SONOS products are incapable of streaming podcasts without skips and frustrationg interruptions in playback, period.

It's interesting that so many people have had the identical issue of podcasts skipping to the next, with no way to resolve, and yet SONOS technical staff seem to send us all running in circles: "send diagnostics" (to no avail), "change the Sonos channel to 6" (doesn't work), "could be Airplay interference" (no, it isn't), "possibly a network issue" (possibly?).... Has anyone actually found a RESOLUTION to this? So very sad (my podcast, literally just skipped ahead again as I'm writing this). I have begun to tell my friends who like their podcasts to AVOID SONOS!!!! Just admit it, SONOS, if folks want to stream podcasts, your products CAN'T DO THE JOB!!! Why the constant runaround?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's interesting that so many people have had the identical issue of podcasts skipping to the next, with no way to resolve, and yet SONOS technical staff seem to send us all running in circles: "send diagnostics" (to no avail), "change the Sonos channel to 6" (doesn't work), "could be Airplay interference" (no, it isn't), "possibly a network issue" (possibly?).... Has anyone actually found a RESOLUTION to this? So very sad (my podcast, literally just skipped ahead again as I'm writing this). I have begun to tell my friends who like their podcasts to AVOID SONOS!!!! Just admit it, SONOS, if folks want to stream podcasts, your products CAN'T DO THE JOB!!! Why the constant runaround?

Hi there,

Are you trying to play podcasts from your iOS device's storage? If so, we're investigating an issue where the playback will cut out when your iOS device goes to sleep or goes into auto lock. Try disabling auto lock in the iOS device's settings menu under Display & Brightness. Also, it may help to disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos device you might be running.
I have switched from the Apple Podcast application and iTunes to TuneIn Radio and the skipping is no longer an issue. I found this tip from another user.
Well, I hope the ranting felt good, at least. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've been using Plex for podcasts (since I use it for my movie, TV show, and music libraries too) and it works great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi ericmuenks,

We released version 9.1 today which should help out with issues streaming from iOS devices. Please update your system and test things out. You can read more here.
The issue still exists. I just set up my play1 pair yesterday and the podcast skipping issue is STILL AND ISSUE.
Badge
This seems to still be an issue. Happening to me too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there,

If you are playing from the storage on an iOS device and you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on your network you will likely have playback issues. You can get the streaming working in a couple ways. First, you can disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices, and second you can disable auto lock in your iOS device's settings under display and brightness.

My advice is to bypass the issue by downloading your iOS library to a computer or NAS drive, and setting up a music share. This will allow you to play your music library without issues, even if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on your network, or if your iOS device goes into auto lock, goes to sleep, or goes offline entirely.
I listen to NYT The Daily, NPR, and Rachael Maddow podcasts every day without issue. Of course, there are no CrApple products involved, I simply ask Alexa to play them.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Of course, there are no CrApple products involved.

Love this!
For me, the idea of playing something from a mobile device seems flawed. As an occasional useful thing to do then fine, but otherwise, just stream from source? The stability should be much better than using a mobile device.