Sonos port drops out

• 19 December 2021
  • 3 replies

My Sonos port regularly (every 10 to 20 minutes) drops out music stream for about 0.5s-1s. I especially noticed in with Tune-In, but I’m pretty sure it also happens with other sources. The port is connected to an Marantz AVR. I tried both digital coax as well as analog connection, the symptoms are the same. The Port is connected to network by Ethernet, WiFi is disabled. I don’t have drop-outs with the AVR on any other source, nor do I have drop-outs with my other Sonos components (Move, Play:3, Playbar).

Has anyone else issues with drop outs on Sonos Port?

If sonos support reads this: I uploaded diagnostic logs shortly after dropouts:

3 replies

Correction: The drop outs happen with Sonos Radio (not Tune-In). I was now listening to YT Music closely for a while and could not notice any drop outs with this service.

I have exactly the same issue.

I have a Port and a Move, and the Move is connected to a NAD receiver. The port plays music and is connected with ethernet.(cable). I have drop-outs on different radio stations, tunein or sonos radio

The music stops for 1 second on both devices at the same time. I already had a few times contact with the support and they asked me to change the following:

• Change the move to 2.4 instead of 5ghz
  • They requested me to ENABLE the wifi on the port and let it connect also to 2.4ghz (and ethernet), the reason behind this was that it's better that it's all 2.4ghz and not a mix between 2.4 and 5ghz (i had 2.4ghz before)
  • They said to me to avoid having multiple access points, so i created an SSID on my router, so only sonos connects to it, and it doesn't roam over multiple access points.
  • They said it could be related to the bandwidth of the router, however this is not the case. When i have dropouts, i don't see any ping dropped to the internet. and i still have more then 90mbit available.

All contact with the support team didn't help. I still have dropouts. I requested if i could increase the buffer time on the port, but they said it was not possible. 
I used streaming radio for years (before i had sonos material) and never had issues.

So no idea what to do. 

If this doesn't get resolved i will send everything back. This is not the quality i pay for.

Case: 203527949

Diagnostic info: 1429231363
Timestaps last time i had issues:
20/12 - 19:23
20/12 - 19:33

After further investigation, the drop-outs only seem to happen (or are noticeable) with Sonos Radio, but not with YT Music nor TuneIn. In addition my Sonos Move is affected as well. So it doesn’t seem to be related with Sonos Port, but rather with the music source.