Sonos Port Audio Delay

• 30 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Is there a fix for the Sonos Port audio delay? It seems that 10.5 fixed the (really bad) delay when using the line in, however, this is still a slight echo delay when using it with my receiver with any source (such as Spotify). This occurs both with digital coax and analog RCA. It’s worth noting I don’t have this delay when using AirPlay 2 with my AppleTV (via HDMI) and the other Sonos speakers using AirPlay 2.

6 replies

The delay is in your receiver. Demonstrably there can be no ‘fix’ in the Port, as that would imply a negative delay. Sometimes a ‘direct’ setting in the receiver can be the solution, disabling all sound processing. 

A negative delay would be a solution, I believe this is what Google does. Demonstrably it’s an addressable problem though, as my AppleTV, which is connected via HDMI, is perfectly in sync, and HDMI is a longer, slower signal chain, and that’s with room correction and surround matrixing.

How does one create a negative delay?  How can the Port play the data before it is received? How does Google do this?

I can understand the Apple working to keep the audio and video in sync fairly easily, you just delay one or the other until they play at the same time, I just can’t make a negative delay in the Port work in my mind.

Having the same issue. Is there a way to adjust the delay to certain speakers/groups?

How does one create a negative delay?  How can the Port play the data before it is received? How does Google do this?

I can understand the Apple working to keep the audio and video in sync fairly easily, you just delay one or the other until they play at the same time, I just can’t make a negative delay in the Port work in my mind.

A negative delay could be achieved by adding delay to all the other outputs.

@ShaddyZ Agree. Is there a way to do this with Sonos?