sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

+1 fromme also to be able to export a sonos playlist to another format (ideally one that can be sent to itunes) would make my wedding music playlist a lot easier to get sorted
Userlevel 2
Not being able to back-up play lists and even paths to libraries is a pretty big fault. When something goes wrong it makes it that much more irritating to repair.

While we're at it, it would be great to be able to export playlists to iTunes, too.
Userlevel 2
+1 from me for functionality to be able to export playlists
Userlevel 2
Hmmmm, I am afraid to change anything on my Sonos system for fear the it will wipe out my numerous playlists.

Any thoughts about a 3rd party solution for this? After 2 years since this thread and request was created, it still seems to not be a Sonos priority.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Sonos do seem to be at least looking at it according to the 'Ask Sonos' site.
Especially after a recent 'off-site' issue whereby users could lose access to all of their Players - and the only solution was a full reset - losing all favourites AND playlists. Hopefully Sonos were able to extend some form of 'extra' support for recovery - but also that it makes them even more aware of this silly lack of functionality and make it much more of a priority.
Userlevel 2
Sonos do seem to be at least looking at it according to the 'Ask Sonos' site.
Especially after a recent 'off-site' issue whereby users could lose access to all of their Players - and the only solution was a full reset - losing all favourites AND playlists. Hopefully Sonos were able to extend some form of 'extra' support for recovery - but also that it makes them even more aware of this silly lack of functionality and make it much more of a priority.

Ah, thanks for your opinion and information. Yup I heard about that problem from a friend in another city who had this very issue and lost over 50 playlists from various people in his family. He is furious and has cursed Sonos every time I see him. Actually, he is the one who got me thinking about this again since he asked for a solution (I didn't have one).

It's one thing to wonder why this feature was not a part of version 1.0 of the software, but it is even more puzzling to me because Sonos is such a beautifully designed system and is so reliable! Kudos for doing everything else very well. We really like this system.
...a recent 'off-site' issue whereby users could lose access to all of their Players - and the only solution was a full reset - losing all favourites AND playlists.

Can you expand on this? Unless the system consists of a single player, I can't for the life of me think of a situation where an entire system factory reset would be required. A factory reset is so rarely required on just a single player that we go out of our way here to point out to users that it should not be used except as a last resort.
+1
I've just signed up for a 30 day Spotify trial and I'm trying to create a playlist.

Initially, I created a small playlist using the PC version of Spotify, however Sonos doesn't see this, so there's no way of using it with my Sonos system! A bit of web research suggests this is a know issue and I should dump Spotify and try Napster! Mabye I will.

Next, I thought I would create the playlist within the Sonos PC interface. Works great, I've selected tracks from Spotify into the queue and saved it as a playlist. The trouble is, I want to play through the list on my PC and I can't as it will only play the tracks through the Sonos system, which is in the Kitchen! No problem I though, if I can export the Sonos playlist and import it into Spotify. "No can do" as this functionality doesn't exist. Unbelievable!

More research suggests it isn't a good idea to create playlists in Sonos as they run the risk of being lost at some point and they can't be backed up.

What to do?

It seems that the Sonos/Spotify integration isn't very good when it comes to playlists, which is very surprising in this age of online music.

Sonos, Spotify - Get your heads together and sort this out.

Maybe I'll give the 30 day free Napster trial a go to see if that's any better at integrating with my Sonos system. I won't hold my breath when it comes to playlists!
Userlevel 1
Badge
+1 for supporting playlist exports, please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
+1 for supporting playlist exports, please!

I assume you also want playlist imports? That is the trickier problem. Its literally trivial to extract a playlist, but writing it back to the Sonos is the hard part. People get upset if a bug wipes, say, all of their playlists, or the wrong one.

Code that reads data: safe. Code that writes data: potential to do bad things.
Userlevel 2
+1 for playlist export and import
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlist
Badge
+1 for playlist export/import. Preferably in some text format so I could edit it outside Sonos.
Userlevel 2
+1 to backup/restore, export/import playlists

Just lost my playlists to accidential reset to factory settings.
Just lost my playlists to accidential reset to factory settings.

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm going to point out here, for the benefit of those that may come across this in a search, that it is not possible to 'accidentally' factory reset a Sonos system.

A factory reset requires a specific, deliberate, sustained action. You can 'mistakenly' perform a reset, but it can't be done 'accidentally'.
Userlevel 2
This is very frustrating I to have lost my play lists not thinking that I would lose them during a reset. What I do now is simply open the desktop controller on my PC and take Screen Shots of My Playlist. It better than not having any backup or writing them all down. It is still a pain in the *** but at least I can rebuild them.
Userlevel 2
+1 for playlist backup
Userlevel 2
+1 please to allow me to export a playlist.
I must be missing something.

I accept that the way the Sonos loses it's internal playlists may be irritating, but why can't imported playlists be used instead?

These can be easily maintained and backed up however you want outside of the Sonos system.

Or is there some disadvantage in this approach?
amun,

The major disadvantage for some is the need to change their workflow and to learn to use another program. Many adults are loath to expend any effort to learn something new. They focus on the disagreeable few minutes of concentration required to learn something new rather than the long term benefit of the new skill. It's really a question of motivation. If pasting dreadful pictures for friends and kin to view on a "social" site is important enough, they'll invest the effort, but playlists are not that important -- hence the complaints. And, it is the human condition to spend more time complaining than would be required to learn.

Human condition aside, we really do need to be able to backup SONOS playlists.
One glaring disadvantage is that there's no equivalent imported playlist for the mixed-source Sonos playlist. All of my Sonos playlists are a mix of my local library and selections from MOG.

As you suggest, though, my playlists comprised solely of local material are done via .m3u imports.
Human condition aside, we really do need to be able to backup SONOS playlists.

TFT....

Fair enough - just wondered, like 😉
Badge
I would also say that Sonos isn't exactly cheap. In fact it is priced at the top end of the market. Therefore something as simple as being able to export a playlist to a text editor or into another media player should be taken as a given. The fact this has been asked for so long on these forums makes me wonder if the efforts of the marketing and design gurus is being focussed on fancy new eye candy and rebranding rather than striving to make the core product as good as we all know it can be.

+1 by the way - for what its worth.
I would also say that Sonos isn't exactly cheap. In fact it is priced at the top end of the market.

Depends on what market you speak of. Music streamers? Sure it's at the top of the market. But Sonos is more than a music streamer, it is a whole house audio system that happens to stream wirelessly. In that market, they are very cheap, considering the competitors (Nuvo, Niles, Russound, etc.) cost about 5-10 times what Sonos costs per room.
Userlevel 2
I think an extension or a link to internet radio should be incorporated. It will make the whole website more cool.