to sonos and i don’t believe there is an alarm set in sonos app.

4 replies

This is most likely the cable box checking for updates. The Sonos is never really “off”, it’s just in low power state waiting for the next input. Instead of connecting the Sonos to the cable box, I’d recommend connecting it to the TV, if possible. 

It sounds like a design issue to me, it should never “randomly” come on without being instructed to do so from the app or the button on the bar itself, especially in the middle of the night.

Maybe an option on the app to put it to sleep, which would ignore all inputs from connected devices until its manually turned on.

It sounds like a design issue to me, it should never “randomly” come on without being instructed to do so from the app or the button on the bar itself, especially in the middle of the night.

Maybe an option on the app to put it to sleep, which would ignore all inputs from connected devices until its manually turned on.

It is an option.  In the settings for the Beam, turn ‘TV Autoplay’ to Off. 

That would be great, for you specifically, abd probably cause a lot of support issues for Sonos. I’d think it would make more sense to have the maker of the cable box to not energize their output when checking for updates, but that’s just me.

Again, if you were to connect to the TV, the way Sonos is designed to be connected, this would be a moot point….most TVs that had this issue have been updated with software fixes by the TV manufacturers to stop this kind of issue from happening, when they wake up to check for software updates. Likely due to complaints from people using third party speakers. 

that being said, I’m certain that a Sonos rep will read your comments, and forward them to the team for consideration. Who knows, perhaps we’ll see it implemented.