sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

Userlevel 2
+1

New to Sonos and started to build playlists and wondered "How do I export/backup these?"

Seems like something desired and useful. I guess I'll be forced to use iTunes for playlists, and I really don't like using iTunes. 😉
Userlevel 2
Somewhat off-topic, but I'm going to point out here, for the benefit of those that may come across this in a search, that it is not possible to 'accidentally' factory reset a Sonos system.

A factory reset requires a specific, deliberate, sustained action. You can 'mistakenly' perform a reset, but it can't be done 'accidentally'.

While I agree with your point, I will mention that occasions can arise where the system needs to be reset. This weekend, the dreaded problem occurred where suddenly we had no access to Sonos from either of our computers or from our iPhone / iPad. It seems to mysteriously disappear and the software would show that no system exists. We tried LOTS of things before attempting a reset of the zone bridge, not nothing worked until we reset it. Then of course, it said there were no zone players, so we started to add them. After adding the 3rd zone player, we realized all the playlists were gone. I thought I understood they were stored in EVERY zone player. I guess not. However, until we confirm that fact, we are not setting up any more players.

I guess we won't bother recreating any new playlists until there is some sort of backup and restore process.... in other words, I guess that will never happen as it has been requested for YEARS and never been added. It just boggles my mind that such a nice system like this doesn't have a method to backup playlists easily.
Userlevel 2
+1

New to Sonos and started to build playlists and wondered "How do I export/backup these?"

Seems like something desired and useful. I guess I'll be forced to use iTunes for playlists, and I really don't like using iTunes. ;)

I gave up hoping for this feature.
And yes I agree, I don't like iTunes either.
Userlevel 2
Can you expand on this? Unless the system consists of a single player, I can't for the life of me think of a situation where an entire system factory reset would be required. A factory reset is so rarely required on just a single player that we go out of our way here to point out to users that it should not be used except as a last resort.

OK, so I have 4 zone players that have not yet been connected back to my system that seemed to have some sort of crash last weekend. I reset the zone bridge, yet when adding back in a couple of the players, my playlists were gone. I thought that would only occur if the players were factory reset..... which of course I did not do. What's the solution to this?
Try this:

Power off every Sonos component. Bring one of the non-reset units to your router, wire its Ethernet connection, and power it up.

Start an instance of the Sonos Desktop Controller -- preferably on a computer also wired to the router, but definitely one that has worked recently -- and reset the SDC (Help--> Reset Controller...). If you don't have computer Controllers, the iDevices will do, but you mentioned computer capability already.

When the Controller restarts, join it to the running ZonePlayer. See if the playlists survived (they should have if that unit was never reset).

Power up the remaining units that were not reset. Then, reset the Bridge and add it to the others. Now you can put the first unit back where it belongs, and reset the other previously reset units again. Your entire system should be back on the original system, with your playlist, favorites and music subscription info intact.

When you reset the Bridge, it acquired a separate household ID, and adding the subsequent players to it would clear their info. Should this glitch happen again, and a simple power cycle of the Bridge does not fix it, repeat those instructions above.

Again, don't reset a Sonos component unless Sonos Support (or a senior forum participant) instructs you to do so. As you've found, no good comes of it.
Userlevel 2
Try this:

Power off every Sonos component. Bring one of the non-reset units to your router, wire its Ethernet connection, and power it up.

Start an instance of the Sonos Desktop Controller -- preferably on a computer also wired to the router, but definitely one that has worked recently -- and reset the SDC (Help--> Reset Controller...). If you don't have computer Controllers, the iDevices will do, but you mentioned computer capability already.

When the Controller restarts, join it to the running ZonePlayer. See if the playlists survived (they should have if that unit was never reset).

Power up the remaining units that were not reset. Then, reset the Bridge and add it to the others. Now you can put the first unit back where it belongs, and reset the other previously reset units again. Your entire system should be back on the original system, with your playlist, favorites and music subscription info intact.

When you reset the Bridge, it acquired a separate household ID, and adding the subsequent players to it would clear their info. Should this glitch happen again, and a simple power cycle of the Bridge does not fix it, repeat those instructions above.

Again, don't reset a Sonos component unless Sonos Support (or a senior forum participant) instructs you to do so. As you've found, no good comes of it.

Gee, thanks for this nice detail post. This sounds like it should work. We will try it this weekend.

I hear you about not resetting a Sonos component, and by being a hardware / software designer for decades, I don't do things like this lightly. From everything I was seeing and hearing, this WAS my only alternative to reset the bridge, yet no one mentioned the information you gave me here. This is also another reason why I left 4 of the zone players off line until I could find some smart Sonos person to advise me :-)

The thought comes to mind that maybe a stronger warning is needed in the menu about the consequences and some details when a user attempts to reset. "Hey you, stupid dude, you really don't want to do that.... I mean it." Ha!

And of course with such a nice system like this, a "restore configuration" just seems absolutely essential to me, yet it does not exist.

Thanks again. We will try and post the results.
Keep in mind that Sonos Support is available to you for troubleshooting aid no matter how old your system is. With that kind of support infrastructure in place, I suspect Sonos prefers that you (not necessarily you personally, but 'you' the general Sonos owner) contact them when you encounter a glitch such as this rather than attempt to fix it yourself, so they don't warn you not to do something they don't expect you to do. That may be wishful thinking, but it is what it is :)

Of course, they also pick up the tab for our little unofficial playground here as well. We don't mind lending a hand, and there's enough regular participants here that most questions get addressed in a matter of hours -- sometimes much less than that -- even while Support is off-duty.

Do let us know once you recover your system. It may help someone else down the road.
The thought comes to mind that maybe a stronger warning is needed in the menu about the consequences and some details when a user attempts to reset. "Hey you, stupid dude, you really don't want to do that.... I mean it." Ha!
Yes ... except that you'll only see a menu if you're resetting a controller. Resetting a controller is Harmless.

A hardware unit has no intrinsic UI so -- unless Sonos implements voice synthesis and recognition -- it's hard to see how it's going to say "are you sure?" when you go through the factory reset power-up-with-the-button-pressed routine.
Userlevel 2
Try this:

Ok, where do I send the check for a million dollars? Because I probably would have bet that amount of money that this process wasn't going to work. However, thankfully, it worked perfectly as you described.

Well there was a glitch. When I connected one of the zone players to my router and ran the interface on the computer, it INSISTED that the zoneplayer needed to be updated before it would let me even look to see if a playlist was there. Being that I had at least 4 other zoneplayers that I knew were not reset, it was worth a shot.

After the software updated the firmware in the ZP, I saw the MANY playlists we had. Then I began plugging in the other ZPs. Interesting that about half of them were automatically recognized as soon as we powered them up, but the other half had to be added back in manually.

At any rate, all is well and the wife is no longer cursing Sonos for not yet having a restore function.

Much thanks to the smart members of the board such as yourself.

Bottom line is that I found the original problem is likely related to an old router that was corrupting lots of things. After replacing it, I almost never got the bridge to come back to life, but it finally did.
Glad it worked out.

Ok, where do I send the check for a million dollars?

A few hundred families in Boston just had a pretty tough week. Send it to them.
Glad it worked out.

A few hundred families in Boston just had a pretty tough week. Send it to them.

+1

617 Boston Strong!
Userlevel 2
Try this:

Hi, I have moved my system into a new house we have just renovated/remodelled and I have only started up my Play5 and the bridge.

It wouldn't work so I stupidly reset the controller on my mac and it all now works perfectly....EXCEPT we now have no playlists that were compiled over some time.

I have two ZP's that I have not started up or reconnected yet.

Do I understand correctly that I need to reset the controller AGAIN to see the playlists on the older ZP's per the instructions?

Cheers
That is correct. You are effectively in a similar situation to Richard Hamilton above, but you should not have ended up there unless you reset your Controller and then added the Bridge and Play:5 as new components. At any rate, you get one shot with one of the remaining players. If something goes wrong, contact Sonos Support before attempting anything with the last playlist-equipped player.
Userlevel 2
That is correct. You are effectively in a similar situation to Richard Hamilton above, but you should not have ended up there unless you reset your Controller and then added the Bridge and Play:5 as new components. At any rate, you get one shot with one of the remaining players. If something goes wrong, contact Sonos Support before attempting anything with the last playlist-equipped player.

NoBob, looks like your posts help others.

"Playstation" you did what I INITIALLY did, as NoBob stated. I reset the controller then added the bridge and Play 5 as new components (clearly the wrong thing to do). Once, I followed NoBob's instructions EXACTLY, I got everything back. As a result of this experience, I see that the playlists and other account information appear to be stored in every one of the Players... which is nice because it does have redundancy.

The fact of my router going nuts (and screwing up more things than just Sonos, effectively emulates the same scenario as yours (moving to a new house of system).

Again thanks and NoBob and others saving us a lot of time and try by not losing the playlists and account information.
Userlevel 2
+1 Playlist export

+1

Seems like something desired and useful. I guess I'll be forced to use iTunes for playlists, and I really don't like using iTunes. ;)
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
+ 1 would love to export my playlists.
+1 for exporting playlists, particularly to Spotify and iTunes.
Userlevel 2
Hi, there must be a uPnP function to read out the current queue. So the trick can be: put the playlist to export in the queue, read out the current queue by uPnP commands from a computer, save the file in m3u format.

Up to now, I see third party uPnP solutions which are far away from being usable without a server involved and deep PHP, perl or Java knowhow.

I'm pretty sure all giving a +1 in here would pay for a tool like that.
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting and saving playlists.

I am very impressed with the Sonos system - however the omission of such a basic feature would deter me from buying other Sonos products.

The GUI for the Controller on the PC could also do with some work. It appears very primitive compare with many of the rivals.
Userlevel 2
I am enraged by the lack of playlist import/export facilities. Even low end music streamers such as logitech squeezebox have this facility. I feel with the price of sonos kit that the developers should raise their game on this ....
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I am very impressed with the Sonos system - however the omission of such a basic feature would deter me from buying other Sonos products.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Nothing in the marketplace gets anywhere near the ease of use of Sonos.

Would I like the ability to export playlists, yes, is it a deterrent to buying more Sonos products, absolutely not. Let's keep things in perspective.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Nothing in the marketplace gets anywhere near the ease of use of Sonos.

Would I like the ability to export playlists, yes, is it a deterrent to buying more Sonos products, absolutely not. Let's keep things in perspective.

Agree totally. It would be great to have better playlist facilities etc but the rest of what we get from Sonos is far better than most other systems give.
You should see the problems people had when Simple Audio updated their software a few weeks ago !
Userlevel 2
+1 for playlist export/import. Preferably in some text format so I could edit it outside Sonos.

Exactly what I need. I have a bridge and 4 ZPs, and am using very long playlists representing eras of my life. Once playlists get longer than a dozen, you have to scroll to see all songs. Also, no search function. So the editor inside the Sonos software is limited.

I'd love to export the playlists, edit them in some other editor, and be able to re-import them. Unless Sonos decides to add a lot of features (search, subplaylists, better overview) into the Sonos playlist editor...
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists
of course 🙂
Badge
I stopped using Sonos playlists altogether. Switched to iTunes and I only use smart lists now. They get automatically updated when I add new tracks and I have for example playlists per decade or subgenre. All of these things are not supported by Sonos. The only thing I use the controller for is starting an iTunes playlist.