sonos playlist export or back up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

239 replies

Userlevel 2
Would also be a very cool product enhancing, community pleasing feature.
+1 for exporting playlists
An overriding design tenant for the SONOS architecture is "don't write". While this makes it impossible for SONOS to damage a library, it also makes the back up tricky. Where would the backup go?
Buzz,

Just as a continuation there.... what if it was like an XML, m3u export style connection, where you are able to specify the location where you want to save, vs having it auto save in x location for you. That way if the user over-writes..........
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
An overriding design tenant for the SONOS architecture is "don't write". While this makes it impossible for SONOS to damage a library, it also makes the back up tricky. Where would the backup go?I THINK most people would just want this to be able to back it up to anywhere - Desktop, anywhere. Then they could do what they like with it - and use it to restore the playlists to a newly replaced system or a completely factory reset one?
I THINK most people would just want this to be able to back it up to anywhere - Desktop, anywhere.

... even an email attachment, or my dropbox account.

Anyway Sonos is already writing to my disk. Take a look in the DTC's User.config file. It contains things like my recent search terms, and holds the contents of my error log. It is no big stretch to store a backup of playlists somewhere.
And, after the export, there would need to be an import procedure too.

Various approaches could work, I think that getting the user interface right is the most difficult part.

Exporting an XML file would be very easy -- up to the point of specifying the location. Importing would be easy too -- after the file location was specified.

"Cloud" storage is another obvious choice, but which cloud? And, so far there is nothing compelling me to reach for the clouds.

Displaying a playlist in a web browser would be very easy too, but then what? Storing that page in a reusable format is not so straight forward -- especially when using a handheld controller. The inverse, calling up the archived playlist in a browser would be tricky because a desktop controller probably does not have access to a playlist stored on a handheld device. Or, would an Android device have access to a playlist stored on an iDevice?

Perhaps a widget or app could be developed for each platform, but this could not easily solve the cross platform access issue.
Userlevel 2
As a simple baseline, why not use a NAS area, assigned in a similar/same way as music folders, where sonos has r/w access; this could be browsed locally and accessed by mobile devices as well.

Box or google perhaps as well?
Userlevel 2
+1 for export/backup playlist feature

If Sonos can't provide very basic functionality such as export/backup and sort, perhaps they should drop the idea of supporting playlists altogether and stick with bare bones queue management.

I understand if there's fear of mission-creep or feature bloat in this area, but that shouldn't stop Sonos from implementing an essential feature.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
+ 1 more for accessible Sonos playlists

That said i am going to experiment with playlist on Synology NAS and see if I can import that. As others have said, if I have to use an imported playlist so what?
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Interesting. Was able to create an m3u playlist direct on the Syno NAS. It wasn't visible on the Sonos control panel until I updated the music library - makes sense.

But when I added it to the queue I got an 'Unable to add music to queue' error. All other m3u playlists that were inherited from the album rips can be added though.

Is this one of those wait and see what happens things I wonder?
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
... well not quite wait and see. I ran the re-index media server on the Syno NAS, and then updated the music library in Sonos and now the imported playlist works.

All cover art works too.

So, clearly, the way to approach this issue of backing up and editing Sonos playlists is to run it on its head and use the capabilities on the Syno NAS as the editable master copy and Sonos as the slave.
+1

Really don't get the feeling Sonos actually listen or do anything with Feedback
Userlevel 2
+1

You are right.

What i do not understand is why they don't just close the 'Sound Ideas' when the clearly don't listen anyway. That would save all the posters some time and be a lot more honest, and give Sonos a higher rank among "devoted" owners.

If 'Sound Ideas' where a person it would get good spanking like a misbehaving child. Just kidding 🙂
+1

You are right.

What i do not understand is why they don't just close the 'Sound Ideas' when the clearly don't listen anyway. That would save all the posters some time and be a lot more honest, and give Sonos a higher rank among "devoted" owners.

If 'Sound Ideas' where a person it would get good spanking like a misbehaving child. Just kidding :-)

I beg to differ:

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=29154

How can anyone say they don't listen after they just released a slew of changes to the Desktop Controller that were a direct result of postings here, and have announced the release of two other requested changes (Retina Display and landscape Android tablet)? :rolleyes:
Userlevel 2
+1

I really would like to export my playlists and use them in a worthless application like iTunes. 😃
Userlevel 2
+1 for export/backup of playlists please.

I have just borrowed a Play:5 from a friend to add to my two for a party and I suspect I have blown away all his playlists!
I have just borrowed a Play:5 from a friend to add to my two for a party and I suspect I have blown away all his playlists!
You will only have trashed his Sonos playlists if the Play:5 was his sole Sonos player. So long as he still has at least one player left on his home system he won't have lost anything. Factory reset the Play:5 before rejoining it to his system.
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1 for this request.

I have two Sonos systems: House and Campervan. Would love to export the playlists I've lovingly created!

I would imagine the desktop application to be the most suitable tool to add this functionality...

+1, I have two Sonos systems: House and Cottage with the same code (meaning all my Ipad can control teh Houses and the cottage system) It would be great to have the Sonos Playlist be saved or backup on the iCloud.

Thx
+1 from me.

A friend was at my house recently and we set up a Sonos playlist. She just purchased a Sonos setup and wanted to see how to use some feature....I'd like to be able to export the playlist - even just a list of the songs - in some format and email it.

Tks.
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 2
+ 1 for export and print sonos playlists
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 2
+1 for exporting playlists from me
+1 from me.

It simply would make SONOS an even greater reason to use as my main music base/hub