sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14
It is a joke you still can't backup your playlists. Even, as a minimum, from a PC to a local file that you could then import back in case of having to reset etc.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Welcome to the forum, AlanV!

Does the company have a position on this?

You might want to add your vote here.
Userlevel 2
+1 from me

This seems such a basic and useful facility I find it hard to believe that a range of quality products like this doesn't have it.

Does the company have a position on this?
Userlevel 2
+1 from me
Userlevel 1
I've just seen all my sonos playlists (several years worth) disappear - I plugged a new bridge in and thought I was just setting it up - it turned out I was restarting my whole setup - doh! Clearly user error on my part, but if I had the ability to do a backup I could have protected myself - the fact there are so many pages to this thread suggests there's a good chunk of demand for this, doesn't it?
Userlevel 2
What is the latest on this? Has Sonos developed a procedure for a "back up and/or restore"?

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Having spent hours ... HOURS... with my wife developing, tuning, re-editting, honing, making-perfect our New Years Eve Playlist - exporting would be a fantastic new feature. Somewhat dismayed to find it didn't exist already - the _only_ negative I have found thus far. Please Mods/Sonos Management, include a export playlist - even if only for use with the device it came from. The thought of losing my NYE mix fills me with dread - DREAD I tell you.

TL/DR: +1
+1 for me
Userlevel 2
+1 for me
Userlevel 2
+1

Managing the Sonos playlists in the controler is clunky and slow. Export/Import in a human readable format would allow easy manipulation for things like splitting, combining, re-ordering, etc.
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1 playlist export and import
yes please
please don't make us wait years
Badge
I stopped using Sonos playlists altogether. Switched to iTunes and I only use smart lists now. They get automatically updated when I add new tracks and I have for example playlists per decade or subgenre. All of these things are not supported by Sonos. The only thing I use the controller for is starting an iTunes playlist.
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists
of course 🙂
Userlevel 2
+1 for playlist export/import. Preferably in some text format so I could edit it outside Sonos.

Exactly what I need. I have a bridge and 4 ZPs, and am using very long playlists representing eras of my life. Once playlists get longer than a dozen, you have to scroll to see all songs. Also, no search function. So the editor inside the Sonos software is limited.

I'd love to export the playlists, edit them in some other editor, and be able to re-import them. Unless Sonos decides to add a lot of features (search, subplaylists, better overview) into the Sonos playlist editor...
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Nothing in the marketplace gets anywhere near the ease of use of Sonos.

Would I like the ability to export playlists, yes, is it a deterrent to buying more Sonos products, absolutely not. Let's keep things in perspective.

Agree totally. It would be great to have better playlist facilities etc but the rest of what we get from Sonos is far better than most other systems give.
You should see the problems people had when Simple Audio updated their software a few weeks ago !
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I am very impressed with the Sonos system - however the omission of such a basic feature would deter me from buying other Sonos products.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Nothing in the marketplace gets anywhere near the ease of use of Sonos.

Would I like the ability to export playlists, yes, is it a deterrent to buying more Sonos products, absolutely not. Let's keep things in perspective.
Userlevel 2
I am enraged by the lack of playlist import/export facilities. Even low end music streamers such as logitech squeezebox have this facility. I feel with the price of sonos kit that the developers should raise their game on this ....
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting and saving playlists.

I am very impressed with the Sonos system - however the omission of such a basic feature would deter me from buying other Sonos products.

The GUI for the Controller on the PC could also do with some work. It appears very primitive compare with many of the rivals.
Userlevel 2
Hi, there must be a uPnP function to read out the current queue. So the trick can be: put the playlist to export in the queue, read out the current queue by uPnP commands from a computer, save the file in m3u format.

Up to now, I see third party uPnP solutions which are far away from being usable without a server involved and deep PHP, perl or Java knowhow.

I'm pretty sure all giving a +1 in here would pay for a tool like that.
+1 for exporting playlists, particularly to Spotify and iTunes.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
+ 1 would love to export my playlists.
Userlevel 2
+1 Playlist export

+1

New to Sonos and started to build playlists and wondered "How do I export/backup these?"

Seems like something desired and useful. I guess I'll be forced to use iTunes for playlists, and I really don't like using iTunes. ;)
Userlevel 2
That is correct. You are effectively in a similar situation to Richard Hamilton above, but you should not have ended up there unless you reset your Controller and then added the Bridge and Play:5 as new components. At any rate, you get one shot with one of the remaining players. If something goes wrong, contact Sonos Support before attempting anything with the last playlist-equipped player.

NoBob, looks like your posts help others.

"Playstation" you did what I INITIALLY did, as NoBob stated. I reset the controller then added the bridge and Play 5 as new components (clearly the wrong thing to do). Once, I followed NoBob's instructions EXACTLY, I got everything back. As a result of this experience, I see that the playlists and other account information appear to be stored in every one of the Players... which is nice because it does have redundancy.

The fact of my router going nuts (and screwing up more things than just Sonos, effectively emulates the same scenario as yours (moving to a new house of system).

Again thanks and NoBob and others saving us a lot of time and try by not losing the playlists and account information.
That is correct. You are effectively in a similar situation to Richard Hamilton above, but you should not have ended up there unless you reset your Controller and then added the Bridge and Play:5 as new components. At any rate, you get one shot with one of the remaining players. If something goes wrong, contact Sonos Support before attempting anything with the last playlist-equipped player.
Userlevel 2
Try this:

Power off every Sonos component. Bring one of the non-reset units to your router, wire its Ethernet connection, and power it up.

Start an instance of the Sonos Desktop Controller -- preferably on a computer also wired to the router, but definitely one that has worked recently -- and reset the SDC (Help--> Reset Controller...). If you don't have computer Controllers, the iDevices will do, but you mentioned computer capability already.

When the Controller restarts, join it to the running ZonePlayer. See if the playlists survived (they should have if that unit was never reset).

Power up the remaining units that were not reset. Then, reset the Bridge and add it to the others. Now you can put the first unit back where it belongs, and reset the other previously reset units again. Your entire system should be back on the original system, with your playlist, favorites and music subscription info intact.

When you reset the Bridge, it acquired a separate household ID, and adding the subsequent players to it would clear their info. Should this glitch happen again, and a simple power cycle of the Bridge does not fix it, repeat those instructions above.

Again, don't reset a Sonos component unless Sonos Support (or a senior forum participant) instructs you to do so. As you've found, no good comes of it.

Hi, I have moved my system into a new house we have just renovated/remodelled and I have only started up my Play5 and the bridge.

It wouldn't work so I stupidly reset the controller on my mac and it all now works perfectly....EXCEPT we now have no playlists that were compiled over some time.

I have two ZP's that I have not started up or reconnected yet.

Do I understand correctly that I need to reset the controller AGAIN to see the playlists on the older ZP's per the instructions?

Cheers